Singapore Expats

The new criteria for EP's w.e.f. January 2012

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 8:34 pm

How does a single O level holder, with no living parents, and under 35 survive on 1200/month as an admin assistant? Rent a room in an HDB Flat? Rooms cost on the average of 500-700/mo. After CPF they have 1000 left, after rent they have around 600 left. Minimum of 300/mo for food, 250 for transportation and now they have 50 bucks left for clothing, gifts, outpatient services (minimum of $8 at the polyclinic without meds). How to save for a flat? Go to a movie, anything for that matter other than eat, sleep and work. It can't be done. Cook at home? Most rented rooms do not have cooking priviledges.

Money for additional training? where? Also, without a decent income where one can survive, where do you think their productivity levels will be?

JR8, I don't know the answer, but with 15 years in HR/recruitment at both ends of the spectrum, I know the present system of cajoling doesn't work.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 8:44 pm

Woh-k :)

I was just saying I don't support a minimum wage policy.

I also have difficulty seeing how employers are exploiting workers, unless they are all in some vast cartel agreeing to do so.

Furthermore I do not see why companies should look beyond anything but their bottom line.

Unionism broke many companies, as well as Detroit. It and 'protective' legislation are no simple panacea.

butterdogpoppy

Post by butterdogpoppy » Sat, 05 May 2012 1:51 pm

Let say my existing EP will expire on Oct 2013, does it mean for the next renewal of my EP, its validity period will be only 1 year? And my company will have to renew for me annually?

Sorry for this silly question but I would like to ensure what I know is correct.

NILESH2

Post by NILESH2 » Sun, 06 May 2012 1:51 pm

Dear All,

My Employment Pass is getting expire on 12/06/2012, how i will get one time renewal from MOM as per their below announcement -
“For existing EP holders whose passes expire...

-before Jan 1, 2012 - They will receive a one-time renewal of up to two years, based on the rules that existed before July 1 this year

-between Jan 1 and June 30, 2012 - They will receive a one-time renewal of up to one year, based on the current EP criteria.

-on or after July 1, 2012 - they will be subject to the new EP criteria”

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 May 2012 4:13 pm

By your employer renewing your before it expires. ](*,) #-o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 May 2012 4:14 pm

However, there are no guarantees that it will get renewed even then. Depends on the powers that be.

NILESH2

Post by NILESH2 » Sun, 06 May 2012 7:04 pm

What Mean of "POWER" ?

One time Renewal should be given by MOM as they announced, otherwise it is very difficult for employer to find out right person at the last movement for that company and if MOM not given renewal for their employee then ultimately impact on company's operation.

NILESH2

Post by NILESH2 » Sun, 06 May 2012 7:13 pm

Singapore is know in worldwide as very transparent country, and if government own self not following their announcement then what we do ?

Mom Cleary declare that they will give one time renewal on old criteria basis to those who EP will expiry between 01/01/2012 to 30/06/2012, they did not declare any other terms and condition.

MOM must give time to Employer to adjust accordingly

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 May 2012 7:44 pm

NILESH2 wrote:Singapore is know in worldwide as very transparent country, and if government own self not following their announcement then what we do ?

If you don't like the way Singapore conducts it's immigration policies, go elsewhere. Simple isn't it? No country's immigration policies are transparent. You should know that.

Mom Cleary declare that they will give one time renewal on old criteria basis to those who EP will expiry between 01/01/2012 to 30/06/2012, they did not declare any other terms and condition.

It has always been the government's position to switch direction as and when the need arises.

MOM must give time to Employer to adjust accordingly

Says who? You? :roll: Mom doesn't need to do any such thing. They try to, but it's not always possible. You need to get a grip. The country isn't here to please you, nor operate the way YOU think is should. As I said. if you don't like it. I'm sure they will be more than happy to have you go elsewhere.
They can just reject you by telling you that you no longer meet their criteria because they never publish exactly what the criteria is. Has already happened a number of times back in October of last year when they first posted the new information. I lost several that should have been renewed but were rejected on the new tightened criteria. If they want you gone, you will be gone, of that you need not have any worries.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 06 May 2012 7:58 pm

Something I have learned to keep in mind when dealing with immigration to any country is that unless you're a citizen, you are entitled to nothing. So it's a good policy to stay informed, mind your P's and Q's, and be at least mentally prepared to drastically change course.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 May 2012 8:48 pm

Spot on. :cool:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 06 May 2012 9:19 pm

NILESH2 wrote: Mom Cleary declare that they will give one time renewal on old criteria basis to those who EP will expiry between 01/01/2012 to 30/06/2012, they did not declare any other terms and condition.
That only applied to salary criteria. None of the other criteria is published. Think of it like this: If your EP application is stellar except you fall a bit under the new salary cap, you're probably OK for that renewal. If not, well, better start packing your bags.
poodlek wrote:Something I have learned to keep in mind when dealing with immigration to any country is that unless you're a citizen, you are entitled to nothing.
Even citizens don't get much help in a lot of places :P

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 06 May 2012 10:42 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
poodlek wrote:Something I have learned to keep in mind when dealing with immigration to any country is that unless you're a citizen, you are entitled to nothing.
Even citizens don't get much help in a lot of places :P
True enough, some people can't get a break no matter where they go.

butterdogpoppy

Post by butterdogpoppy » Sun, 06 May 2012 11:55 pm

butterdogpoppy wrote:Let say my existing EP will expire on Oct 2013, does it mean for the next renewal of my EP, its validity period will be only 1 year? And my company will have to renew for me annually?

Sorry for this silly question but I would like to ensure what I know is correct.
Can any kind soul advise me on this? Thanks.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 07 May 2012 9:01 am

butterdogpoppy wrote:
butterdogpoppy wrote:Let say my existing EP will expire on Oct 2013, does it mean for the next renewal of my EP, its validity period will be only 1 year? And my company will have to renew for me annually?

Can any kind soul advise me on this? Thanks.
No, the validity will be whatever it was renewed for. You will be evaluated under the new (current) criteria for EP eligibility.

The 1-yr renewals mentioned were special cases of grandfathering renewals in on the old salary criteria for those that may not qualify. Say you had a P2 and only make $4k/month. You get the one-year renewal of your P2 at that salary. A new application during the same period of time would not qualify because the salary is too low.