Singapore Expats

PEP approved, how to get it issued....

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:15 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
YankStuckinSuiss wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote:Based on what I've read on this forum, I wouldn't worry about that. Assuming that PEP applications are handled similarly to those for EPs, then in theory at least, the ethnicity of the applicant is not a relevant factor. At least that's my interpretation from this thread:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra5 ... ht=#576435

Even if (hypothetically) it were relevant, you would still have an advantage in that you are not from the ethnic group that is (allegedly) being affected by the 'demographics' factor. And AFAIK a person's religion or other worldly outlook is not a consideration here.

Plus of course, at the end of the day the MOM will make their decision using their own internal guidelines, so worrying about it won't help anyway.

Hang in there dude; hopefully the decision will come soon and it'll be the one you're hoping for.
Thanks Amigo...I really need this. I just found out my girlfriend is PREGNANT :o Birth control is not fool proof apparently.
Congrats. Where is she located? Not trying to make a suggestion or anything for you, but keep in mind that Singapore does make legal distinctions based on whether or not child's parents are married or not. If there is ever an application for a dependent pass or LTVP in the future, might want to factor that in.

She is in Taiwan. Thanks for the info about the LTVP.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

-George Bernard Shaw

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:41 pm

YankStuckinSuiss wrote: She is in Taiwan. Thanks for the info about the LTVP.
There was a guy here a month or two back, his GF told him she was pregnant but a few days later it transpired she was 'just testing him'. So with that in mind it seems a bit of a coincidence that you get your news the very same w/e you leave Taiwan for SG.

Either way dude, I hope it all works out for the best.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 4:51 am

YankStuckinSuiss: Did you hear anything yet?

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 4:54 am

Mi Amigo wrote: Even if (hypothetically) it were relevant, you would still have an advantage in that you are not from the ethnic group that is (allegedly) being affected by the 'demographics' factor.
I am assuming you are referring to Indians being affected and I am getting a bit scared about the outcome of my PEP application (which I am filing in next 2-3 weeks).

Please wish me luck.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 4:54 am

Yah, has she really got a bun in the oven?

:)

(I have this theory that NE Asian chicks can get really psycho if they see a relationship slipping away. So feedback is all grist to the mill eh.)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 5:00 am

Good luck Vishal,

I think it is scary times for all FT.

We're currently outstation due back in SG in 2013. My SGn wife asked what I'd do if they don't give me an LTVP. I'll be building us a house in Tioman I replied.

Honestly though, I don't think anything is guaranteed right now, so heads down and fingers crossed.

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 7:58 am

As I said on another thread, my PEP was just approved, but I'm American. Not sure if there are unwritten "criteria" for Indians, since there are so many here already.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

-George Bernard Shaw

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 8:39 am

YankStuckinSuiss wrote:Not sure if there are unwritten "criteria" for Indians, since there are so many here already.
This.

Sorry, but this country likes keeping the ratios under control. Sounds racist?

That would be a y.....
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 8:53 am

Yeah I know Lee Kuan Yew made statements in the past that the country MUST be around 75% Chinese or it will go to the crapper. LOL, I am trying to imagine an American president saying that..."this country must be X % Anglo or X% of Euro ancestry".

Then again...Singapore is liberal compare to other nations in Asia like South Korea or Japan. :D

Japanese politicians have said things about immigrants that would probably get a Western politician assassinated at worst, forced to resign at best.

Look up the mayor of Tokyo's past comments (and this guy is quite popular)

http://pmsol3.wordpress.com/2007/03/21/ ... olitician/

I lived in Tokyo for a year, and I remember quite well when he said "if we have a bad earthquake foreigners will riot, run through the streets like Mongols..."

He was mainly talking about ethnic Koreans and Chinese.
:roll:

-George Bernard Shaw

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 11:53 am

nakatago wrote:
YankStuckinSuiss wrote:Not sure if there are unwritten "criteria" for Indians, since there are so many here already.
This.

That would be a y.....
No, this doesn't sound racist to me. It just sounds cosmopolitan to me. I totally agree with maintaining the winning ratios. I have said this earlier in another thread that I know that a few of my fellow Indians (not all) have done things that bring shame to me.

Now, if you look at the track record of India and Singapore, it makes me clearly think that the Singapore wants to maintain what it thinks is a proven winning combination and I think it's totally fair.

I firmly believe that this doesn't mean 0 PEP/PR to Indians, just more scrutiny (read higher rejections and no edge cases) but I am sure that a good profile won't be rejected. I trust the abilities of the guys out there in MOM/ICA.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:09 pm

vishalgupta2 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
This.

That would be a y.....
No, this doesn't sound racist to me. It just sounds cosmopolitan to me. I totally agree with maintaining the winning ratios. I have said this earlier in another thread that I know that a few of my fellow Indians (not all) have done things that bring shame to me.

Now, if you look at the track record of India and Singapore, it makes me clearly think that the Singapore wants to maintain what it thinks is a proven winning combination and I think it's totally fair.

I firmly believe that this doesn't mean 0 PEP/PR to Indians, just more scrutiny (read higher rejections and no edge cases) but I am sure that a good profile won't be rejected. I trust the abilities of the guys out there in MOM/ICA.
I admire your ability to see the silver lining here.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 1:51 pm

He is actually spot on. He has apparently read a lot of the threads here and seen the sub-textual messages we have actually been sending, e.g., reading between the lines. We have seen Indians still getting PEP with not too much problem. The big slowdown is in the granting of PR as it's PR & citizens who make up the demographic numbers which are based only on residents, not work pass holders. Again, even though they may be rejected initially for PR they are still issuing PEPs & other EPs of various levels. As said, just applying the criteria a lot more stricter will less closing of one eye.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 1:56 pm

FWIW, my (passing) comment was just on the general attitude towards Indians (and by extension, granting PR/citizenship).

I did not really follow the PEP saga closely so I did not comment on that. What I did assume, however, is that Vishal already knows the current ethos and thus would be able relate to Afro Samurai's and my comment.

I guess I should have given my comment some more context to make it appear that PEP/PR stuff may/is different

:P

At least it's spelt out now. :)