Singapore Expats

Pedestrian Courtesy in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:02 pm

aster wrote:
WideEyed wrote:It's as if the majority is on auto pilot with blinders on and their head in an invisible bubble. I don't think kiasu explains it. It's more like a kind of widespread boredom.
I think it's the "going from point A to point B in a straight line" approach coupled with their inability to recalculate their "trajectory" until an object (like yourself) is less than half-a-yard in front of them heading in their direction, at which point it's usually too late.
Like parkour, except that they don't get around the obstacles efficiently. Instead they make the obstacles go around them as they charge forward.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:09 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:If you are dragging a wheeled bag, make sure to drag it across their ankles as well.
It's even easier when you have young kids as your stroller can act like a snow plow. It's funny how often someone will wait until the very last possible moment to jump aside at which point their "evasion maneuver" success rate falls rapidly.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yep, an if you are a short block you have a lower centre of gravity then them so the briefcase usually impacts the shins or kneecaps, and if it's a 14kg samsonite hardside, it will definitely make an impression.
I think that's pretty much equal to me coming back from one of my wine crusades where I must have at least 14kg all nicely concealed in supermarket bags. :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:19 pm

aster wrote:
WideEyed wrote:It's as if the majority is on auto pilot with blinders on and their head in an invisible bubble. I don't think kiasu explains it. It's more like a kind of widespread boredom.
I think it's the "going from point A to point B in a straight line" approach coupled with their inability to recalculate their "trajectory" until an object (like yourself) is less than half-a-yard in front of them heading in their direction, at which point it's usually too late.
Unfortunately this is "learned" at an early age here in Singapore. So many kids on bicycles who will happily plow right into other people or bicycles, while the parents just stand behind in a daze. In the past month, I've been hit three times by kids who rode right into me head on, when I had stopped. (No where else to go for me, since other sides were surrounded by aforementioned groups of oblivious pedestrians.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:20 pm

Yeah, but you gotta make sure the bottles are protected! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aster
Manager
Manager

Re: Pedestrian Courtesy in Singapore

Post by aster » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:48 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I especially like doing it to the old uncles that try to barge onto MRT while I'm still getting off.
I respect the elders more than some of the young folks here so I let them be and would never do that, but it's the young punks who get no mercy or any leeway, especially if I'm getting off and stand right in the very middle between the two doors... meaning no excuse whatsoever for being in the way of alighting passengers.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sat, 14 Apr 2012 1:38 pm

My biggest frustration is getting onto a crowded train, only to have some guy get on at the next stop with some huge backpack and refuses to take it off, despite almost hitting one lady in the face with it, and pushing and rubbing against everyone else with it whenever others needed to alight.

He said it was his 'right' to wear it. Hate these kinds of douches.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 3:54 pm

Splatted wrote:...to have some guy get on at the next stop with some huge backpack...

That really gives some form to the word 'douchebag' :lol:

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 5:34 pm

the lynx wrote:
Splatted wrote:...to have some guy get on at the next stop with some huge backpack...

That really gives some form to the word 'douchebag' :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:37 pm

Splatted wrote:My biggest frustration is getting onto a crowded train, only to have some guy get on at the next stop with some huge backpack and refuses to take it off, despite almost hitting one lady in the face with it, and pushing and rubbing against everyone else with it whenever others needed to alight.

People with large back packs can surprisingly easily be pushed off balance. Get smacked with a pack? Push the blighter, via his pack, into the train doors, into a post, onto the floor. A lifting motion on the bottom of the pack along with a generous thrust in your preferred direction creates some satisfying moments... particularly useful on the inter terminal tram at KLIA.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 17 Apr 2012 9:21 am

I never take my bag off when on the train, the thing is, if you put it on the floor then everyone kicks it and stands on it! I suppose it depends how big your pack is, I'm talking laptop bag size, I don't use backpacks like travellers.

I had a guy tell me to take it off one time as I rubbed against him once, he got all upset about it, I told him to go away. That was the end of that, I'm surprised it wasn't on Stomp to be honest! I had nowhere to put it on the floor. He kept trying to push me but he was too weak.

I suppose I am a douchebag too :P
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Apr 2012 9:34 am

When arguing with a large backback wielding feller there is a point of diminishing returns the bigger the backpack wielder is. So, in answer to your question, I guess it would be yeah, but a very large one! :P :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 17 Apr 2012 10:48 am

It's a small backpack, but a large wielder ;)
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 17 Apr 2012 4:11 pm

phyzen

Post by phyzen » Tue, 17 Apr 2012 10:05 pm

To be fair, when I changed department I put all my stuff in my giant bag (it had to fit on an airplane) and I took it to the MRT. That's how I travel. The guards had a look at it and made sure I wasn't bombing anyone, but after that, if I can fit my bag, that's part of my circle. Of course I'm not hitting anyone with it, but my radius is probably equal to a really fat person. There are some limits to what you bring though, so if they let me through, surely it's fine? I haven't been here very long, so perhaps it's a big problem. In reality, the amount of people seems to be the big problem, not their luggage.
Wieeee!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Apr 2012 10:33 pm

Courteous people would remove large bags and put them on the floor if possible to keep from knocking people over who happen to have to stand behind or just to the left or right side slightly behind the wearer of the oversized bag. Or, instead of wearing it on one's back, wear in in front so you can see how much damage you are doing. A little courtesy goes a long way.

But somehow, that's lost in translation here.