Singapore Expats

Please read and give me your thoughts... need my ep asap!!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 5:50 pm

We advise the job seeker to learn all about the LoC so that they are able to explain it to the employer. Sometimes, that's all it takes. The only problem with the LoC other than being tied to the EP holders pass is that, most employers will then realize the beauty of it, but that will also be their signal to hire on the cheap without perks as they know that otherwise, the job seeker may be out of luck finding employment. It's a double-edged sword.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 5:52 pm

Just a random thought...

If you apply for a EP with company A and it is refused. Then you marry your EP holding boyfriend, get a DP and have company A apply for a LoC for the same job you wanted in the first place. Is there any scope for MoM considering 'Marriage of convenience' issues?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 5:58 pm

I'm sure they'll put two & two together.... :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Obscurityspeaks

Post by Obscurityspeaks » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 6:42 pm

@sms - Thanks for clarifying. I see that you have a sound knowledge of the MOM matters from reading your comments on other forum topics. I mean how old are you? Errr... I think am getting too personal!!! Sorry.

So two things...

First up, employers tend to buy me cheap as I have this handicap of not being able to get an Epass

Second, as JRB puts it, MOM will consider it as 'Marriage of Convenience'

Hell! Is there not a way outtttttttt???

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 6:53 pm

JR8 wrote:If you apply for a EP with company A and it is refused. Then you marry your EP holding boyfriend, get a DP and have company A apply for a LoC for the same job you wanted in the first place. Is there any scope for MoM considering 'Marriage of convenience' issues?
Wow, acronym city, man. :shock:
Be careful what you wish for

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 7:09 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Very much so. The Letter of Consent does not require the applicant to meet any academic criteria at all. It can be denied, however, and I have seen that happen, albeit, rarely. The only problem is selling the employer on it, as most employers are ignorant of the LoC and don't even know about it. It is the employer that must file the LoC. It is tied to the EP holders EP which means it expired with the EP holder's pass expires and is renewed at the same time.
Maybe we should sticky this link somewhere?
http://www.ica.gov.sg/news_details.aspx?nid=12665

While it is primarily about the LTVP+, section B, "Employment" is pretty much a perfect FAQ for everything people and employers need to know about the LoC.

(B) Employment Benefits

Q23: I am an LTVP+ holder. What is the appropriate work pass that I should apply for?
A23: As an LTVP+ holder, your prospective employer will have to apply for a Letter of Consent (LOC) with the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). You can start work only when your LOC application is approved by MOM.
Q24: What is an “LOC”

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 8:40 pm

Obscurityspeaks wrote:@sms - Thanks for clarifying. I see that you have a sound knowledge of the MOM matters from reading your comments on other forum topics. I mean how old are you? Errr... I think am getting too personal!!! Sorry.

So two things...

First up, employers tend to buy me cheap as I have this handicap of not being able to get an Epass

Second, as JRB puts it, MOM will consider it as 'Marriage of Convenience'

Hell! Is there not a way outtttttttt???
We have another regular on here, intellectualsmuse, whom I've met socially. She is another who came here with the qualifications but had a lot of problems finding employment on her own merits. We went through the LoC procedures and she found something that, while not suitable was tolerable for the short term. Later, she found something based on her qualifications and I believe she is now on an Employment Pass. But she went for a long time without finding work. Do a search for her on this board:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic68928.html

Obscurityspeaks

thanks sms :)

Post by Obscurityspeaks » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:23 am

SMS - I'm generally a bold girl, but this rejection had bogged down my spirits much. Really appreciate the share. You have no clue of how it's lifted my morale. Thanks a bunch! I will try now with renewed vigor.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 6:58 am

Oh, in regards to you other question. It's pretty common knowledge here that I'm the oldest SOB in the Swamp here. I'm looking at 65 later this year. but don't let my chronological age fool you, as others here will attest.

Obscurityspeaks

@sms

Post by Obscurityspeaks » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 9:49 pm

65 :) Guessed that much... what's there in age? It's just a number. Good to have you around. Sorry about letting out much steam in my earlier posts.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:23 pm

No worries. It never bothers me. I've heard it all, and I'm everybody's favorite target (trolls especially) but I've yet to have one good enough to make me lose it. I'm blunt, opinionated and my English grammar is atrocious, (I'm an ole farmboy - and the cows didn't give a hoot as long as they got milked at 4:30 in the morning). One thing I'm famous for is telling it like it is. I don't try to be PC as too much gets lost in the massaging of the message. But I do tell you the straight skinny, on that you can count. So , welcome to the board!

sms

Obscurityspeaks

@sms

Post by Obscurityspeaks » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 8:18 pm

Whoa! that's some honest confession there. I like people who keep it straight and to the point. You did get my attention of all forumers here by simply being you! :P

LOL @ trolls. Hope I'm not in the list :P

About your grammar, I think you are pretty modest, aren't you? I mean, I haven't found a grammar error in your comments and I think your writings are cool.

Obscurityspeaks

@sms

Post by Obscurityspeaks » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 8:20 pm

I know it sounds silly, but i did try finding you on facebook using the name sundaymorningstaple :P

sundaymorningstaple

Re: @sms

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 9:00 pm

Obscurityspeaks wrote:I know it sounds silly, but i did try finding you on facebook using the name sundaymorningstaple :P
sundaymorningstaple wouldn't be caught dead on there...... ;-)

My English, for want of a better word, is understandable except to the British, as nutnut will attest. Frankly it's gotten a lot better since being on this board but it's far from perfect. It's okay for everyday usage but I'd never make an author or writer of any sort. But that's okay. It's gotten me this far. ;-) Half the time I'm using British spellings and half the time, Noah Webster's. :oops!:

Obscurityspeaks

@sms

Post by Obscurityspeaks » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 9:21 pm

:( not there on fb. Lol at Noah's :D