Singapore Expats

Renunciation of SC and concurrent application of EP

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
USSGDecisions

Renunciation of SC and concurrent application of EP

Post by USSGDecisions » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 4:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been reading blog posts on here for quite a few years, getting much information through the questions others have asked, and the many who have graciously offered their suggestions and knowledge.
Now it is my turn to ask a few questions, and hope that those of you who have knowledge, may share some of it with me!

Sundaymorningstaple and MadScientist have been particularly helpful and I hope that they would graciously offer me their opinions as well.

Situation is this:

I recently received a letter from ICA stating that "it has come to their attention that I have a foreign passport, etc..." They did not mention anything about renunciation, or anything of the sort, but did want me to reply by a stated date with a whole stack of documents that they wanted filled out.

Unlike many others here who have posted about renunciation issues, I HAVE served my 2+ years of NS here in Singapore, and did so quite proudly, and would probably do so again if the opportunity arose. The problem arises when I do not wish to give up the birthright of my foreign citizenship, obviously. I have lived in Singapore for about 15 years (moved here when I was 13), went to a local secondary school, graduated from NAFA, served NS for 2+ years, and went overseas to do my degree. Now I'm working in Singapore.

I am currently working in Singapore, and my boss has already agreed to apply for an employment pass on my behalf, if I choose to renounce my SC.

My question then, is...
What do you think are my chances of:

1. Applying for an employment pass(P2) using my foreign citizenship, while concurrently processing the renunciation?

or

2. Applying for an EP after renunciation is done?

My qualifications are from a reputable university in the US, where I graduated with honors, I have 3+ years experience working in Singapore, I served my NS liabilty, and the profession I am in, is listed on the MOM website as "skills/careers needed in Singapore in the coming years." I would be applying for an P2 EP. I tried the questionnaire listed on the MOM website, and it said I would "likely be granted an EP, based on the qualifications and information given."

As many previous OP and numerous others have posted and replied, I am aware that there is no guarantee that if I renounce I will be allowed to work/stay in Singapore. That is very clear. This being said, how good/bad do you think my chances would be if I did so?
Last edited by USSGDecisions on Sat, 28 Apr 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USSGDecisions

Post by USSGDecisions » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 4:53 pm

I also forgot to mention that I intend to apply for a PR, after a few months if my EP is successful. I am fully aware that is a roll of the dice and there is no guarantee that it will be successful, but I'm just interested to hear if anyone has been in a similar situation, and if so, they may share some of their knowledge with me!

Thanks again!
Last edited by USSGDecisions on Sat, 28 Apr 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 5:23 pm

USSGDecisions wrote:I also forgot to mention that I intend to apply for a PR, after a few months if my EP is successful. I am fully aware that is a roll of the dice and there is no guarantee that it will be successful, but I'm just interested to hear if anyone has been in a similar situation, and if so, they may share some of their knowledge with me!

Thanks again!
Re: your initial post. I'd say your chances are 60:40 to be honest as you still tick most of the right boxes re: academics and needed technical/professional skills. Considering you have done your NS and so forth, none of that should be held against you.

However, re your second post quoted above, You would be wasting your time applying for PR. Why would they think about giving you Permanent Residence when you have already told them you would give up your Citizenship if necessary. Doesn't make any sense.

MS may have some other/more positive info......

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

USSGDecisions

Post by USSGDecisions » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks for that, sms. Appreciate your input! I do tend to think the EP would be ok, but PR would probably be a no-no. VERY tough decision, either way.

Thanks again.
Last edited by USSGDecisions on Sat, 28 Apr 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 5:45 pm

Need to shed more light

How did ICA or CMPB or MHA knew you had second PP?

You said you are Sger i.e SC; but did you gain your US PP at a young age ?

You are born in US , yes ?

Did you ever declare while renewing your SG PP that you had a second foreign PP?

Have you been stopped at border control while having foreign PP?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

USSGDecisions

Post by USSGDecisions » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 5:58 pm

I was born in the US, hence a US Citizen by birth. Emigrated to SG, and parents applied for SG Citizenship by descent.

ICA must have known through some random check, either because, my brother got a letter a few months ago, and maybe decided to check up on me, or because I have travelled through Singapore on my US passport before, but I have been doing so for about 3-4 years off and on, so it definitely took them some time.

I did not declare that I had a foreign PP when I renewed.

It also seems strange to me that the ICA is not particularly bothered about asking me to renounce, but they "offered" my brother the "option." So, *shrugs*, really don't know.

I have not ever been "stopped" at border control regarding anything to do with dual citizenship or anything of that nature in Singapore, or in the US.
Last edited by USSGDecisions on Sat, 28 Apr 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 6:00 pm

Ahh.. you have dual citizenship but did you renounce your US Citizenship when you turn 21?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

USSGDecisions

Post by USSGDecisions » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 6:02 pm

Hi MS, i will PM you details if you don't mind.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 6:09 pm

My 2 cents:

- How do you think they discovered you have 2nd passport. What age are you (roughly), i.e. how far has this gone on?
- Have you ever declared officially that you do not? The authorities don't take kindly to 'rule-breakers'.
- re: PR. I can't see it myself. Giving up your SC... well the SG authorities can behave like a spurned woman at times. And it would be a bit like divorcing your wife then asking if you can get re-engaged to enjoy the conjugal benefits ;)

I realise there is cross-over with what SMS and MS wrote, but if anything I hope maybe it reinforces some of the points made.

USSGDecisions

Post by USSGDecisions » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 6:16 pm

Obviously, the inner workings of the ICA and their checks, are probably only known to those at "Citizen Investigation Branch." I'm about 29, and I think they probably found out due to my traveling through SG on a US PP, but, like I said, I'd been doing this for a few years, so it took them some time.

Yes, I realize they don't take kindly to 'rule-breakers,' and I can only hope they won't use me as an example.

Thanks for your input JR8, much appreciated.
Last edited by USSGDecisions on Sat, 28 Apr 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 6:21 pm

When did you last renew your SG passport?

USSGDecisions

Post by USSGDecisions » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 6:26 pm

Recently.
Last edited by USSGDecisions on Sat, 28 Apr 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 6:29 pm

And at that time did you declare you only had an SG passport?

USSGDecisions

Post by USSGDecisions » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 6:33 pm

Yes, I declared I had only an SG passport.
Last edited by USSGDecisions on Sat, 28 Apr 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 6:35 pm

I think that might be significant, but it's time for me to leave it to the experts.

Good luck!