Singapore Expats

Prohibited from entering SG

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
vvleandrews

Prohibited from entering SG

Post by vvleandrews » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 4:11 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently prohibited to enter SG due to a petty theft of S$ 50, somewhere in 2004.

I was a victim of abuse by my then bf. He was an addict and used to beat me up and abused me in all ways possible because of drugs. I was then working in SG with a valid work permit and living with him in JB. One fateful day, he kept demanding and threatening for money and out of desperation and scared to get bashed up again, I stole S$ 50 from my workplace. I was caught, but I immediately confessed and returned the money to the customer. Though he didn't want to press charges, my company still went on to have me arrested. I went to jail of course for 3 days, till my parents had enough money to bail me out.

I was sent back immediately to my home country (malaysia) and the abuser eventually got arrested for abusing me to the point when I almost died. Since then, I've built myself anew. I'm currently holding a successful career, am married and I have 1 daughter. My husband knows of all that had happened to me.

It is almost 8yrs now since that incident and I have tried writing in appeals to ICA but each time, I get a rejection. I have enclosed all evidence, police reports, original destroyed passport, report of the abuse that happened to me, marriage certificate and my business card to proof I'm better off now, but still - Reject. Each time I enquire how long is the ban for, they reply 'Indefinitely'. What else can I do just for a holiday visit please? I understand SG is quite strict and I will readily comply with all necessary docs, proofs, and will cooperate in every way just to lift this ban. I can even show all the scars on my body as further evidence if needed. I'm also expected to fly in for a business visit in the near future..how do i even tell my bosses this.??

Please anyone, please advise me on what else can I do. I've already written 3 appeals to ICA by courier. What happened to me was truly truly unfortunate but it has been 8 years already and how long more have I got to pay the price..thank you for your valuable time and support.

God bless!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 5:53 pm

They have a very long memory and you sound very desperate for a holiday visit to the country that doesn't want you very much. Perhaps they see it similar way.

vvleandrews

Post by vvleandrews » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 5:57 pm

Honestly more desperate due to the Business Visit. Coz I never want my company to know of my bad history. And yes holiday too coz i would like to be able to walk the streets of Orchard again and be able to visit with my husband and kid.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 6:46 pm

Oh, ok. Maybe Mad Scientist will be able to advise, but I am afraid what I said about their memory is unfortunately true.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 6:56 pm

I sympathise with your position, but why would you like the visit your 'husband' (or do you mean ex-husband, or ex-boyfriend?), who is the author of all this misery?

phyzen

Post by phyzen » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 7:13 pm

JR8 wrote:I sympathise with your position, but why would you like the visit your 'husband' (or do you mean ex-husband, or ex-boyfriend?), who is the author of all this misery?
Not visit husband, visit WITH husband (the good new one).
Wieeee!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 7:42 pm

OIC, sorry :) :oops:

If ICA can't tell you when you might be cleared, I don't think there's much anyone can do. Maybe the poster here Mad Scientist can advise...?

Good luck.

vvleandrews

Post by vvleandrews » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 9:34 pm

Thanks all and thanks JR8. Yes, it all boils down to the authority of ICA in the end. It's really unsettling to keep getting a straight-faced rejection with every appeal. And to be banned indefinitely for $50 and a crime i unwillingly committed.

I believe at some point, ICA do have some level of sympathy and would grant acquittal on prohibitions (on a case to case basis). Perhaps there is a better way to solve this rather than couriered appeals?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 21 Apr 2012 6:32 am

Need more info.
Charge under what section ?
Prosecuted or otherwise
Other infos / When WP expired or surrendered etc........
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Sat, 21 Apr 2012 2:59 pm

Have you tried calling up ICA and speaking to someone in person?

Or what about you talk to your company and help them to understand your history. Maybe that way, they may be able to help you.
vvleandrews wrote:Thanks all and thanks JR8. Yes, it all boils down to the authority of ICA in the end. It's really unsettling to keep getting a straight-faced rejection with every appeal. And to be banned indefinitely for $50 and a crime i unwillingly committed.

I believe at some point, ICA do have some level of sympathy and would grant acquittal on prohibitions (on a case to case basis). Perhaps there is a better way to solve this rather than couriered appeals?

vvleandrews

Post by vvleandrews » Sat, 21 Apr 2012 3:42 pm

Hi Mad Scientist,

Im not sure under what section of the penal code but for $50, i believe falls under petty theft. When I attended the hearing, the court ruled me guilty. The sentence was $2500 fine or 2 weeks jail sentence. I was taken to Changi Womens' as there wasn't anyone representing me to pay the fine then. Went in for 3 days until my parents paid the money and immediately my WP was taken and I was repatriated. This was in 2004.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 21 Apr 2012 4:13 pm

Are you able to get a copy of your police record?

vvleandrews

Post by vvleandrews » Sat, 21 Apr 2012 6:27 pm

Well, I've never tried and am not sure if they're able to courier it to me in Malaysia. And honestly, I might have forgotten which police station..maybe it's Thompson but I do know it's near Orchard as I was working in Takashimaya then.

Do you think it will be better to re-submit another appeal with the above police report together with my Malaysian police reports on the abuse?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 21 Apr 2012 6:42 pm

vvleandrews wrote:Well, I've never tried and am not sure if they're able to courier it to me in Malaysia. And honestly, I might have forgotten which police station..maybe it's Thompson but I do know it's near Orchard as I was working in Takashimaya then.

Do you think it will be better to re-submit another appeal with the above police report together with my Malaysian police reports on the abuse?
I think that your starting point is to get a copy of your record so that you are clear what it says (like the things Mad Scientist asked). There is usually a fee to get one (in the UK it is £5 or £10), in the US it is also a nominal fee. The UK and US will post them abroad, according to the fee charged. Check online and see if you can find any info on how it works in SG. I don't think it matters which police post it was reported at, the national records are centralised. Name and date of birth might be enough, but if you remember your FIN (noted on the visa in your passport) then that's surely enough identification.

I think that if any mitigation were due to the abuse you suffered it would/should have been taken into account at your original hearing. I can't see that you're going to get their sympathy seeking mitigation now, as you will know the SGn authorities go by the rule book.

On the face of it being excluded for this long (did you say something like the ban is permanent?) over the theft of $50 seems heavy. That said so does a $2500 fine (or 2 weeks) for a first offense, when your income was probably a modest one. That's why I suggest you start by studying your record...

vvleandrews

Post by vvleandrews » Sat, 21 Apr 2012 8:08 pm

Thank you JR8 for putting things into perspective. Yes, I should've obtained a record of my police report since the start, I've never thought about that.

You mentioned the penalty imposed was heavy, I thought it was due sentence being strict country rulings. I was in a state of daze and confusion when this happened that I never thought about reading/understanding my report thoroughly.

Sure will be on a quest to obtain the report now.