Singapore Expats

Adding pages to US Passport

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Adding pages to US Passport

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 14 May 2012 10:34 am

Does anyone understand what the hell this means:

http://singapore.usembassy.gov/add_extr ... pages.html
The U.S. Embassy may add a maximum of three visa page sets to passports that remain in good condition. If your passport is eligible, we will be happy to add two visa page sets for the price of one (US$82).
So the first time I get two page sets for $82, and the second time I can only get one more page-set. But how many pages is a "page set"? Is it what I assume, and just one more page inserted into the binding, so two double sides pages for stamps?

I also found it interesting I can get a second concurrent passport. It seems more cost effective than adding pages. I can probably justify it by my business trips to Israel.
http://singapore.usembassy.gov/second-passports.html

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 May 2012 12:39 pm

A page set, if I'm not mistaken, is 26 pages (numbered A-Z) I believe. I don't have my old expired passport with me but my old one had three sets inserted.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Mon, 14 May 2012 6:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:A page set, if I'm not mistaken, is 26 pages (numbered A-Z) I believe. I don't have my old expired passport with me but my old one had three sets inserted.
What he said. As an aside, I'm not sure that I checked any boxes differently, but when I got my son's US passport here it came with 48 pages. My husband's only has 26, which he got in Cali before we came here. How many pages does yours have to start with? I'd say it's worth just getting a new one altogether.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 14 May 2012 6:19 pm

note - your 2nd passport is only valid for 2 years

(Its also worth showing the people at immigration when they stamp your passport where to stamp to save space. I've rarely encountered an official that won't help me this way.)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 15 May 2012 4:40 pm

poodlek wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:A page set, if I'm not mistaken, is 26 pages (numbered A-Z) I believe. I don't have my old expired passport with me but my old one had three sets inserted.
What he said. As an aside, I'm not sure that I checked any boxes differently, but when I got my son's US passport here it came with 48 pages. My husband's only has 26, which he got in Cali before we came here. How many pages does yours have to start with? I'd say it's worth just getting a new one altogether.
Interesting. Did you get it from the US Consulate here? The last page in mine is 28, of which 6 or 7 are already used by various rules and such no one ever reads. This was a 2-day express passport from San Francisco passport office. My daughter's is the same, and her's is from the US Consulate in Hanoi.

I don't want an all new one, as I'd have to change the passport number in at least a dozen places, and this one is already setup for Singapore and HK immigration express lane scanning.

Carteki, they're usually pretty good about stamping mine sequentially, so that isn't a problem. I saw that the second one is only good for two years... Whenever I go to Israel next, I'll expense it :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 May 2012 6:05 pm

Yep. Just go down to the US Embassy. They take care of it, no problem (as long as you have the scratch!

I like the mini-booklets much better. In the old days they had an accordion foldout that looked like the old credit card foldout about 2.5~3 feet long when unfolded. My first passport when I came over here back in '82 had one of those attached to almost every page in the passport. It was almost as thick as Strong Eagle's (should be a photo on the forum here somewhere-but his are the booklet type inserts). The old foldouts used to drive immigration officers as well as me absolutely crazy trying to find an entry stamp or any stamp for that matter. Bloody Indonesians would just open it up anywhere and stamp away. It took 2 pages for each entry into Indonesia back then!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 17 May 2012 12:48 pm

poodlek wrote:
Ok, the new (current) application form allows you to select the larger passport book. That option wasn't there two years ago.