Singapore Expats

.SG DOMAIN RIGHTS

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Mr Tan
Regular
Regular

.SG DOMAIN RIGHTS

Post by Mr Tan » Sun, 22 Apr 2012 10:22 am

If i made an purchase nameB.com.sg at 80k from company A . company A is the local representative of company B but they dont need the domain anymore. this domain name happen to be namecompanyB.com.sg . does company B has the right to acquire it from me. If there is a challenge by a party against the use of the domain name by the registrant,can i continue to use the domain name?

i am thinkin of renting it out or selling them at the premium to them.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sun, 22 Apr 2012 5:05 pm

Hmmm, sounds very much like cybersquatting....

Not sure about the laws here, but it's a grey area in much of the western world. Also, many companies simply don't put up with it, they may just buy a different name and market themselves on that instead!

Good luck with that, sounds like a way to lose your money IMHO.
nutnut

Mr Tan
Regular
Regular

Post by Mr Tan » Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:09 am

the domain i am getting is a listed company , the email hosting everything is important to them. they are manufactors , by buying at premium i can sell them at the same cost .

nutnut wrote:Hmmm, sounds very much like cybersquatting....

Not sure about the laws here, but it's a grey area in much of the western world. Also, many companies simply don't put up with it, they may just buy a different name and market themselves on that instead!

Good luck with that, sounds like a way to lose your money IMHO.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:32 am

So this is com.sg and not just .sg, right? Because I think that for now it's still not possible to transfer .sg domains, unless something has changed recently...

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 23 Apr 2012 2:55 pm

this is confusing. correct me if my understanding is wrong ...

Co A owns the rights to co-b.com.sg
Co A is also owns the brand of co-b.com.sg

Mr Tan wants to buy co-b.com.sg from Co A and then wants to charge Co A for using the site.

It could possibly be cybersquatting, but for the simple reason that the seller is also the brand owner and knowingly giving up their rights to the name. If you were to go ahead with the transaction I would make sure that the sale agreement indemnifies and protects you against any further challenge to title by Co A (and the HO version thereof).

Slightly related - while trawling through some website domain sites there was a .com.au from an international US co available for sale - they didn't want it - go figure...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 23 Apr 2012 3:28 pm

Seriously, I was through one case where a party was forced to give up the domain, and claim only the registration cost ..

It was a case like above. A well known Hotel Chain didnt' want the com.sg domain, and a vendor of theirs was hosting it and doing some ecommerce work for their supply chain. So .com goes to corporate, .com.sg goes the Supply chain site for the hotel's suppliers, hosted by the third party guy who was getting paid for the SCM stuff.

One day the hotel chain woke up and wanted the .com.sg site to be transferred - vendor demurred, and also demanded x $ for the costs of the hosting etc. and prayed for the continued hosting with a possibly higher revenue ..

Hotel chain took them to Dispute resolution and won the case ..

carteki: those days another client of us had the .net domain, as .com had been taken over by somebody else ..

only that they didnt' know that the .com domain was some international private security company and we used to get all kinds of wrong emails, and threats .. we used to do catch-all .. it was not funny when we saw the wording in some of the emails

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:22 pm

years ago my dad took over .com.sg domains for his singapore company (abbreviation and full name: ABC and ApeBanCow) that someone was squatting on.

he provided to his lawyers proof that the squatter wanted 50k for it. both domains were transferred to my dad's company by sgnic (?) eventually after some sort of legal process without any exchange of money.

he later had to defend himself from another company (bigger than his) operating a business using the same abbreviation... so my old man registered another company that has that abbreviation in it (ABC Manufacturing Pte Ltd). no case and no change in ownership of the shorter domain.

i have a short 3 letter sg domain - it corresponds with an MNC's subsidiary/affiliate HQ'ed in singapore (big mining company of indonesian origin). i have a dormant business entity in the same name that backs up my need for this short domain: in short i didn't have to relinquish the right to use it when they wanted it (i use the domain to host my own private research database as it's easy to type).

i think the only way is for mr tan to safely own the domain is to actually own a company called namecompanyB/nameB... but even then i don't think it's guaranteed if you're squatting on it...

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:28 pm