Singapore Expats

Spouse's PR Approved (I am PR 2) - But we r outside Sing

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
yashuo

Spouse's PR Approved (I am PR 2) - But we r outside Sing

Post by yashuo » Thu, 12 Apr 2012 5:36 pm

So the good news first,

My wife's PR was recently approved! :D

Now to the subject issue: I was posted by my firm to India last Sept on a 1-2 year assignment (looking more like 1 now), so we are currently in India.

I contacted the ICA about extending the validity of the time in which to complete the PR formalities because of this, and to give credit to them, they responded (all correspondence via email) quickly and extended the validity to July 12th 2012 (the letter, which I don't have, was dated March 12, '12 and I believe specifies that you have to complete the formalities in 30 days?).

Question: Will the ICA have a problem with completion of the formalities for my wife and issuing her with the PR card and REP given that we are currently outside Singapore?

We don't have a Sing residential address as we were renting. All my bank accounts, though, continue to be in Sing, and I have contributed to CPF (voluntarily - technically, even though my ultimate employer (parent bank) has not changed, my legal/tax employer is the Indian entity versus the Singapore entity).

We are waiting for a duplicate approval letter to be mailed to us in India, after which we will go online for the booking of the interview/apptmt at ICA. I intend to accompany my wife for this.

Our intention is to most definitely return to Sing within the next 6-10 months, and be based there for the long term. I am in fact in the process of selling my home in Canada and will be signing official listing documents and listing via MLS within the next two weeks (so will have documentary evidence of this).

Thanks to all in advance for your insights/thoughts on the matter,

Yashuo

*[Whilst I agree with many on this forum who are generally against analyzing statistics, responding to "what are my chances?" and "how do I game the system?" type posts (though they will never word it that last way), and all of that, I also recognize that there are some genuine, honest folks out there, so I will give the timeline and some basic stats: I was posted to Sing in Feb '09 and became PR in mid-'10. Got married in May '10, and wife joined my on LTVP. We applied for her PR ~Fall '10, and it was approved in Mar '12]. She was not working in Sing as she is a dentist and it is a very long and complex process to get certified if your qualifications are not from a college recognized by the governing body (the SDC). But she fully intends to do so once qualified.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Apr 2012 7:45 pm

Which does exactly what I said. Makes it "how long is a piece of string?" Some apply & get it within 3 months not 18 months as in your wife's case. This is exactly why the stats are irrelevant. In fact, in your case, the stats could be discouraging to some. Especially considering her application was BEFORE the last GE.

So anybody with masters degrees who think that all the info means anything at all, good luck.

Insights? You've got ever thing you need, you just need to get back to Singapore to complete the formalities I reckon.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 13 Apr 2012 2:10 am

Agreed with SMS . Get it done and dusted once an for all OR forever never see the daylight of it
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 13 Apr 2012 8:29 am

You have to complete the PR process in Singapore and it will take you about 3 to 4 working days and another 7 days until you can collect your ICs. I had the same issue a few years ago.