Singapore Expats

Quake

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Quake

Post by BigSis » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 4:44 pm

Oh dear - an earthquake just happened. Either it was quite strong or it was fairly close. I hope it doesn't cause anyone too much damage.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 4:51 pm

I never felt it.
nutnut

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 4:57 pm

8.9 it says on one of the earthquake sites - says 8.33 on the NEA site for Singapore. Off western Sumatra.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 5:04 pm

Strange I never felt it too.

And I'm in Tuas area, which is probably the closest I could get to the west. But I'm not in higher levels of a building so I guess I won't be able to feel it even if I want to.

Don't worry, tsunami won't be able to reach here, if that is your concern.

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 5:12 pm

They've settled on 8.7 now.

It did feel quite strong, but I'm high up so bound to be a bit more prone to swaying. I'm not worried about a tsunami for us in Singapore - we weren't affected in 04. It's everyone else in the region that I feel for.

Before the big one in 04 happened, we did have quite a few quakes that year and as I haven't felt one here for ages, I'm hoping it isn't the start of something bigger.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 5:18 pm

You wanna feel quake. Come to CHCH . I have been here since a year and half now . Almost 5000 quakes since then. The strongest was I think 6.8. There was night , we had 4 at one go .!!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 5:23 pm

erm no thanks - I'm quite happy to live in a fairly quake-free area :?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 12 Apr 2012 7:29 am

It was felt mostly in the East and Central areas. I did not feel a thing (Nanyang).

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 12 Apr 2012 8:50 am

Very strange, I was in the East at the time in a fairly high building... Oh well, I am maybe not very sensitive to it!
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 12 Apr 2012 8:50 am

x9200 wrote:It was felt mostly in the East and Central areas. I did not feel a thing (Nanyang).
I guess that's because those are the areas with more tall buildings?

But the cyberspace was definitely suffering from aftershocks (not in literal sense) with panic and hoax news. Facebook and Twitter is the culprit. People telling what they hear from so and so and so that waves after waves of tsunami measuring Mt Faber's height is going to hit the shores at 0000 hour etc... And then the righteous ones will start their 'pray for deliverance', 'repent for the end is near' chant.

And you know I'm exaggerating there but that's the idea. And it is annoying. Especially when it is not backed from authoritative sources.

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Thu, 12 Apr 2012 9:36 am

It is annoying when people try to spread panic like that, but anyone who was here in 04 will remember how Sumatra sheltered us (and much of the west coast of peninsular Malaysia too).

Unless it happened somewhere like the east of Sumatra or maybe Borneo, I don't think we've got too much to worry about. I believe Singapore did get some of the Krakatoa ash in the 1800s, but I haven't read anything about the tsunami reaching here (perhaps we're blocked by Batam and Bintan)

The area of the quake yesterday afternoon has been having aftershocks all night but most of them wouldn't have been felt here:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... s_all.html