Singapore Expats

EP and Degree Requirement???

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
beppi
Manager
Manager

EP and Degree Requirement???

Post by beppi » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:18 am

Is the degree requirement for EP and associated list of approved academic institutions obsolete?!?

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... tions.aspx

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:28 am

At least one forum poster got P1 EP last year without a uni degree.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 6:48 am

The degree listing is incomplete and the P1 EP is not dependent on academic qualifications.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 8:33 am

Don't need a degree for P1 or PEP if you have phat skillz! :P
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 8:38 am

I just looked through the link. Looks like you've gotta be fantastic as a student to be able to command for salary of $3000 and above after graduation.

:-|

An almost-impossible situation.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 9:15 am

Ain't that the truth!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

elspike

Post by elspike » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:30 am

I just received P1 without any University. Just a lot of technical certifications and salary above the minimum requirements. I didn't even mention high school in the application, just my two most recent certifications.

Large MNC sponsoring. Application through a 3rd party relocation company, who did the submission on my behalf. I just filled out some forms online.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 1:24 pm

That's because the P1 is not academic qualification oriented. They figure if a company is willing to pay somebody more than 8K a month, then they must have substantial experience in lieu of education so that is why the P1 was created.

elspike

Post by elspike » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 5:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That's because the P1 is not academic qualification oriented. They figure if a company is willing to pay somebody more than 8K a month, then they must have substantial experience in lieu of education so that is why the P1 was created.
That is great information and explains the relative ease of the application process. I didn't realise that it was created for that reason. Thanks for giving some background.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:19 pm

elspike wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:That's because the P1 is not academic qualification oriented. They figure if a company is willing to pay somebody more than 8K a month, then they must have substantial experience in lieu of education so that is why the P1 was created.
That is great information and explains the relative ease of the application process. I didn't realise that it was created for that reason. Thanks for giving some background.
In ~6 months, go apply for your PEP. Your profile sounds quite similar to mine, and mine was approved in less than two weeks after 6 months of P1.

I also suspect being employed (and thus your EP applied for) by large MNCs and not small SMEs helps the process along also.