Singapore Expats

"Artiste" - Singlish definition

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 11 May 2012 3:14 pm

Addadude wrote:From talking to a few of these 'artistes' over the years, I gather that term was imposed upon them SBC/TCS/Mediacorp. The idea being to promote them not just as actors but as hosts, singers, puppeteers etc. (Despite the fact that few if any of 'em can actually sing to save their life...) So the catch-all phrase became 'artiste'.

And JR8, if you think staying in a D'Amber, D'Marine etc sounds like a bad idea, imagine having The Morning Glory as your home address!

http://condo.singaporeexpats.com/condo- ... -GLORY.htm
Ever wondered why no one named a car "Uranus"? There's a Saturn but not Uranus.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 11 May 2012 4:11 pm

nakatago wrote:
Addadude wrote:From talking to a few of these 'artistes' over the years, I gather that term was imposed upon them SBC/TCS/Mediacorp. The idea being to promote them not just as actors but as hosts, singers, puppeteers etc. (Despite the fact that few if any of 'em can actually sing to save their life...) So the catch-all phrase became 'artiste'.

And JR8, if you think staying in a D'Amber, D'Marine etc sounds like a bad idea, imagine having The Morning Glory as your home address!

http://www.brandingstrategyinsider.com/ ... ssons.html

Numbers 7 & 12 are my favourites.....

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 11 May 2012 4:14 pm

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 11 May 2012 4:32 pm

I tried Golden Gaytime in Oz. It's quite good. I also have a pic somewhere in case no one believed me that the ice cream is really called Golden Gaytime.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 11 May 2012 4:55 pm

Some of them sounds strikingly homophonic with the original popular brand like Oral B/Oral Me. Does it mean it is a counterfeit product?

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Fri, 11 May 2012 7:15 pm

I was actually referring to those folks of actual world-class quality that have been brought in to headline performances here and have had the term "artiste" foisted on them.

The local artists who actually have talent and might go somewhere some day have a whole other challenge in that they're often automatically dismissed as nothing special just because they are "home-grown". So being grouped in with the "artistes" does them no favours...but that's another kettle of fish.

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Fri, 11 May 2012 10:54 pm

Huh!!??
nakatago wrote:For crying out loud, they made SMS an actor! As a token white, though, but an actor nonetheless! :P

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 11 May 2012 10:58 pm

Addadude wrote: And JR8, if you think staying in a D'Amber, D'Marine etc sounds like a bad idea, imagine having The Morning Glory as your home address!

Fantastic! :lol:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 May 2012 11:00 pm

I've appeared and a part time actor (not as an extra, e.g. movable props) in over 100 Mandarin Drama Serials spanning an 18 year period SBC/TCS/MediaCorp & MediaWorks as well as a number of advertising gigs with other outfits here between 1988 & 2006. Man of many talents! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 11 May 2012 11:05 pm

I'd long thought you were a bit of an artiste

:cool: :P

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Fri, 11 May 2012 11:06 pm

Cool. YouTube clip? Pics?
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've appeared and a part time actor (not as an extra, e.g. movable props) in over 100 Mandarin Drama Serials spanning an 18 year period SBC/TCS/MediaCorp & MediaWorks as well as a number of advertising gigs with other outfits here between 1988 & 2006. Man of many talents! :cool:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 May 2012 1:29 am

Utube in the 1990's? Used to have some on VHS but all mouldy and tossed now. Long before Cd's let alone DVD's. Occasionally I get told that I was seen on Channel 8 afternoon reruns. But I've never been one to watch them. Can always tell though as I get stares on the buses & MRTs the day after.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

amberblush

Post by amberblush » Mon, 21 May 2012 10:25 am

BigSis wrote:
JR8 wrote:A variation on this Frenchism employed to add sophistication is the condos that have named themselves such as D'Chateau, D'Banyan, D'Gallery. Ooh how sophisticated!

Except you cannot truncate De onto a consonant in this way (only vowels) so it just looks completely absurd. I've pondered whether I could live in a place with such a silly name and I really don't think I could do it :)
LOL I've often thought this about a place near me called D'Marine - it sounds ridiculous.

Silly condo and building names deserve a thread all of their own I think. Perhaps we should do a top 100 of daft names; Poshgrove East would be one to start with :?

Hahaha I love these comments. So true.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 21 May 2012 11:50 am

nakatago wrote:

There is a street named "Uranus" just barely outside San Francisco's Castro area. It was on a hill, and you could even frame the photo to get the skyline, the street sign, and the very large famous rainbow flag in the Castro. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. Either way, it is a stop on my "4-hour SF sight-seeing tour" I used to give all visitors who came to town.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 May 2012 12:01 pm

There was a Uranus Street in Bayou Vista, Louisiana, where I was living just prior to coming to Singapore. In fact, I lived on Polaris Street but it just never took flight.