Singapore Expats

Tenants Rights after vacating premises

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
DandJ

Tenants Rights after vacating premises

Post by DandJ » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 3:12 pm

Our landlord has been unreasonable since day one. Under contract he was legally obliged to keep the air conditioning serviced and functioning but we were forced to live the last few months without air conditioning to the lounge/kitchen area. He has been holding our security deposit since we left in February and has just this week provided a list of expenses he says we owe. As a an example one item was for a missing bolt in the hall cupboard which was not there when we moved in and I have emails to back this up, he wants to charge over $100 to replace the whole door!!! Has anybody had experience with the Singapore Law Society? This is apparently our only option now. All in all he is trying to extort approximately $5424. In this price he has included repairs to the air conditioning which he is trying to claim is misuse and he thinks we left the door open and kept the air conditioner running. Its just outrageous and I dont believe he should be allowed to get away with it.
David & Josie

Search By

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 4:03 pm

I'd lay out your position in a letter to him including your demands and give him two weeks to refund your depo. Tell him if he does not you will take him to the Small Claims Tribunal. (You can check out their website so you know how they work).

I'm sure he has done this before, be grateful you're still in the country.

Pls keep the forum updated with how you get on.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 7:14 pm

When you will be writing the letter don't forget to mention that in case you have to resort to take legal action you are also going to seek compensation related to the aircon issue and any other of his failures to fulfill his contract obligation.