Singapore Expats

Gold (actually any colour) Flex

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
crossy

Gold (actually any colour) Flex

Post by crossy » Thu, 03 May 2012 8:21 pm

Hi Chaps. Noob here.

I actually live in Bangkok but I'm in Singapore for a month or so, in-between earning an honest crust I'm looking for a few bits and pieces that I've failed to source in Thailand.

Today's quest.

I'm looking for some flex for my pendant light fittings. We have very high ceilings (>5m), the flex dropper that comes with the fittings will leave them as a hazard to low flying aircraft so I need to fit longer droppers.

The flex in question is 2 x 0.75mm2 round (about 5mm in diameter) and is gold in colour. We need about 35m for all our droppers. Of course 3-core will do the trick just as well if that is all that's available.

Anyone seen something like this around Singapore? It's not absolutely essential that it's gold in colour but that would be best match to the fittings.

Mods, please feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum :)

EDIT Oops fixed the image size :)

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by teck21 » Fri, 04 May 2012 10:32 am

You could try the Balestier area, a million lighting shops around there. Mostly terrible rip-offs.

In the absence of better suggestions, you could try Chan Huat there. They have been operating in this stretch for over 20 years and have several shopfronts, some of which I regularly see their staff doing stuff with wires/cables etc. Definitely not a fly-by-night operation.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 04 May 2012 4:33 pm

My first address would be Sim Lim Square (NOT Tower!), although this kind of out-of-the-ordinary stuff is generally hard to find in Singapore.
I was looking for black wire for a pre-war standing fan a couple of years ago and all I found was white and grey. I settled for a black-with-white-dots textile covered high-temp wire in the end (as is used for e.g. irons).

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 04 May 2012 6:15 pm

http://www.homely.com.sg/

They definitely have such cable types by reels. Of course not the golden ones. On the other hand the material is typically PVC. Hang your staff on the cables and spray it (sparingly, rather dry spraying) with any popular automotive can-paints and it should look ok.

BTW, its kind of irony that you look for it in SG. I would say it should be much more easily to buy it in Thailand.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 05 May 2012 11:48 am

beppi wrote:My first address would be Sim Lim Square (NOT Tower!)
Beppi, are you sure you meant it that way round? I would look in SL Tower for this kind of item, not SL Square.
Be careful what you wish for

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sun, 06 May 2012 3:45 pm

Of course, I got it wrong ... Sorry!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 06 May 2012 4:09 pm

And if all else fails, Homely Hardware, Ubi Avenue 3, has a lot of different types of wiring... don't know if they have this species, though.