Singapore Expats

PR approved, but currently overseas, any advices?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
mari0010

PR approved, but currently overseas, any advices?

Post by mari0010 » Thu, 03 May 2012 8:12 pm

Dear all,

I just checked into ienquiry and the status of my PR application is "approved". I applied on mid-february this year.
However, I'm currently overseas (Israel) for work assignment until december. Hence my inability to go to ICA in person.

May I know is there anyone with this kind of experience before?
Any advices will also be greatly apprieciated.
*I'll call the ICA first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Regards,

Mary

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: PR approved, but currently overseas, any advices?

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 03 May 2012 8:56 pm

mari0010 wrote:Dear all,

I just checked into ienquiry and the status of my PR application is "approved". I applied on mid-february this year.
However, I'm currently overseas (Israel) for work assignment until december. Hence my inability to go to ICA in person.

May I know is there anyone with this kind of experience before?
Any advices will also be greatly apprieciated.
*I'll call the ICA first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Regards,

Mary
Has your local company in Singapore posted you abroad for the current assignment?

mari0010

Re: PR approved, but currently overseas, any advices?

Post by mari0010 » Thu, 03 May 2012 8:58 pm

Yes, I'm working for a local university and they sent to Israel last month

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 04 May 2012 8:30 am

You can only complete the PR in Singapore, can not be done overseas. If you don't complete the process within the timeline as stated on the ICA approval letter you will lose the opportunity to become PR.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 04 May 2012 8:40 am

It is possible to have the issuance deadline deferred by proving evidence to ICA that you have been posted abroad by your SGn employer.

But do not hang about. If you don't act and miss the deadline, it will not bode at all well for your hopes in the future.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 04 May 2012 8:45 am

JR8 wrote:It is possible to have the issuance deadline deferred by proving evidence to ICA that you have been posted abroad by your SGn employer.

But do not hang about. If you don't act and miss the deadline, it will not bode at all well for your hopes in the future.
Yes you can get the deadline extended but only for 1 or 2 months, not until December.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 04 May 2012 8:49 am

Yes, that is my understanding too.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Fri, 04 May 2012 8:57 am

Some time between now and December you'll get a weeks leave. Make sure your appointment is booked for the end of that week so that you have time to do the necessary tests.

Sorted!

fionaowen

Waiting Time

Post by fionaowen » Mon, 07 May 2012 10:31 am

Hi Mari0010,

congratulations on your PR approval!
May I know how long was your waiting time, if you don't mind sharing?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Waiting Time

Post by JR8 » Mon, 07 May 2012 10:40 am

fionaowen wrote:Hi Mari0010,

congratulations on your PR approval!
May I know how long was your waiting time, if you don't mind sharing?
That is a pointless question as approval can take 2 months or 2 years. You are not Mari0010, so how long she waited is irrelevant to you.

mari0010

Re: Waiting Time

Post by mari0010 » Thu, 10 May 2012 2:58 am

Thanks guys, I emailed ICA and the deadline is extended for another 2 months.

@fionawen: i submitted the application on mid-february

Stiffmaester

Post by Stiffmaester » Fri, 08 Jun 2012 3:00 am

Hi I'm a newbie on the forum and the discussion above is pretty pertinent to my current situation so wanted some advice.

I've applied for permanent residency 2 months ago (joint application for myself and my wife). I work for a multi national company with a large regional HQ in Singapore (>2500 people). My company is considering sending me overseas to one of our regional offices in the next 3 months for an overseas assignment (I obviously have a say in this but this is their current thinking on my career plan)

My question is, does my application become void if I move out for an overseas assignment? I will continue to be a Singapore based employee, paying taxes here, and going as an expat. However, if I go I will obviously terminate my lease and hence will not have a "home address", only my office address. Keen on hearing any advice on whether Ica will consider voiding the application. The reason im asking is because I have a say and if I feel my application will become void then I can I put off my overseas assignment for now.

Additional info on my application:
Race: Indian (yeah I know it's tough, worth a shot I guess)
Time in Singapore: 6 years
Education: MBA from India
Job: senior brand manager for a global MNC handling Asia operations
Salary: >160000
Pass type: PEP
Application: joint application made in mid April (wife on DP)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 08 Jun 2012 3:23 am

ICA allow for people being posted overseas by SGn companies, though in a way that matter might apply more to eligibility to an REP (to be clear, being posted overseas by a SGn company should have no impact on eligibility for an REP).

Perhaps the issue for you is, IF you are granted PR, ICA seem to give something like (??) 2 months for formalities to be wrapped up. Maybe you should be prepared for that eventuality.

Stiffmaester

Post by Stiffmaester » Sat, 09 Jun 2012 3:23 am

Hi jR8, thanks for the valuable inputs. Coming back to Singapore on short notice in case it's approved will not be an issue at all. However, I did google in REP after seeing your post (didn't know what it was :wink: ) and if I'm not wrong it is given only to PRs leaving the country not for ep/pep holders. So I now have 2 problems to think of, the original question I posed and now what type of permit will they issue me on my current PEP if I go abroad :lol: .

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 09 Jun 2012 3:28 am

Stiffmaester wrote:Hi jR8, thanks for the valuable inputs. Coming back to Singapore on short notice in case it's approved will not be an issue at all. However, I did google in REP after seeing your post (didn't know what it was :wink: ) and if I'm not wrong it is given only to PRs leaving the country not for ep/pep holders. So I now have 2 problems to think of, the original question I posed and now what type of permit will they issue me on my current PEP if I go abroad :lol: .

Heh? What permit who will issue you on your PEP?