Singapore Expats

Singaporean relocate back to Singapore with PRC wife & son

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
edward1967

Singaporean relocate back to Singapore with PRC wife & s

Post by edward1967 » Sun, 06 May 2012 9:13 pm

Hi All ,

I am a Singaporean reside in China Kunming for 6 years doing some small business , i am thinking of relocate back to Singapore this year July after my son's Secondary school final exam cos my mother is getting old ( 77 years old ) with my china wife & son so that we can takecare of her . Here are some questions require all your advise :-

1) My wife & i ROM in Singapore since 2006 ( 6 yrs ) shall i apply LTVP or PR for her ? For LTVP how long can she stay in Singapore can it be extend ?

2) I do not have any income proof ( CPF / Income Tax ) in Singapore can i use my China income statement when i sponsor my wife or can i bank in some money into local bank ?

3) My son was from my wife's previous marriage & he is 17 years old now if i like my son to study in Singapore , beside applying student pass what other better solution i can use ?

4) If i want my son to be Singapore citizen so that the education fee can be cheaper if he study in Singapore what is the procedure & what is the chances for him to success ?

Sincerely looking forward to all yr reply . Tks!! :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 06 May 2012 9:44 pm

1) Look up LTVP+. You should qualify if you've been married that long.

2) I imagine this is OK. Not sure though.

3) So he is step-son? Just so you don't confuse anyone here or with ICA, he is not your son legally unless you've adopted him. Make sure you keep that clear on the paperwork and when talking to them.

4) I don't think there is a good option for this. Nothing that would get him his citizenship in any decent enough amount of time to help with studies. Maybe by the time he had kids though :P

edward1967

Post by edward1967 » Sun, 06 May 2012 11:11 pm

Hi zzm9980 ,
Tks for yr reply , am i right to say i better get a school to enroll my stepson then apply for student pass before we move to Singapore . When we reach Singapore i will apply LTVP+ for my wife , when my wife's LTVP+ approve then she will apply LTVP for my stepson .

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 07 May 2012 1:33 am

You need to have complete adoption papers that gives you the right as a guardian
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 07 May 2012 8:52 am

Yeah, do what MS suggests. It will make everything easier. I don't think your wife with LTVP+ will be able to apply on her own for LTVP for her son.

Also, if you do the adoption papers in PRC, you'll need them in English. See if the government agency there offers certified official translations, that will be your easiest option. Otherwise you'll need to get them translated, then some kind of authenticated/notarization that it's legit. I don't know the process with PRC, so do your research before you show up in Singapore with just 写汉字的 paperwork :)

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 07 May 2012 12:23 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:You need to have complete adoption papers that gives you the right as a guardian
Not absolutely neccessary, the OP can apply for a number of visas without official adoption papers including PR

edward1967

Post by edward1967 » Mon, 07 May 2012 12:38 pm

Hi Saint ,
Can i know what is the meaning of op that you mentioned ? Tks !! :D

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 07 May 2012 12:51 pm

edward1967 wrote:Hi Saint ,
Original Poster, as in you

edward1967

Post by edward1967 » Mon, 07 May 2012 1:01 pm

Saint wrote:
edward1967 wrote:Hi Saint ,
Original Poster, as in you
oic Tks !

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 07 May 2012 5:43 pm

Saint wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:You need to have complete adoption papers that gives you the right as a guardian
Not absolutely neccessary, the OP can apply for a number of visas without official adoption papers including PR
\

I disagree. there are many cases involving Sger trying to be their foreign wife and adopted son into SG under LTSVP. If the child is above 21 then the child is not eligible as the child is considered adult
If the child below this age the full adoption papers showing full custody of child of local hubby including ROM > There is one case here between an ex-con trying to bring his 4 yr old child for schooling and failed
MCYS will need to see full adoption papers. In his case , the biological dad refuses to sign full custody

55. Dr Maliki has also commented about the impact of our policies on immigration facilities for foreign spouses of Singaporeans and how we can better educate them on the requirements they need to fulfill for them to bring in their foreign spouses.

56. Sir, let me assure Dr Maliki that our policies on long-term immigration facilities take into account the preservation of family unity. We are mindful of the need to manage this carefully, as the proportion of marriages involving a Singaporean and a foreign spouse has increased from about 21% in 2003 to almost 30% in 2005.

