Singapore Expats

Manners campaign required??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 10:59 pm

100% with everything in blue
JR8 wrote:
thismyvoice wrote:When you are always in a rush, I guess good manners gets pushed aside.

I don't agree, there is no need for them to be.

Singaporeans generally work very long hours.

I'd like to see a global average working hours comparison as I don't believe - on the face of it - that SGns work longer hours than most other advanced nations.

They have very little time for leisure and other activities such as send/collect their kids from tuition centers, buy grocery, etc.

Most of them have domestic staff to do all of that. Very few other countries have. I'd suggest that SGns live pampered rather than busy lifestyles.

The current transportation problem makes things worse. When you are here long enough, you will notice the hectic nature.

Besides, half the people you meet in the streets are likely to be foreigners/new citizens.

New/old citizens, same same ah. They're all SGns. They all seem to behave like new SGns to me, except perhaps the original 'bumi-poreans' who seem to be pretty chilled out about things

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:00 pm

sweetgazebo wrote:
BigSis wrote:As a westerner living here, I think the longer you live here the worse you get because you get fed up of people shoving and pushing you all the time.
I got shoved and pushed a lot back in London than in Singapore. I still remember the day when I was climbing up the stairs (just out from the tube) and this english lady (who had stress written all over her face) pulled me by my sleeves (to push me down) so that she can get ahead of me. My then boyfriend and I were shocked at what she did and he approached her and both had an argument which lasted like 10 minutes (after all that sleeve pulling and pushing) in the end she apologised and walked off.
She apologised, and obviously saw the error of her way, so what's the moral of the story?

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:03 pm

10 mins for an apology, and after all that pushing and shoving for nothing, is too long.

BillyB wrote:
sweetgazebo wrote:
BigSis wrote:As a westerner living here, I think the longer you live here the worse you get because you get fed up of people shoving and pushing you all the time.
I got shoved and pushed a lot back in London than in Singapore. I still remember the day when I was climbing up the stairs (just out from the tube) and this english lady (who had stress written all over her face) pulled me by my sleeves (to push me down) so that she can get ahead of me. My then boyfriend and I were shocked at what she did and he approached her and both had an argument which lasted like 10 minutes (after all that sleeve pulling and pushing) in the end she apologised and walked off.
She apologised, and obviously saw the error of her way, so what's the moral of the story?

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:07 pm

sweetgazebo wrote:10 mins for an apology, and after all that pushing and shoving for nothing, is too long.

BillyB wrote:
sweetgazebo wrote: I got shoved and pushed a lot back in London than in Singapore. I still remember the day when I was climbing up the stairs (just out from the tube) and this english lady (who had stress written all over her face) pulled me by my sleeves (to push me down) so that she can get ahead of me. My then boyfriend and I were shocked at what she did and he approached her and both had an argument which lasted like 10 minutes (after all that sleeve pulling and pushing) in the end she apologised and walked off.
At least you got one - like that would ever happen in Singapore......

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:08 pm

Well .. at least peeps here don't pull you by your sleeve to push you down just so that they can get ahead of you!
BillyB wrote:
sweetgazebo wrote:10 mins for an apology, and after all that pushing and shoving for nothing, is too long.

BillyB wrote: She apologised, and obviously saw the error of her way, so what's the moral of the story?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:09 pm

sweetgazebo wrote:
You apparently encountered a loony, yeah unfortunately it sometimes happens. That kind of behavior in SG is standard though it seems.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:11 pm

sweetgazebo wrote:Well .. at least peeps here don't pull you by your sleeve to push you down just so that they can get ahead of you!
BillyB wrote:

Agree - the preference is to try some half-arsed barge or abuse you in a different language, because they think they can get away with it......

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:16 pm

it would not have been a shock if that english lady had cursed me in welsh. better off than pulling me by my sleeves and pushing me down (and on a crowded staircase at a peak hour).
BillyB wrote:
sweetgazebo wrote:Well .. at least peeps here don't pull you by your sleeve to push you down just so that they can get ahead of you!
BillyB wrote: At least you got one - like that would ever happen in Singapore......
Agree - the preference is to try some half-arsed barge or abuse you in a different language, because they think they can get away with it......

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:20 pm

It's you that got into a fight on an MRT with a French woman isn't it?

Funny in all my years in London and SG I've never got into a fight with anybody.

Spotting the pattern here?

