Singapore Expats

using public transport & life without a car

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 30 Apr 2012 9:32 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Lastly, I've only been here 10 months, but I think I'd go insane without the ability for a quick weekend road-trip. Singapore gets immensely boring rather quickly.
They have this place on the east coast that is home to these magical birds that can take you to all sorts of places. :)

I think the automobile used to be a symbol of freedom for the previous generation, but for myself it's more like a burden than anything. Being able to hop onto a SQ flights to Barcelona or Bali is my idea of freedom, but then living in Singapore has different limitations and different needs than living in the US, Europe or Australia.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 01 May 2012 1:42 pm

aster wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Lastly, I've only been here 10 months, but I think I'd go insane without the ability for a quick weekend road-trip. Singapore gets immensely boring rather quickly.
They have this place on the east coast that is home to these magical birds that can take you to all sorts of places. :)

I think the automobile used to be a symbol of freedom for the previous generation, but for myself it's more like a burden than anything. Being able to hop onto a SQ flights to Barcelona or Bali is my idea of freedom, but then living in Singapore has different limitations and different needs than living in the US, Europe or Australia.
Without a kid, I'd agree completely. I'd use that stipend to travel somewhere at least every month.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Tue, 01 May 2012 2:53 pm

JR8 wrote:That only 10% of the population have cars speaks volumes.
The rest just can't afford one!

I don't have kids, so can't comment on strollers etc on busses and mrt's.
It depends on what your lifestyle is. A taxi will always be way cheaper than owning a car to get you places that the bus / mrt won't. If your lifestyle revolves around the CBD and shopping centres then don't bother with a car. If, however, you want to get away from it all and visit off the beaten track places like the fish farms and mangrove reserves or Malaysia on a regular basis - then get a car. Taxi's won't help you there.

Taxi's are not perfect - there are multiple threads on this topic. Drivers will take you on the long route - if they know where you want to go and they drive horrendously badly (car-sick children are a common complaint on this forum)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 May 2012 4:39 pm

carteki wrote:
The rest just can't afford one!
Oh I agree. My point was more that despite that they manage somehow. And since they aren't on the net and writing to the papers whining about it you'd imagine they do not find having children and being without a car too much of a challenge.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 May 2012 6:58 pm

perxactly!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 01 May 2012 7:34 pm

They probably also do not have too much problems with people jumping ques, squeezing in front of you to get to the bus/lift/mrt/whatever first, and occupying priority seats in the buses. Probably they have no idea that it can be different than this so are they really a part of the same equation?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 01 May 2012 11:12 pm

carteki wrote:
A taxi will always be way cheaper than owning a car to get you places that the bus / mrt won't.
Actually, I priced out taxi to/from work every day. It came out only about $100-150 a month less than the car payment. Even without the kid I'd think long and hard, just so I didn't have to deal with always trying to find a taxi... So depending on your commute, not always...

zaceffs

Re: using public transport & life without a car

Post by zaceffs » Wed, 02 May 2012 2:40 pm

mrs.r wrote:Hi

My husband is in Singapore at the moment, he is in a Serviced Apartment, doesn't have far to travel to work and has only good things to say about the MRT. We are moving from London so in comparison the public transport in Singapore is a dream.

I am moving out with in the summer with our 2 children who will be 5 and 1 years old. We will not be buying a car.

I am looking forward to exploring our new surroundings but I will need to get about with a baby in a buggy.

Is it easy/accessible to travel with a buggy on the bus system?
Are there lifts and easy access on/off the MRT?

What are your experiences of public transport with small children in tow?

How have you adapted to your new life without a car?

Thank you in advance.
you will never have a problem. as long as you avoid peak hours, travel is a breeze

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 May 2012 3:50 pm

That, of course, means driving only between the hours of 3 and 4 am in the wee hours of the morning or between 3 and 4 p.m. in the afternoon. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 02 May 2012 4:33 pm

zaceffs wrote:
you will never have a problem. as long as you avoid peak hours, travel is a breeze
And you don't live somewhere that either A) Has other people who also like to use the taxi or B) taxi drivers don't really want to go.

I didn't believe it until I took your position on this forum either. But I swear the week after I said "I never have a problem getting a taxi!" I was waiting 30-40 minutes every morning.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 02 May 2012 5:24 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
zaceffs wrote:
And you don't live somewhere that either A) Has other people who also like to use the taxi or B) taxi drivers don't really want to go.

I didn't believe it until I took your position on this forum either. But I swear the week after I said "I never have a problem getting a taxi!" I was waiting 30-40 minutes every morning.
Haha jinxed! :P

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 02 May 2012 8:35 pm

the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
zaceffs wrote:

Haha jinxed! :P
Is that better or worse than being lynxed?? :???: :cool:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 May 2012 8:40 pm

Guess we'll have to wait for the next Eagle's Gathering to find out! (unless she cops out again) :P

syamsulstar

Post by syamsulstar » Fri, 04 May 2012 6:53 pm

mrs.r wrote:Hi

My husband is in Singapore at the moment, he is in a Serviced Apartment, doesn't have far to travel to work and has only good things to say about the MRT. We are moving from London so in comparison the public transport in Singapore is a dream.

I am moving out with in the summer with our 2 children who will be 5 and 1 years old. We will not be buying a car.

I am looking forward to exploring our new surroundings but I will need to get about with a baby in a buggy.

Is it easy/accessible to travel with a buggy on the bus system?
Are there lifts and easy access on/off the MRT?

What are your experiences of public transport with small children in tow?

How have you adapted to your new life without a car?

Thank you in advance.
You might want to look into car sharing. I have been using their service for a little over a year now. It is pretty convenient, and still cheaper than owning a car for occasional driving needs.

http://www.honda.com.sg/cars/kahshare/

http://www.carclub.com.sg/