Singapore Expats

Arrested for theft in singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 05 May 2012 2:49 pm

I can't comment re: your friend as I am not a lawyer, I just read stories here that have happened to other people. Plus we only have your side of the story, and not that of the owner of the sunglasses.

I posted the above link to vvleaandrews so you can see the possible serious consequences. The risk of a similar fate happening to your friend is higher if he has no legal representation.

p.s. I don't understand how your friend found the sunglasses under a table. What table, where, was it in a shop? You said the police arrested him later at home. How did they find out where he lives?

lovesg_04

Post by lovesg_04 » Sat, 05 May 2012 2:57 pm

He just found it under the counter when he remitted the money.

he was traced tru CCTV and got his IC information. That's why we was traced by the police.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Sat, 05 May 2012 3:28 pm

If he found the sunglasses under the counter, why don't he just pass to the shop?

Since you mention your friend is new in Singapore and you also mention he was busy with work.

This side of story, don't think it goes well to the police.

lovesg_04

Post by lovesg_04 » Sat, 05 May 2012 3:56 pm

do think this is one of the serious case?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 05 May 2012 4:01 pm

lovesg_04 wrote:do think this is one of the serious case?
No. But if he's on a WP/EP, it's probably enough to be a serious concern on next renewal.

lovesg_04

Post by lovesg_04 » Sat, 05 May 2012 6:14 pm

is there any waiver or action need that there's no problem for EP renewal in future

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 05 May 2012 8:56 pm

lovesg_04 wrote:is there any waiver or action need that there's no problem for EP renewal in future
The government has no shortage of applicants that don't have a habit of picking up and taking property that doesn't belong to them, so no need yet to dip into the pool of applicants that do.

So unless he has a super special in demand talent like fixing train cars with cable ties, he's probably just screwed.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 06 May 2012 9:28 am

Methinks this is a third person scenarios

Once you have blemish your record forever it will the stain will be there

You can remove the stain but the smells still lingers for years to come
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sun, 06 May 2012 10:20 am

Mistake, should have left them where they were or handed to the shop/bar/wherever he was. Story doesn't wash with me, I wouldn't like his chances without legal representation!

Good Luck, if this is the true story (I have doubts) then he deserves not to have problems.
nutnut

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 06 May 2012 11:46 am

From a MOM's perspective having a petty thief or yet one more person in the country depraved from a common sense is probably not that different. In other words I am afraid he is pretty done.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 06 May 2012 1:16 pm

nutnut wrote:Mistake, should have left them where they were or handed to the shop/bar/wherever he was. Story doesn't wash with me, I wouldn't like his chances without legal representation!

Good Luck, if this is the true story (I have doubts) then he deserves not to have problems.
The facts as stated don't quite add up, do they?

Expat_guy

Re: causation

Post by Expat_guy » Tue, 08 May 2012 3:32 pm

ecureilx wrote:
valpo wrote:I really want the judge to consider her reason of stealing the phone if its was the truth.
However, as I heared that the crimes' rate in Singapore is zero ! :?
Low crime, but not no crime ..

If you want ZERO crime, I know a place in Philippines, ZERO crime .. and from what i know - maybe that's the only place in the world, apart from some cold ice research station in Antartica .. maybe ..
Theftless village in India (but are there any other kind of crimes committed in the village?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shani_Shingnapur

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: causation

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 08 May 2012 3:58 pm

Expat_guy wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
valpo wrote:I really want the judge to consider her reason of stealing the phone if its was the truth.
However, as I heared that the crimes' rate in Singapore is zero ! :?
Low crime, but not no crime ..

If you want ZERO crime, I know a place in Philippines, ZERO crime .. and from what i know - maybe that's the only place in the world, apart from some cold ice research station in Antartica .. maybe ..
Theftless village in India (but are there any other kind of crimes committed in the village?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shani_Shingnapur
I am not boasting about the place I visited, but, one of the shops in a there there has no cashier and, the police station is EMPTY - the cops are part timing in other jobs and not full time.

Oh, the doctors there have never treated any serious injuries due to fights or otherwise - they see accidents and such ... couldn't have been more safer I guess :D :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 May 2012 4:06 pm

Lost Springs, WYOMING, USA 82224
Monowi, NEBRASKA, USA 68746

No crime, no police, no doctors, both are incorporated and has their own zip codes. Population? 1
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Tue, 08 May 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 08 May 2012 4:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Monowi, NEBRASKA, USA 68746

No crime, no police, no doctors, but is incorporated and has it's own zip code. Population? 1
Aw, shucks, can never beat that :D :D