Singapore Expats

Revoking PR and continuing studies in SG as a foreigner

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
wraithseeker

Revoking PR and continuing studies in SG as a foreigner

Post by wraithseeker » Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:50 pm

I am 17 this year and am currently studying in a JC in Singapore. Would it be possible for me to revoke my PR after my A-levels and continue my studies in Singapore university as a foreigner while avoiding NS altogether and do I have to pay a fine?

Or is there any other methods?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:21 am

Either way, there's no escaping NS. It would seem that you weren't aware of the revocation procedures for which you're too old.

Try searching for "NS defaulter" to know the consequences oditching your obligations. Two years wouldn't look so bad.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

wraithseeker

Post by wraithseeker » Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:54 am

Second generation PRs who attain PR status through their parents are required to serve NS. However, PR can be given up at any time. If you do not wish to serve, simply give up your PR at ICA. This allows you to legally avoid NS.

Note that giving up PR will have an adverse effect on any future immigration dealings with Singapore. Travelling and social visits on temporary visas should be no problem at all, while re-applying for PR and citizenship is probably out of the question. In between lies employment passes and such – I’m not sure about this but they’d take giving up PR into account.
I went to read the guide to NS issues. I am a Taiwanese holding a Taiwanese passport with PR, will I still get into trouble with the law if I give up my PR?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 24 Apr 2012 4:22 am

This issue are three folds

1. You are a 2nd Gen PR under PTS scheme whereby your parents are PR too but Dad is considered as 1st Gen PR whereby not liable for NS . However you are Liable when you take up this PRship with family.

2. You can revoke your PR but you may not be able to continue your studies here as you have to apply for student pass, Your revoking of PR will stick like a sore thumb when you try to apply for Student Pass or LTSVP under family sponsor

3. Even if you do get one, you will not be allowed to regain your PR since you have done a runner and forget about employment as another thumb will stick out sorely like a beacon

Applying for SG Uni will be a whole game changer for you once you take this path.

DOn't your parent advise you on this ? Or you are just thick numbskull to go against their advice and did not realise it is detrimental to your future
Go down this path at your own peril
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

wraithseeker

Post by wraithseeker » Tue, 24 Apr 2012 6:44 am

Thanks for the advice so far, my parents are also foreigners and none of them are Singaporeans so I have thought of considering this path or even return back to my country to study.

Andrew32671

Post by Andrew32671 » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 10:34 pm

Hypothetically, would the views be different if he were say 15 ie less than 16.5? At least as it relates to his ability to renounce?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 06 Jun 2012 1:49 am

Andrew32671 wrote:Hypothetically, would the views be different if he were say 15 ie less than 16.5? At least as it relates to his ability to renounce?

Nope , it does not change one bit unless he is below 13. Yet again applying for student pass will be another kettle of fish
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Andrew32671

Post by Andrew32671 » Thu, 07 Jun 2012 12:16 am

But at 17, wraithseeker would have registered for NS. What is the implication of registration at 16.5 in this instance? Thanks.

Tau Beta
Regular
Regular

Post by Tau Beta » Fri, 08 Jun 2012 12:14 pm

wraithseeker wrote:Thanks for the advice so far, my parents are also foreigners and none of them are Singaporeans so I have thought of considering this path or even return back to my country to study.
I assumed you're heading back to serve the Taiwan army then. Yes? You probably moved to Singapore taking on PR was to ditch Taiwanese military in the first place - yes? :-)