Singapore Expats

What just happened to me?!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 May 2012 4:45 pm

I believe it's the 2nd time the royals have had an altercation on that island.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Fri, 11 May 2012 5:24 pm

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation

non-censored newslink to the incident.

As much as there is not much info / independent verification of what actually occured - I can imagine that both sides felt that they were just behaving "normally" and took offence at the other side taking offence.

Barri

Post by Barri » Wed, 16 May 2012 11:10 am

That is funny.
Yesterday Some woman asked me the same thing. I was in the cue when she tried to cut in before me so I told her:

me: we are also in the cue.
she: move on then!
me: where to?
she: singaporean?!? Where you from?!? huh! huh!

From that point, since I could kind of predict where this was going, I just didn't answer. (I mean come on; from cutting in line to a nationalistic debate: pfft I do not think so!) Which seemed to cause a sort of fit in the other person. :???:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 16 May 2012 11:52 am

Barri wrote: From that point, since I could kind of predict where this was going, I just didn't answer. (I mean come on; from cutting in line to a nationalistic debate: pfft I do not think so!) Which seemed to cause a sort of fit in the other person. :???:
You're a better person than me, that's for sure. I would have gotten angry and probably shown up on Stomp as a rude Ang Mo expat. :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 May 2012 11:56 am

That makes a couple of us!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Nailah
Regular
Regular

Post by Nailah » Wed, 16 May 2012 1:44 pm

BillyB wrote:Sounds like a paraffin lamp on too much meth......
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sounds like some Ang Moh just stole his girlfriend.
LOL!!! Shame there's no "like" button here.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 16 May 2012 2:11 pm

Nailah wrote:
BillyB wrote:Sounds like a paraffin lamp on too much meth......
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sounds like some Ang Moh just stole his girlfriend.
LOL!!! Shame there's no "like" button here.
We use "+1" like so:

+1
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Wed, 16 May 2012 5:54 pm

I don't think you're on stomp, I just checked :)

In Tampines once I had a group of lads shout "ang moh go home" to me. I was on my way to the bus stop so I just assumed they'd guessed correctly where I was going :wink:

Tigerslayer
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Tigerslayer » Fri, 18 May 2012 12:48 pm

BigSis wrote:I don't think you're on stomp, I just checked :)

In Tampines once I had a group of lads shout "ang moh go home" to me. I was on my way to the bus stop so I just assumed they'd guessed correctly where I was going :wink:
Thanks for checking!

I kinda wish it was though just so I could rate it :P

I think some people get their kicks out of the strangest things. Hopefully this kind of behaviour does not become a trend. Especially since singapore has at least outwardly seemed like such a racially tolerant place (when it doesnt come to politics).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 May 2012 1:05 pm

Tigerslayer wrote:Especially since singapore has at least outwardly seemed like such a racially tolerant place (when it doesnt come to politics).
You have GOT to be kiddin'! If you only knew. Outwardly, yeah, they appear to be tolerant. But behind closed doors, you wouldn't believe the trashing they give to the other races. They are only tolerant out of fear.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 18 May 2012 1:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tigerslayer wrote:Especially since singapore has at least outwardly seemed like such a racially tolerant place (when it doesnt come to politics).
You have GOT to be kiddin'! If you only knew. Outwardly, yeah, they appear to be tolerant. But behind closed doors, you wouldn't believe the trashing they give to the other races. They are only tolerant out of fear.
\

I wonder what's better . . . keeping it inside or being outwardly racist like the pricks here . . . and that even goes for the politicians. Quite an amazing place and even more amazing that we haven't moved back to Singapore (but then there are compensations . . . :) )

'nuff said Image

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Sat, 19 May 2012 10:35 pm

+1

I once had a housemate from hell who didn't pay me for her share of the rent, deposit, etc... But I did learn from her (she's Singaporean and ethnic Chinese) when she admitted that they're all racist but they can't show it because it's against the official line.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 20 May 2012 10:16 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:
+1

I once had a housemate from hell who didn't pay me for her share of the rent, deposit, etc... But I did learn from her (she's Singaporean and ethnic Chinese) when she admitted that they're all racist but they can't show it because it's against the official line.
I would hardly think that your ex-housemate had the clearance from all Chinese to say that . . . but she's probably right.

I think everyone is a bit of a bigot . . . my wife is Chinese but I still can't stand certain traits exhibited by 'her' ethnicity and find them the least tolerable bunch of the main three.
My business partner is Indian and he pretty much refuses to deal with Indians, though he uses them to open doors . . .

'nuff said Image

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 20 May 2012 10:30 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Asian_Geekette wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: You have GOT to be kiddin'! If you only knew. Outwardly, yeah, they appear to be tolerant. But behind closed doors, you wouldn't believe the trashing they give to the other races. They are only tolerant out of fear.
+1

I would hardly think that your ex-housemate had the clearance from all Chinese to say that . . . but she's probably right.

I think everyone is a bit of a bigot . . . my wife is Chinese but I still can't stand certain traits exhibited by 'her' ethnicity and find them the least tolerable bunch of the main three.
My business partner is Indian and he pretty much refuses to deal with Indians, though he uses them to open doors . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 22 May 2012 12:06 pm

poodlek wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:
Asian_Geekette wrote: +1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM
:lol: Excellent - thank you for that! :D

(Oh, I should clarify, my partner uses other Indians to open doors . . . of the business kind, not has them open doors for him as he struts past!)

'nuff said Image