Singapore Expats

Singapore - a balanced view (Wink).........

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BillyB
Manager
Manager

Singapore - a balanced view (Wink).........

Post by BillyB » Fri, 11 May 2012 10:17 pm

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Re: Singapore - a balanced view (Wink).........

Post by NorrinRadd » Fri, 11 May 2012 11:01 pm

This is that wind-up site a local and FB connection of mine, who is actually a very good guy, and cool with foreigners, rants about, in usually anti-foreigner terms.

I think this is the place that posted that story I can no longer find about the guy trying to get his kid in school.

I don't visit that site much, I have seen however some very caustic and xenophobic comments posted there.

Kinda like a AB version of the ST.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 11 May 2012 11:33 pm

No shit sherlock - I thought your game was better than that!

Personally, I liked the story about Bin Laden being Singaporean and ordering all the food stalls at lau pa sat to poison foreigners...........

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 13 May 2012 4:12 pm

The comments are fascinating, thanks for posting. And very insightful.

I like this one too, an honest account of what it's like for many here:

http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/ ... e-tourist/

Change is coming I think.

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Sun, 13 May 2012 5:07 pm

That's one of the articles the above mentioned FB connection was ranting on about, and in this case rightfully so. Stuff like that gives people a very skewed opinion about foreigners here, and idiots like those three should be arrested.

I have not really spent any time on that site, as I got bored about things Singapore long ago and now could not care less, so am not sure how legit it is as a news source or if it's just an independent sounding board.
movingtospore wrote:The comments are fascinating, thanks for posting. And very insightful.

I like this one too, an honest account of what it's like for many here:

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Sun, 13 May 2012 9:48 pm

to be fair, its not just locals against foreigners, locals are rude towards locals too.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 13 May 2012 9:58 pm

sensei_ wrote:to be fair, its not just locals against foreigners, locals are rude towards locals too.
Equal opportunity offenders?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Sun, 13 May 2012 10:20 pm

just pricks with attitude.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 14 May 2012 9:09 am

movingtospore wrote: I like this one too, an honest account of what it's like for many here:

Comment #5 hit the nail on the head. "Education" is not a piece of paper you receive that automatically entitles you to jobs for the rest of your life. There are have-nots all over the world with an "Education". There are millions of people in the US working away at US$30k a year with great "Education". And many of them owe five to six figure student loans they pay off well into their 40s. The only thing uniquely-Singapore is the sense of entitlement the have-nots seem to have.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 14 May 2012 12:58 pm

i had a similar conversation with a taxi driver once too. He was telling me that its so sad for the poor in Singapore...etc. etc. etc..

I said : yah but your poor live in an HDB...the poor in my country live under bridges and shanties..

he shut up.

Anyway what they should be complaining about is the lack of action from their unions or labor groups who have the responsibility to protect them and represent them in labor issues...oh i forgot, they dont have any such groups.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 14 May 2012 3:11 pm

morenangpinay wrote:i had a similar conversation with a taxi driver once too. He was telling me that its so sad for the poor in Singapore...etc. etc. etc..

I said : yah but your poor live in an HDB...the poor in my country live under bridges and shanties..

he shut up.

Anyway what they should be complaining about is the lack of action from their unions or labor groups who have the responsibility to protect them and represent them in labor issues...oh i forgot, they dont have any such groups.
You made a mistake .. you should do what I do .. with a smiling face I ask "uncle where you stay ha ?? " and half the time the answer is some condo .. name ..

Followed by utter silence .. :)

I also had this chat with a group of Indian guys, who had come to invest in Singapore, and were very vocal that the govt allows foreign taxi operators to set up shop, but with local drivers .. and they were huffing and puffing .. and complaining that it is wrong to not allow foreign drivers .. considering they want to engage experienced drivers from Punjab (ah, every Punjabi is a great driver .. ) and when I told them that taxi driving is for Singaporeans only they were not convinced ..

PS: union ? did you realise what NTUC stands for ?? :D :D

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 14 May 2012 3:13 pm

ecureilx wrote:PS: union ? did you realise what NTUC stands for ?? :D :D
Who are they kidding?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 14 May 2012 3:16 pm

nakatago wrote:
ecureilx wrote:PS: union ? did you realise what NTUC stands for ?? :D :D
Who are they kidding?
Me, for a start :D

There was one news that Income had to apologise, when they refused to insure a child with one kidney .. and when the mother wrote a public letter saying that NTUC and Income has only profit as their objective, their CEO was all apology claiming that they are NOT profit driven and here to serve :)

I think it was in Last week's papers.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Tue, 15 May 2012 7:15 pm

All true, all true. But, when they don't enrage you, I think that sites like that are very insightful as to what is really behind a lot of the anti-foreigner sentiment at the moment. Right or wrong, it's how they seem to feel.

If the more extreme elements get their wish though, and send all foreigners packing I expect they'll be disappointed with the outcome. Oops...now we have no jobs.