Singapore Expats

Whats wrong with the MRT?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Whats wrong with the MRT?

Post by JR8 » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 7:09 am

I've never witnessed an MRT break-down, but these days they seem to be coming thick and fast.

Is there any indication of what 'all of a sudden' has happened to cause this?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 8:34 am

I heard from the grapevine that it was sloppy maintenance for bigger profit margins.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:01 am

Careful or you'll start a revolution......

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:05 am

BillyB wrote:Careful or you'll start a revolution......
Don't underestimate the apathy of the people.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:10 am

nakatago wrote:
BillyB wrote:Careful or you'll start a revolution......
Don't underestimate the apathy of the people.
Leading to mass hysteria......

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:26 am

It's just people have gotten spoiled with all new toys. Eventually those toys become old and start to break down. Same with owning cars isn't it? As soon as it starts to get up in miles, things start to break. Some cause the car to stop, other are just an inconvenience. Often you will trade the car in for a new one, but if the ROI was bad, you might try to keep it running for a couple more years by pumping in repairs and money. If the car is driven long & hard, the repairs come sooner. Same with most anything mechanical and all the maintenance in the world wont help if the product isn't good. Often, people compromise on new costs because of too expensive or the people don't want to make higher payments (fares) but want the transport system so make some initial compromises which show up later (like the rail clips in the news at the moment - or buying a Geely instead of a Toyota).

Of course with the Circle Line, maybe too many local contractors working on it when it was built? The original lines ran for 20 years before wear & tear starting showing up, but the original lines were built by MNC contruction companies...... (sometimes cost cutting in construction will show up sooner rather than later?)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:37 am

It seems this problem happened after they've reduced the waiting time for trains at the station , due to overcrowding.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:48 am

That'll be the fault of all the horrible foreigners!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:34 pm

local lad wrote:It seems this problem happened after they've reduced the waiting time for trains at the station , due to overcrowding.
If the Japanese can afford to have trains every minute during rush hour without them breaking down unexpectedly, surely, another first-world country and world-governance leader like Singapore can do as well.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:37 pm

BillyB wrote:That'll be the fault of all the horrible foreigners!
Of course!
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 1:19 pm

nutnut wrote:
BillyB wrote:That'll be the fault of all the horrible foreigners!
Of course!
Look at Stomp for yesterday's EW line breakdown and you will see such sentiment spewing from all directions.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 1:27 pm

I'll probably make a killing selling pitchforks and torches* to these mobs!

*pending government clearances

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 2:11 pm

Lynx, I've never seen such a gaggle of uneducated idiots as those who post on Stomp. They are, for sure, a waste of this planet's oxygen. They might be good for fertilizer, though, if mulched real good because they are definitely full of crap, but that's about all they could be good for.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 2:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Lynx, I've never seen such a gaggle of uneducated idiots as those who post on Stomp. They are, for sure, a waste of this planet's oxygen. They might be good for fertilizer, though, if mulched real good because they are definitely full of crap, but that's about all they could be good for.
Looking at their use of language, it is enough to tell that they are indeed such. The sadder part? They are the locals themselves whom Singapore Inc tries so hard to appease and preserve. So much for the monumental effort in education to bring up their class - or crass.

Of course, having said that, those narrow-minded frogs are only the majority - some locals are reasonable and wise but they are far too few to salvage the deteriorating gene pool. And that is the saddest part of all.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 3:08 pm

Yup!