57. But the Member well knows that marriage to a Singaporean does not automatically guarantee that the foreign spouse will be granted long-term immigration facilities. However, even in cases where the foreign spouse is not eligible for permanent residence (PR), we would still consider granting the foreign spouse a Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) to enable him or her to remain in Singapore.

58. Essentially, we need to ensure that foreigners given PR status do not become a burden to the State. Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents sponsoring their foreign spouses or children for PR would need to show that they are able to support them financially. Nevertheless, as I had said earlier, the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) adopts a sensitive and calibrated approach. Based on ICA’s records, the approval rates for PR and LTSVP applications by foreign spouses have been relatively stable for the past three years, at 60% and 85% for PR and LTSVP respectively.

59. Where appropriate, ICA has been providing applicants with the reasons for rejection, to help them understand what they can do to improve their eligibility when they re-apply.

60. In short, Sir, ICA’s guidelines governing the grant of long-term immigration facilities to foreign spouses are sufficiently compassionate to allow deserving spouses to stay in Singapore, keeping in mind the importance of

http://www.mha.gov.sg/news_details.aspx ... 66cjZyQ%3D
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 May 2012 8:39 pm

Unless the foreign spouse ran foul of MOM's WP rules. Then all bets are off and the Singaporean Child is doomed to have to grow up without the mother's love. Pretty Shitty if you ask me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

edward1967

Post by edward1967 » Tue, 08 May 2012 12:33 am

zzm9980 wrote:Yeah, do what MS suggests. It will make everything easier. I don't think your wife with LTVP+ will be able to apply on her own for LTVP for her son.

Also, if you do the adoption papers in PRC, you'll need them in English. See if the government agency there offers certified official translations, that will be your easiest option. Otherwise you'll need to get them translated, then some kind of authenticated/notarization that it's legit. I don't know the process with PRC, so do your research before you show up in Singapore with just 写汉字的 paperwork :)
Tks for yr info , kunming here is less develop than other provinces in China and no Singapore Embassy here only in Beijing , shanghai .. perhaps i will try to contact the Embassy see whether they provide official translations. :D

edward1967

Post by edward1967 » Tue, 08 May 2012 12:44 am

Hi MS tks for yr reply , all the while i take it for granted that since the child is under my wife's custody as her new husband i am automatic become his father but actually under the law i am still not his father but only as a guardian ! In this case officially he is still not my son if i am going to apply LTVP for him . Tks for alerting me regarding this issue . :D

Btw i had read thru the MHA articles that you sent but it was published in year 2006 is there any changes during this 6 years ?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 08 May 2012 8:49 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Saint wrote:
\

I disagree. there are many cases involving Sger trying to be their foreign wife and adopted son into SG under LTSVP. If the child is above 21 then the child is not eligible as the child is considered adult
If the child below this age the full adoption papers showing full custody of child of local hubby including ROM > There is one case here between an ex-con trying to bring his 4 yr old child for schooling and failed
MCYS will need to see full adoption papers. In his case , the biological dad refuses to sign full custody
MS, please read my post, I didn't say you definitely didn't need official adoption papers, just not absolutely neccessary. I know 2 local friends who have successfully been able to bring their foreign step children to Singapore without official adoption papers, not for the want of trying may I add. I also know a family who have recently become PR including the main sponsors step son even though the not legally adopted.

I also said the OP can apply for a number of visas including PR, I didn't mention Citzenship which the OP mentioned.

I know you are suppose to be the fountain of all knowledge but please respect when others post. Like myself, I wouldn't just post just for the fun of it unless it was factually correct.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 08 May 2012 3:39 pm

Saint, to disagree does not mean I am poking fun at you. If you feel I am doing that , then you are wrong. Neither my intention nor my statement states anything that construe to what you interpreted.

I did not and never had claimed I am a fountain of knowledge. I was not talking about citizenship and PRship application. We are only talking about LTSVP or student pass for the child.
Your friends got it base on their circumstances and merits. I have no doubt that they might tick all the boxes for the pass to get approve.
My intentions was making sure that OP covers all the bases. One of it is too have full custody of child if the child is under 21.

If you take offend with my statement, I apologise.