Singapore Expats

UK drivers license wanting to drive a moped in Sing

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
Edwardmartinhill

UK drivers license wanting to drive a moped in Sing

Post by Edwardmartinhill » Sun, 06 May 2012 6:35 pm

Hi, I am relocating back to Singapore at the begining of June and want to buy a moped when I get there. I have a UK drivers license - not a bike license. I want to get a Can anyone help with the following:

1) Do I need to have experience of driving a moped in the UK before driving legally in Singapore? I recognise it would be advised, but is it a legal requirement?

2) Do I need a UK moped/bike license to be able to legally drive a moped in Singapore?

3) What actions do I need to take when I arrive in Singapore to drive legally on the road?

4) Where would you suggest I find a decent but not too expensive moped once in Singapore (circa $2000)?

I would be happy to speak to anyone about answers to these questions so please do get in touch.

Many thanks,

Ed Hill

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Sun, 06 May 2012 6:47 pm

As far as I know you will need a specific licence to drive a motorcycle in both the UK and SG to ride a moped. It should be relatively easy to convert the licence if you have a UK one. If you get the licence in Singapore it is a fairly lengthy drawn out process (in my mind) with a "package of lessons" that needs to be taken before you can take the test.

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bluenose » Mon, 07 May 2012 10:16 am

In the UK you need CBT to even ride a moped, but possibly that would not be valid here in Singapore.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 11 May 2012 2:51 am

there are no mopeds in singapore... (maybe a few really old cubs) because there is no such classification locally.

most are 75cc and upwards.