Singapore Expats

Average salaries in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ganeshiyerv

Post by ganeshiyerv » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:27 pm

the lynx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are a vegan and don't want private transport and are a non-drinker then yes you can do it in Singapore and possibly save 20-25%. That is assuming you can find HDB under 2K/mo. If you really want to save, share an HDB. Try to find an HDB renting out a Master BR (attached private bathroom) for a year or two till you get established.
Not if he is on strictly Indian vegetarian diet... That will take away a lot of food options (and goodbye to savings too).
Hey thanks for your reply guys!
Yes I am a vegan, non drinker and dont want a private transport. My office would be in high street plaza. I am ok with living in a HDB bit far from the center. I saw a couplea threads that say HDB is noisy. Is it for a fact? I can cook and take the public transport. Also, I have a masters degree with a year of exp post masters and 3 years before that. So is it a fair compensation?

I understand there are countless threads with similar discussions, unfortunately they offer historic values. I did search and more or less landed up in a discussion on this thread.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:48 pm

ganeshiyerv wrote:
the lynx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are a vegan and don't want private transport and are a non-drinker then yes you can do it in Singapore and possibly save 20-25%. That is assuming you can find HDB under 2K/mo. If you really want to save, share an HDB. Try to find an HDB renting out a Master BR (attached private bathroom) for a year or two till you get established.
Not if he is on strictly Indian vegetarian diet... That will take away a lot of food options (and goodbye to savings too).
Hey thanks for your reply guys!
Yes I am a vegan, non drinker and dont want a private transport. My office would be in high street plaza. I am ok with living in a HDB bit far from the center. I saw a couplea threads that say HDB is noisy. Is it for a fact? I can cook and take the public transport. Also, I have a masters degree with a year of exp post masters and 3 years before that. So is it a fair compensation?

I understand there are countless threads with similar discussions, unfortunately they offer historic values. I did search and more or less landed up in a discussion on this thread.
It's hard to say if you're getting the right salary for the position, but I can just say that a lot of previous posters have had similar qualifications and worked for a lot less. So it's not bad :P

Some HDB are loud, some are not. Mine is very quiet except for the noise from traffic if the windows are open. But a private condo in the same location would have the same problem. I guess it's all about location.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:52 pm

ganeshiyerv, If the threads are less than two years old, the data is relatively accurate as they are averages anyway.

Salary-wise, I would agree with zzm. In Singapore, you don't get much mileage with a Masters as they are all too common and most are not from "world renown" universities, but from local universities of dubious international quality. Your mileage may vary.

Lynx, there may be less choices, but as long as there isn't any meat, it's got to be cheaper from a cost viewpoint. He was discussing costs, not necessarily variety. If you are a vegan, your variety is already reduced. :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 3:31 pm

ganeshiyerv wrote:Hey thanks for your reply guys!

High Street Plaza eh? Then you will make do staying anywhere in East West line (green), North South line (red) or North East line (purple), you can check it in Google map. And North Bridge Road is very accessible by direct buses if you stay between Clementi to Bukit Merah. I'm not familiar with east side of Singapore so I won't be able to comment on the bus routes from that side.

Hence you can check the property rental section here for rough idea of the rental rates (which can vary greatly so I can't advise further). I'd agree with SMS's advice for you to consider sharing HDB (and you taking the master bedroom). That would save thousands of dollars.

Assume you will spend SGD4 both ways entirely by MRT and bus in combination for work in a day. Then throw in occasional taxi rides probably about SGD100 (maybe for those odd grocery shopping trips) in total in a month, since you mentioned you don't go out drinking. And do your math. That's for your transportation alone.

Food-wise, for a single person, I would spend around SGD300 (considering SGD10 per day x 30 days) eating out cheaply and occasional cooking. Multiply that figure by two for your wife and you will get the estimate. Still that entirely depends on your diet and preference.

ganeshiyerv

Additional Resources

Post by ganeshiyerv » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 3:32 pm

Hey thanks for your response! Point accepted.

Random google brought the below 2 links which can be used by future researchers.

Inflation rate:
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/inflati ... by-country

Cost of living for married couple in Singapore, 2010:
http://www.icare2share.com/2010/06/cost ... 0-for.html

miramiegee

Post by miramiegee » Sun, 18 Mar 2012 1:57 pm

Hi, I am a Malaysian and will relocate to Singapore next month.

I recently got an offer from a 5 star international hotel as Assistant Sales Manager, basic salary is SGD 2700 per month.

