Singapore Expats

Leaving Gracefully

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Leaving Gracefully

Post by poodlek » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 4:18 pm

We're down to our official last four months of our Singapore adventure. It's now high time I started browsing the forum to figure out all the things I'll have to do before we can get out of here...my head is swimming! As much as I'm looking forward to being back in Canada for the summer, I'm dreading the packing and moving. We arrived here two of us (and four pets) with just two suitcases and a carry on each. We'll be leaving with a toddler and a ton more stuff we've acquired. Daunting...but the end is in sight!

Well wishes and random advice appreciated. 8-)

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 4:23 pm

I don't know how to leave Singapore, I haven't done so, but I'd be happy to be a well wisher!

Good luck Poodle, it was nice to meet you and hope your journey back is good, should you need any assistance please give me a shout :)
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 4:27 pm

I can only second Nutnut's advice and wishes. Will be sad to see your journey end but one thing is for sure, you won't forget it. (Be it good or bad). It's definitely an experience. And it was great meeting both the both of you and seeing the newest member of the family! :)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 8:10 pm

Has this thread by any chance something to do with the date of today? :-k

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 8:16 pm

x9200 wrote:Has this thread by any chance something to do with the date of today? :-k
If it does, it's a seriously cruel joke on the part of my husband's employer :-D
We're for real, contract is up in July and it doesn't look like an extension is in the works.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 8:11 am

To: P

Never say never.
You do not know what future lies
I was meant to settle down for good in Motala. Now look at me, down in CHCH, wife in Melbourn with my daughters. ..........

Keep an open mind and grab opportunities as it comes by coz you only live once !!

Take care and godspeed
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 1:35 pm

poodlek wrote:
x9200 wrote:Has this thread by any chance something to do with the date of today? :-k
If it does, it's a seriously cruel joke on the part of my husband's employer :-D
We're for real, contract is up in July and it doesn't look like an extension is in the works.
Good luck! I know you were in a similar situation to my wife's in regards to getting into the US. Hope you've been able to sort that all out for the best and get your IR visa?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 2:52 pm

Aww, you're leaving? It has been fun knowing you in this forum. Hope everything goes smoothly for you and your family :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 2:56 pm

Such is the nature of this country. Oh well; it's been fun :)

One last hurrah on the 20th?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 3:08 pm

We've been trying Nak, but....... :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 4:08 pm

Yep, unfortunately she's already said Cannot Lah! although, if it's July then there may be other opportunities! :)
nutnut

WildGoose

Re: Leaving Gracefully

Post by WildGoose » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 5:57 pm

poodlek wrote:We're down to our official last four months of our Singapore adventure. It's now high time I started browsing the forum to figure out all the things I'll have to do before we can get out of here...my head is swimming! As much as I'm looking forward to being back in Canada for the summer, I'm dreading the packing and moving. We arrived here two of us (and four pets) with just two suitcases and a carry on each. We'll be leaving with a toddler and a ton more stuff we've acquired. Daunting...but the end is in sight!

Well wishes and random advice appreciated. 8-)
Hi Poodlek,

Best wishes to you and your family.

I'm not able to give you any advice on your moving back to Canada. Instead i'd like to seek your advice on living in Canada.

I'm planning on migrating and Canada is one of the countries which i'm looking at. I've started a topic at http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic86836.html seeking advice from anyone who has lived in Canada before.

Would appreciate your comment.

Thank you.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 9:55 pm

We left twice, and if you count this latest jaunt ~ a third time just for me. The only truly graceful exit is when you slip away on a midnight flight. No splashy 'Going Away' parties, etc... but I don't suggest that, give yourself a chance to say goodbye. Don't be surprised if some friends start to pull away once they know you are leaving. Especially your toddler's playmates, this is common.

As far as the logistics go, start as early as possible:

The moving companies are very busy late Spring - Early Fall, get estimates ASAP and secure a move date

Moving pets either with a professional relocated or by yourself takes a lot of time and running around, start planning as soon as possible

If your repatriation is paid for, then think about filling up the container but be mindful that laquer and some woods will fare very badly in Canada. I brought back a lot of nice big pots from The Jungle and they did great.

Don't close you bank account when you leave if possible as there are usually a few last minute bills that roll in after the fact

Pay to have you mail forwarded but be advised, tons will still be delivered to your old address

Plan to carry on: external hard drive of you have one (or put photos, documents, etc.. on a cloud), jewelry, important receipts, hard copies of important documents, anything important to your toddler (assume your luggage will be lost or late) that will help them feel settled after the flight, check books, last minute going away gifts people give you, etc...

Go through your entire house and take photographs of everything. This is the foundation of the inventory you will need for the movers. This takes a long time, but is soooo worth it.

Ask a friend to bring lunch on moving day, little chance you will be able to get out and they will have packed your plates and utensils.

Good luck Poodle K, it seems daunting, but if you start early you'll avoid a crunch and a lot of stress.

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 10:29 pm

Best wishes Poodle - we're in the same situation - moving back to the UK in July after 10 years here. I think it will be a bit of a shock to the system :o

Great advice Mary - thanks for posting all of that. Quite glad we haven't got pets to worry about along with everything else.......and at least it will be summer (albeit UK summer!) when we get there so although it may be rainy and although it may be as cold as March - I think we may at least be able to rule out frost and snow :D

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 05 Apr 2012 12:04 am

BigSis wrote:Best wishes Poodle - we're in the same situation - moving back to the UK in July after 10 years here. I think it will be a bit of a shock to the system :o
I think a move to anywhere will be a shock - I have this strange feeling that the moment you leave will be when you will appreciate this place more than ever. At least I imagine that's how it'll be if I ever leave...