Singapore Expats

EP renewal rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 10:56 pm

It's hard to tell. Parameter have changed. Criteria has been tightened up. Lot's of EP's are being demoted to S Passes. Lot's of S passes are being rejected and they have to go home. It's happening across all industries and no matter WHO your employer is, MNC or SME, all are being affected as well at the employee getting sent home. Don't you listen to the evening news or read the newspapers? Just hold your breath.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

amarzub

Post by amarzub » Sun, 04 Mar 2012 12:41 am

Thats i heard lot of stories. But my question is when last time i got the message "Pending inputs from vetting agencies" does it mean they already had checked/investigated me or will they do it again ? Reason is very simple, because i am living in Singapore past 6 years have family here kids going to school. Its painful really when you hang in-between maybe/maybe not.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 04 Mar 2012 8:30 am

amarzub wrote:Thats i heard lot of stories. But my question is when last time i got the message "Pending inputs from vetting agencies" does it mean they already had checked/investigated me or will they do it again ? Reason is very simple, because i am living in Singapore past 6 years have family here kids going to school. Its painful really when you hang in-between maybe/maybe not.
My experience isn't an exact parallel to this, but I would suspect you won't see this again. For example, when I applied for EP and DPs, I had to submit marriage certificate, birth certificate, "educational credentials", etc. I just upgraded those to a PEP, and when I brought all of those down to MOM, I was told "already got la, no need again" (paraphrased in bad singlish by me)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 04 Mar 2012 12:16 pm

As an adjunct, they are rechecking the documentation/credentials of a lot of long stayers. I received a letter yesterday from MOM requesting all original documentation as well as salary vouchers, and other stuff for an S pass holder who's been with me since 2007. Just be prepared for the worst and then should it all work out you will be one of the lucky ones. It's gonna get really rough in the next 3 to 5 months for all expats coming up for renewals or for those who have been here for more than two renewals.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:23 pm

I read a lot about stricter regulations on PR, PEP, EP, etc. especially in regard to South and Southeast Asian applicants. What about Western applicants? I applied for PEP on March 31st, as with many of these cases, I completely qualify, according to the MOM site, but I also sent certified documentation in regard to my degrees, last two paycheck stubs from my overseas company (in Switzerland). I also included a copy of my CV. I have 9 years experience in I.T. but I'm a Business Analyst/Applications Analyst, not really an extremely special skill in the job market, although many jobs are being advertised for it and the unemployment rate is quite low (thinking there are not enough local employees to go around).

My biggest concern is my highest degree (a Master's in a Liberal Art) did not match my work experience (I.T.), but I do have two bachelor's in Information Systems and International Business, respectively. All the schools are listed on the MOM site, and none were distance learning. I am an American citizen by birth.

Right now, I am sitting in Singapore waiting for the result of my application. Do you think this application might be more successful than some of the distance learning and/or "other Asian" applicants?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

-George Bernard Shaw

anteater

Post by anteater » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 6:07 pm

I have been working within the same company for 3 years in Singapore and I have just found a new job, but my EP got rejected, with a master degree from france. thus, unless something went wrong with my application, western applicants are also concerned.

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 7:35 pm

anteater wrote:I have been working within the same company for 3 years in Singapore and I have just found a new job, but my EP got rejected, with a master degree from france. thus, unless something went wrong with my application, western applicants are also concerned.
Was your master's degree in the same field as your current work?

What is your jobs?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

-George Bernard Shaw

anteater

Post by anteater » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 8:03 pm

YankStuckinSuiss wrote:
anteater wrote:I have been working within the same company for 3 years in Singapore and I have just found a new job, but my EP got rejected, with a master degree from france. thus, unless something went wrong with my application, western applicants are also concerned.
Was your master's degree in the same field as your current work?

What is your jobs?
master in CS, position IT manager, previous experience all the same.. salary 4500 though, dunno how bad is that. anyway, appealing now, if that one is rejected, I heard they will give a reason this time!

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 8:14 pm

That salary seems quite low, that might be why...You should probably be making up or over 6,000 sgd a month, I would think (13 months)...

Is this a local company?

-George Bernard Shaw

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 8:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As an adjunct, they are rechecking the documentation/credentials of a lot of long stayers. I received a letter yesterday from MOM requesting all original documentation as well as salary vouchers, and other stuff for an S pass holder who's been with me since 2007. Just be prepared for the worst and then should it all work out you will be one of the lucky ones. It's gonna get really rough in the next 3 to 5 months for all expats coming up for renewals or for those who have been here for more than two renewals.
As an update to the above, it would seem that this weekend two of my S pass holders from Myanmar did runners. One was the aforementioned gentleman noted above who was due to go down to MOM's foreign worker division on Kim Seng Road on the 11th (2 days from now). The letter stated that there would be a lot of "interviews" going on that day! Word from some of their Myanmar colleagues today after questioning revealed that these two had bogus documents (and the aforementioned had been with us since 2008 not 2007 as earlier mentions). The other only been here for 5 months. So apparently they are initially only spot checking but thorough checking continues in the background.

You all are hereby notified and duly warned..... :-|

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 13 Apr 2012 5:46 pm

It's just over three months until my EP expires and I did a renewal application earlier this week. It was rejected the same day.

Now submitted the usual appeal.

Been here 5yrs....... guess it might just be another 3-months more.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Fri, 13 Apr 2012 7:44 pm

You never tried for PR in the time you were here?

-George Bernard Shaw

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 9:33 am

YankStuckinSuiss wrote:You never tried for PR in the time you were here?
Sure I did but it was unfortunate timing also, as a lot of PR applications at that time were unsuccessful. Too many locals were complaining about too many foreigners being made PR, taking HDBs, jobs and the like.

I was told to wait two year........my two years are not complete yet and BOOM!
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:01 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:
YankStuckinSuiss wrote:You never tried for PR in the time you were here?
Sure I did but it was unfortunate timing also, as a lot of PR applications at that time were unsuccessful. Too many locals were complaining about too many foreigners being made PR, taking HDBs, jobs and the like.

I was told to wait two year........my two years are not complete yet and BOOM!
that sucks...sorry to hear that. Only other option is getting married, I guess. :(

-George Bernard Shaw

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:55 am

That won't necessarily do it either. It will be looked at as a marriage of convenience for the first two years.