Singapore Expats

Foreign "talent"

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 01 May 2012 2:14 pm

Just going to chuckle at the Singaporean complaining about the stress of work, today being yet another public holiday where half the country has now taken the whole week off. Of course they're probably just complaining they can't go out of town because they don't know what to do with the maid.

So stressful la!

IOP
Regular
Regular

Post by IOP » Tue, 01 May 2012 2:46 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Just going to chuckle at the Singaporean complaining about the stress of work, today being yet another public holiday where half the country has now taken the whole week off. Of course they're probably just complaining they can't go out of town because they don't know what to do with the maid.

So stressful la!

If you don't treat your maid well, don't expect that European companies will pay you good or hire at all.

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Tue, 01 May 2012 9:14 pm

not all locals are bad apples. the ones reporting to me are on time, efficient in their work, stick to their (only) one hour lunch break and are always looking at ways to improve themselves or their work, professionally. And these locals have been with the company on an average of about 7 years now. Same goes with foreigners. However as for foreigners, the myanmarese who are reporting to me are also good at their work even though they are paid way less than the locals in my team. Same with the philipinos too.

There will alwiz be good and bad apples. i still stick to my prior statement that the indians i worked with in my last stint at a bank are not up to the mark. simplest case in point - the pm did not even know how to use ms project and was clueless in managing even a small project and this guy had been with various banks in india prior to coming over to singapore.

way i see this 'foreign talent' in singapore, most of the time the foreigners who come here to work are (financially) exploited. again this depends on the industry. my industry, peeps can alwiz bargain for less coz they know there will alwiz be someone out there who will be desperate to take the role/job for even lesser. i am not sure about the banking (as in banker's) industry. i see big salaries here but this malaysian lady who earns a bomb in the US is not seeing it that way. she's quipped that she will oso rather retire in KL than singapore. however she has another reason altogether for this.

as for cvs and interviews, i have encountered good and bad cvs fr both locals and foreigners. i have seen cvs fr locals where the english grammar is superior and they have never been overseas much less educated abroad. these ones are normally high achievers. i have oso seen cvs fr locals which are down-right embarassing, grammar-wise. same applies to foreigners.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
sweetgazebo wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: No, the foreigner is probably making the same amount but without the added employer's CPF, truth be known. yeap wholly agree on this but then again was told by this local that the asking remuneration of the foreigner for this job she interviewed for was lower than her asking (when she asked on the reasons for rejection)

And the reason she probably lost out was the Indian probably wrote a decent resume and spoke in real English and not Singlish. actually oso have to agree on this coz having worked with s'poreans i find their english really ala ah-beng -ah lian-like but the local quoted here is an indian

A local Indian is no different than a local Chinese or Malay. All are the same when it come to writing proper resumes and being late. This is also one reason that local Indians do not like "new" Indians coming here either, as it puts them in a bad light as well (except for a small handful of those who "stellar" parents (we know who they are) or 2nd Gen youths whose High Achiever Parents took up citizenship here.

When they do, it's usually because of quota because of locals just walking off the jobs without notice. heard that same comment fr a french man who has a sandwich shop in the CBD and decided after, 4 locals did not turned up for work 2 weeks in a row, that he will not be hiring any more locals
:x

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Tue, 01 May 2012 9:53 pm

sweetgazebo wrote: alwiz alwiz coz alwiz oso

i have oso seen cvs fr locals which are down-right embarassing, grammar-wise

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Tue, 01 May 2012 9:58 pm

... and another ... sigh .... OP has a mental problem :D
NorrinRadd wrote:alwiz alwiz coz alwiz oso
NorrinRadd wrote:+1 to the LOL

This bizarre attempt at English is a criticism of English?

"oso" "dats" "fr" - this poster writes like a poorly-masked local complaining about the same.
NorrinRadd wrote:sweetgazebo ('sour shack' might be a better fit) - contrary to what you seem to think, this (nor any other) thread is not about you.

Can you just take your noise somewhere else so the thread can continue being about the thread without your attention-starved head keep popping up?
NorrinRadd ---> :???: wrote:
Good that we got back on topic after it got hijacked.
[/quote]

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 01 May 2012 10:18 pm

Will you two get a room already? Or is this a personal attack on each other?? Jeesh.
nutnut

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Wed, 02 May 2012 6:56 am

No idea mate! i came, i commented and before i knew it OP started using foul language and threaten me sum mor for reasons beyond me. since op is picking on me might as well poke fun at him. m actually enjoying dis
:)
nutnut wrote: ...... Or is this a personal attack on each other?? Jeesh.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 02 May 2012 12:31 pm

NorrinRadd wrote:Never liked your nick, always like your posts.
Err... thanks?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 May 2012 1:26 pm

sweetgazebo wrote:No idea mate! i came, i commented and before i knew it OP started using foul language and threaten me sum mor for reasons beyond me. since op is picking on me might as well poke fun at him. m actually enjoying dis
:)
I seem to recall you almost got the tic...toc within your 1st five posts because you were offensive and started fights from the off.

Fighting and trouble seems to be a thread running through your persona.

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Wed, 02 May 2012 1:28 pm

after all that foul language and absence of manners i wonder if he even knows the meaning of 'thanks' :D

the lynx wrote:
Err... thanks?

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 02 May 2012 4:12 pm

sweetgazebo wrote:after all that foul language and absence of manners i wonder if he even knows the meaning of 'thanks' :D

the lynx wrote:
Err... thanks?
somehow...i think the two of you have so much in common. match waiting to happen perhaps.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 May 2012 4:14 pm

[quote="morenangpinay"
somehow...i think the two of you have so much in common. match waiting to happen perhaps.[/quote]

Yah, oso say.

SExDU.... the Singapore Expats Development Unit :lol:

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 02 May 2012 4:32 pm

JR8 wrote:[quote="morenangpinay"
somehow...i think the two of you have so much in common. match waiting to happen perhaps.
Yah, oso say.

SExDU.... the Singapore Expats Development Unit :lol:[/quote]

izzit! double confirm lah..we need to ask the mods to make a new forum for SExDu...we'll need a space for the success stories ..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 May 2012 4:36 pm

morenangpinay wrote: izzit! double confirm lah..we need to ask the mods to make a new forum for SExDu...we'll need a space for the success stories ..
What lah, all de bebby pix, they so sweet ah 8-)

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 02 May 2012 5:03 pm

JR8 wrote:
morenangpinay wrote: izzit! double confirm lah..we need to ask the mods to make a new forum for SExDu...we'll need a space for the success stories ..
What lah, all de bebby pix, they so sweet ah 8-)
Sure got ah? Where got beybi meh?stress leber high ah. No money lah Sure die one ah.