Singapore Expats

Tailor recommendations/experiences

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
LarryAustralia

Tailor recommendations/experiences

Post by LarryAustralia » Wed, 16 May 2012 9:43 am

Hi all,

My first post! :D

Was wondering whether anyone could recommend a good tailor in Singapore for mens suits.

I have googled tailors in Singapore and come up with the usual list, but have regretted buying tailored suits in HK so was hoping for first-hand experiences on this forum.

Suits will be mens suits - looking for good quality - and hopefully around S$700 per suit.

Any recommendations would be great, as well as a suggestion about what I should be paying for any suits that I get made.

Cheers!

Larry

LarryAustralia

Post by LarryAustralia » Wed, 16 May 2012 10:18 am

I should probably add that I am not about to spruik one tailor vs another, but am just after recent experiences and a warning about common pitfalls etc.

I have also googled this forum but am after more specific information than some of the answers previously provided.

Cheers,

Lawrence

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 16 May 2012 4:04 pm

Here is some specific info that may be helpful:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic84907.html

'Christian Armani' at the Far East Shopping Centre (Scotts Road) gets my vote.
Be careful what you wish for

cubex31

Post by cubex31 » Wed, 16 May 2012 11:15 pm

there's quite a few tailors... Kingsmen, CYC, Clothesmith at orchard, aston blake at millennia...

more details can be found on another forum
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/fashi ... 3-359.html

i would usually bring tailor either in BKK or SZ :)
but you got to bring a shirt/pants/suit for them and they do great in "copying"

much cheaper...
and you can just mail them as well

alfredneuman

Post by alfredneuman » Wed, 16 May 2012 11:27 pm

I think CYC is worth a visit. They are right across the street from the City Hall MRT station. I've has a few shirts tailored and they were pretty nice.

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Grumpy77 » Thu, 17 May 2012 7:25 am

On recommendation of SE on the other tailor thread, I went to Dave at Christian Armani. Picked up the suit and 2 shirts last week.

I am very happy with quality and process and 2nd the recommendation!

LarryAustralia

Post by LarryAustralia » Mon, 21 May 2012 3:20 pm

Grumpy77 wrote:On recommendation of SE on the other tailor thread, I went to Dave at Christian Armani. Picked up the suit and 2 shirts last week.

I am very happy with quality and process and 2nd the recommendation!
Sounds like this is a good pick. Do you remember what price you settled on per suit? I am not going to over-haggle with the guys because don't want them to cut corners to preserve their margins - but want to make sure I'm in the ballpark!

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Grumpy77 » Tue, 22 May 2012 10:05 am

You can't go on what my price per suit was since the price is highly dependent on the materials.

I went with high quality inputs and ended up at slightly under $1200 for suit (2 pants) and 2 shirts. For what I got, it seemed reasonable to me. I also don't overly haggle, I just know what it costs for an off the rack good quality suit and use that as my comparison. A tailored suit is worth a bit of a premium.

You can pick a lower quality cloth and get out of there much lower than I did. Up to you.