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:27 pm

As with all my other posts, you din get this one right either! but then again, no comments to your statement below

JR8 wrote:It's you that got into a fight on an MRT with a French woman isn't it?

Funny in all my years in London and SG I've never got into a fight with anybody.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:37 pm

sweetgazebo wrote:As with all my other posts, you din get this one right either! but then again, no comments to your statement below

JR8 wrote:It's you that got into a fight on an MRT with a French woman isn't it?

But I'm right aren't I?

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:36 am

sweetgazebo wrote:I had this experience about a month ago but not with a local. This bunch of 3 frenchies (i am guessing they are tourists) boarded the train on a busy saturday afternoon. what made them obvious to me was the way they walked into the train and rudely brushed against me (when i was busy texting on the phone). the phone nearly fell of my hand (as my other hand was full with shopping bags and so was texting with one hand). however seeing that her action had nearly caused me to nearly grab the phone before it falls onto the floor of a moving and crowded train she did not even apologise. instead she just looked at me then at her 2 other friends and went on talking. i was pissed. anyway, as the train was nearing the station i wanted to get down, i had to navigate my way through the crowd. well, since she was standing in my way, she refused to make way despite seeing that i was nudging my way and had said 'excuse me' to her. she continued to stand in the way. i had no choice but to push my way through. this, she did not like. when i managed to push my way through and was standing in front of her, she took the opportunity to step on my foot. i look down and noticed that there were only 3 pairs of feet where i was standing and immediately realised that it was this french bitch who stepped on my feet but she had quickly moved a little further back from me so as to not make it obvious. i waited until the train was about nearing the station and it was just unfortunate that the train made a sharp jolted move as it was about to slow down near the station. i took the opportunity to step (and really hard) on her foot. it must have been very painful for her coz i heard through my noisy earphones her complaining away in french.

so it's not just locals who can be rude. the westerners (and i have met countless of them, majority women) are also down right rude. but this episode particularly stood out.
you have not had the pleasure of wearing steel caps on the MRT?

it is heaven. ive lost count the amount of shins ive kicked when people refuse to let me alight first, or when people just plain rudely barge their way about.

IOP
Regular
Regular

Re: Manners campaign required??

Post by IOP » Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:21 pm

bluenose wrote:Singapore is a leader in so many ways compared to the West, it has a decent MRT system, decent housing, low crime, decent education, no or little racism, fabulous airport along with many others....unfortunately one thing it lacks compared to the Western world is MANNERS??
From inconsiderate drivers to ill mannered people in Supermarkets to Christians leaving places of Worship like they are possessed by the devil (Driving or walking!)...I think LKY needs to start a campaign for manners here.
I know the West has some issues with lack of respect etc and racial problems....but a lack of manners I have never seen it as bad anywhere else as it is here??
Singapore is quite okay compare to other places.
I have seen many unmannered chinese & indians, but at the same time I have well mannered chinese friends here - maybe because they are christians and we speak the same language.
Today I chinese lady offered me umbrella on a street - it was a very pleasant experience.

In general, it is okay. To tell more, as I white man in the town, I experience boorishness in 50 Asian/50 Caucasian proportion.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:50 pm

IOP wrote:
bluenose wrote:Singapore is a leader in so many ways compared to the West, it has a decent MRT system, decent housing, low crime, decent education, no or little racism, fabulous airport along with many others....unfortunately one thing it lacks compared to the Western world is MANNERS??
From inconsiderate drivers to ill mannered people in Supermarkets to Christians leaving places of Worship like they are possessed by the devil (Driving or walking!)...I think LKY needs to start a campaign for manners here.
I know the West has some issues with lack of respect etc and racial problems....but a lack of manners I have never seen it as bad anywhere else as it is here??
Singapore is quite okay compare to other places.
I have seen many unmannered chinese & indians, but at the same time I have well mannered chinese friends here - maybe because they are christians and we speak the same language.
Today I chinese lady offered me umbrella on a street - it was a very pleasant experience.

In general, it is okay. To tell more, as I white man in the town, I experience boorishness in 50 Asian/50 Caucasian proportion.
You mean you have to be Christian to be nice? I think that's a lot of bunk. Some of the most obnoxious people I know are Christians.

IOP
Regular
Regular

Post by IOP » Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:58 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
You mean you have to be Christian to be nice? I think that's a lot of bunk. Some of the most obnoxious people I know are Christians.

Sorry, can't help. I know even more not christians who are the most obnoxious then your the most obnoxious.