I have 2.5 years experience in Malaysia under the same hotel chain.

Not sure if the salary is decent, though I have already signed the offer letter last week and my EP approved last Fri (a little bit weird as I thought the EP is for SGD 3000 and above)

The good thing is I do not have any commitment here is Malaysia except to pay my mom some pocket money every month :) , yet the housing is pretty expensive but I suppose is sufficient to maintain a reasonable standard of living with my salary?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Mar 2012 3:44 pm

Yes, it is weird and it is 3K/mo for Q pass. Let us know after you arrive if the facts remain the same and the Q pass is issued. It would be interesting to see the paperwork submitted by the employer to MOM, e.g., the salary they are actually reporting to MOM as your salary, especially in light of the fact that they are a 5 star hotel chain.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

miramiegee

Post by miramiegee » Tue, 20 Mar 2012 8:54 pm

I received the In-Principle Approval letter this evening, not sure if it could serve as an official notification that my Q1 pass has approved IF I pass my medical examination.

I read my employer has stated my basic & fixed salary will be SGD 2700 in the document too, so perhaps a sales person doesn't fall under the category of 'skilled worker', therefore MOM granted a Q1 pass instead of S Pass?

Initially the HR submitted both S Pass and EP for me (in the form there is a selection for both or either one). Difference for her will be if MOM approved my EP application, it will not falls under the quota system.

Anyway, cross my fingers and toes that I will not face any problem upon collection next month?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Mar 2012 9:17 pm

As noted, interesting to see how it pans out. Was it possible that you application was originally submitted before 1 January when the new minimum salaries went into effect? Otherwise, I'm puzzled as MOM doesn't make any differentiation on industries for EP's, salary & qualifications are the same across all industries. Or at least they are supposed to be and the MOM site doesn't indicate otherwise. I'd still like to see what is one the application blank for your stated salary.

Something just occurred to me....

Are you getting a housing allowance as well?

miramiegee

Post by miramiegee » Tue, 20 Mar 2012 9:35 pm

I accepted the offer on 12 Mar, and the submission date was dated on 13 Mar, it approved on 16 Mar as stated in MOM website. The In-Principle Approval letter has stated my position and salary below, the only place they leave it blank is the residential address in Singapore.

Unfortunately Malaysian doesn't count as expat here so my employer did not provide me any housing allowance, therefore I am asking if SGD 2,700 should be sufficient to maintain a reasonable standard of living right?

I have browse through many websites including MOM's numerous time to read about the EP, requirement are all same. I called the HR earlier to clarify, she mentioned to me as long as MOM approved my application, there will not be any problem as long as I pass my medical check-up.

Erm... now I scared scared leh. I better visit MOM office the first thing when I touch down Singapore to clarify this!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 20 Mar 2012 9:48 pm

I wouldn't worry about MOM. If you have your IPA, you're fine.

I'd worry about your salary though. Do you have arrangements for housing such as family or friends to stay with? Or are you actually commuting from JB? If not, you'll need roommates. You will have a hard time affording your own rental on that salary.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:44 pm

My worries are for the OP as even if it is granted at 2.7 the odds are that OP better hope for more than a 15% increment before the pass is up for renewal.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 1:33 pm

Thought this might be of interest to those looking for comparative pay information between countries:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356

It features a calculator that lets you enter a country and a monthly pre-tax wage amount in local currency, which it then calibrates against the average salary in the country (and against the world average). According to this page, the average salary in Singapore, measured in 'purchasing power parity (PPP) dollars', is US$2616. PPP is defined as follows: 'One PPP dollar is equal to 1 US dollar spent in the US'.
Be careful what you wish for

ganeshiyerv

Post by ganeshiyerv » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 2:24 pm

you can also check this out and draw conclusions:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci ... =Singapore

a_Biker

Post by a_Biker » Thu, 12 Apr 2012 3:56 am

Hello Guys,

I am from India..

I have been offered a salary of 4000$ a month, I have done masters from London...with 2 years of IT Experience.

Is This salary Good to survive in Singapore ? As Of now I am single ....But planning to get married soon in October :)

My To be Wife Is having 5 Years of IT experience in Mainframe Technology....Do you have any idea of how the mainframe market is there in Singapore ??? And what are the chances of she getting job....:(

Because I think If she gets a good job....Will help us stay and save till some extent !!!

Your Inputs will help Us take a decision...

Awaiting your reply Guys !! :D