Singapore Expats

Popular online shopping sites (eg like Amazon) in Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
jbsing

Popular online shopping sites (eg like Amazon) in Singapore?

Post by jbsing » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 4:25 am

Hi,

I understand there's no Amazon in Singapore. I doubt it would be cost efficient paying Amazon's international postage. So is there a shopping site in Singapore similar to Amazon (i.e. has everything and possibly reviews)?

Is ebay popular in Singapore? I've had a browse and got the feeling it wasnt that popular. Maybe I am wrong. What are the popular sites for people to sell unwanted items?

Can you please suggests some popular websites (ideally has everything like amazon) that people in Singapore use for online shopping.

thank you in advance.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 6:59 am

Amazon & eBay. Also vPost to get it here. There are a few other's like vPost around that perform the same function as well but you will have to google for them.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 8:16 am

Everyone here seems to take the piss when it come to ebay seems to have little concept of what auctions are and never heard of a gentleman handshake.

A classic example I stuck an item on ebay starting price $1 and mugs would phone up saying they are coming around to collect it and hand over a dollar.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 8:47 am

Ain't it the truth! Or they sms you asking "got discount or not" So I always put in my descriptions an auction opening bid and a "BIN" price and further discounts will not be entertained. The auction start price is the discount providing nobody else bids on it. Even then, some still try. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 9:02 am

Yeah, basically, since the returns policy in shops in Singapore is only 7 days and even then they'll probably tell you to go to the service centre. People want to touch, open and test their products before they buy them. This may change in September when the "lemon law" comes into play, then all shops are responsible for the goods they sell for the period of 6 months. It's a little more complex than that, but that may cool the consumer down and bring in the internet shopping.

vPost works great and quite often, even with the additional postage costs from States/UK the item is cheaper than if you bought it here! :)

Edit: Oh, if you want books, (Amazon started on them, so I assume that may be possible) and you are willing to wait a while, then use these guys, they do free international shipping on all books! http://www.bookdepository.com/
nutnut

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 9:08 am

When a local describes an item as brand new in the box, to me that would mean unopened manufacture seals intact, when you push them it turns out they took it out to "test" which means it is not BNIB for all I know the guy could have used it everyday for months before cleaning it and sticking it back in the box.

You always see "PM me to discuss" in ads. for a country that markets itself on a concept of total transparency there seems to be a polar opposite mindset with the general population.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 9:24 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Ain't it the truth! Or they sms you asking "got discount or not" So I always put in my descriptions an auction opening bid and a "BIN" price and further discounts will not be entertained. The auction start price is the discount providing nobody else bids on it. Even then, some still try. :roll:
That is effing stupid! These people are just waiting to be the first to be wiped out during an apocalypse.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 9:43 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Ain't it the truth! Or they sms you asking "got discount or not" So I always put in my descriptions an auction opening bid and a "BIN" price and further discounts will not be entertained. The auction start price is the discount providing nobody else bids on it. Even then, some still try. :roll:

I hear ya. I put an item on sale, HEAVILY discounted already from the market price and some pooser asks me if I can take 40% off my asking price.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 10:02 am

nakatago wrote:

I hear ya. I put an item on sale, HEAVILY discounted already from the market price and some pooser asks me if I can take 40% off my asking price.
My wife pretty often sells some kids stuff our small one outgrown already and she has a lot of fun of this type. Other standard practice includes: asking 10x for information clearly pointed out in the listening; canceling pick-up appointments a number of times.
I hardly sell on ebay anything but also with buying I avoid Singapore based sellers as there are practically always some issues with them. Needles to say I typically faster get some goods into my hands buying from UK than from Singapore.

x9200

Re: Popular online shopping sites (eg like Amazon) in Singap

Post by x9200 » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 10:17 am

jbsing wrote:Hi,

I understand there's no Amazon in Singapore. I doubt it would be cost efficient paying Amazon's international postage.
If this is Amazon itself (and not some thrid parties under their umbrella) then it is very cost effective. The problem is Amazon does not ship too many things to Singapore but buying books or DVDs/CDs from them together with the shipment is very reasonable. It looks like Amazon has its own shipment channels to Singapore. I bought some time ago a few photo albums from them with the combined weight over 5kg, paid IIRC something between 10-20USD for the shipment and had them delivered to my door within a week by a nice lady wearing an Amazon t-shirt.

And don't listen to nutnut, vpost should be your last choice, at least from my rather extensive experience.

Also, you may want to use the search link at the top of the page - this topic was discussed in details in a number of threads.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 10:22 am

There are a few random online stores that will ship to Singapore for cheap/free, and sell at discount US/Amazon prices.

One good one for shoes/accessories/some clothing is: http://www.endless.com/

I had a few more somewhere, I'll update later if I can find them. Otherwise I just shop from Amazon US and pay for shipping.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 12:47 pm

x9200 wrote:asking 10x for information clearly pointed out in the listening.
THIS.

For a country priding itself of its education system, a lot of people seem to have a problem with reading comprehension.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Re: Popular online shopping sites (eg like Amazon) in Singap

Post by nutnut » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 12:58 pm

x9200 wrote:
And don't listen to nutnut, vpost should be your last choice, at least from my rather extensive experience..
Huh? What did I say? it works great (never had any issue personally) and it still cheaper than buying most stuff here!

What in that sentence is wrong? Of course the OP should do their due diligence (try and get posted to them directly and check local prices) but otherwise it's a good service.
nutnut

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 1:37 pm

The statement is wrong "vPost works great" unless we understand it differently. Before I switched to another provider I used them few good times and frankly, I don't remember a single case when everything went smoothly. Numerous problems matching the invoices with the parcels to start with and they are relaying on speedpost services to finish which not really deliver. I can tell you all the stories over a beer or seven next time we meet :)

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 2:28 pm

I always use bongo not the cheapest but so far very pleased with the goods forwarding services.