Singapore Expats

Full time, live out maids

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
marco2002

Post by marco2002 » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 7:02 pm

Maybe an example will better explain what i mean:

Lets say a quality, English speaking nanny is in singapore on a working permit. If she wants to stay in Singapore, living out, she needs to find a way to legally stay here and work.

Would it be possible for Nanny to arrange to be employed by an agency but pay her own levy, insurance and find her own part-time employers?

In other words, i could hire her as a part-time maid, without the hassle of her living in, illegal etc.

Thanks,
marco

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 8:07 pm

No. Unless she already had Permanent Residency by virtue of being the spouse of a local or another PR. She will NOT get a work permit to engage herself in the occupation of a nanny unless she is from one of Singapore's traditional source countries. If that is the case, then they will be Asian and not "native" English speakers.

Additionally, if she were already here on a "working permit" she would be forbidden to engage in any other job as the working permit is only for a single employer at a time and cannot be transferred to another. It is sponsored by the employer. Once the employee leaves the working permit is canceled. You cannot get a work permit for part time work, full stop.

Even if you did find a local chinese auntie who would do it, as noted above, the odds of her speaking any level of comprehensive English would be like winning the lottery. Legally, you don't have much choice. I wouldn't recommend any illegal means as you could find yourself in as much hot water as the maid for hiring illegal workers. (A jail-able offense here).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 8:19 pm

marco2002 wrote:Maybe an example will better explain what i mean:

Lets say a quality, English speaking nanny is in singapore on a working permit. If she wants to stay in Singapore, living out, she needs to find a way to legally stay here and work.

Would it be possible for Nanny to arrange to be employed by an agency but pay her own levy, insurance and find her own part-time employers?
No. This is only for Singaporeans or PRs as you earlier noticed but yes, there are people who abuse the system so some agencies or other companies even advertise availabilities of for example British nannies. The lady we hired is Singaporean but she works like a full time one all together for 2 different employers. In a sense she is a living out nanny (we don't want her to do the cleaning stuff).

LOID'Z

Re: Full time, live out maids

Post by LOID'Z » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 2:20 pm

[quote="movingtospore"]I've seen a bunch of posts on here about looking for p-t helpers. But has anyone had any luck hiring someone full-time, but live out? I'm a bit fed up with a live in situation, but would like to have someone come in every day if possible, 12-8 pm, and then on Saturday, as both my husband and I work f/t. Just wondering, didn't seem like too many people had much success with this route.[/quote.....

hi i am interested..call me 96xxxx24
[-X , no advertising.

Besides, who would like to hire someone who does not want or can not follow some simple rules?

LOID'Z

Post by LOID'Z » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 2:51 pm

LOID'Z wrote:
movingtospore wrote:I've seen a bunch of posts on here about looking for p-t helpers. But has anyone had any luck hiring someone full-time, but live out? I'm a bit fed up with a live in situation, but would like to have someone come in every day if possible, 12-8 pm, and then on Saturday, as both my husband and I work f/t. Just wondering, didn't seem like too many people had much success with this route.[/quote...

sorry its my first here

Moderator[/color]
Last edited by LOID'Z on Thu, 22 Mar 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 3:01 pm

Use classifieds for advertising.
http://classifieds.singaporeexpats.com/

LOID'Z

Post by LOID'Z » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 3:32 pm

marco2002 wrote:Hi

We are an expat family looking for a nanny, live out and are new to hiring nanny, so could use some advice.

So we are looking for a nanny, who is willing to do both babysitting and light housework. 4-6 hours a day/5 days per week. Live out, meaning have own accommodation.

After reading online, it seems that only Singaporean/PR can do that. What about nannies employed by agencies, but they arrange this by themselves (ie pay their own levy etc) is this an option? We would like just one nanny, and not many different nannies.

So any info or advice on the following questions would be much appreciated:
- Are there nannies that can do (legally) live out?
- If so, how do they manage, names of agencies?
- What would be price by per month?
- Can you recommend any nanny or agency?

Thanks,
Marco

im interested but how im going to communicate with u,its my first time here! in other words i am looking employer,i will be available anytime next month..stay in or stay out..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 3:39 pm

And now you got your account locked.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 3:48 pm

There's one of those types that can't follow simple directions. Send her back to maid school - surely fail, that one.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Krisa

Post by Krisa » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 4:47 pm

Hi Marco,

We have a wonderful live out helper that we are looking for a new family to take on. She has 20 years experience in working for expat families and is amazing with small children and babies. She works for us 5 days a week from 8-6pm. I had been looking for a helper to work fewer hours, but that is next to impossible to find, because it would mean that they have to take on an additional afternoon job which is illegal once you have signed for them and paid their levy. Taking on a full time 8-6 as apposed to getting a part time helper that we would pay by the hour actually worked out to be less expensive.

Regarding legal issues, our helper is originally from the Philippines but has has been living out and working legally in Singapore for many many years (possibly before the government made it illegal to do so). She works through an agency.

To answer your question regarding cost for a live out, the breakdown is as follows.

Monthly salary: $500+ (we pay ours $600 due to her experience)
Monthly government fee: $265
Monthly rent: $500 (this is the additional cost you pay for a live out. We see it as paying for our privacy)

Hiring a helper, live in or out also requires a one time registration fee with the MOM and yearly medical insurance (which is not a lot).
{sanitized by moderator}

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 5:04 pm

Krisa wrote:..
Regarding legal issues, our helper is originally from the Philippines but has has been living out and working legally in Singapore for many many years (possibly before the government made it illegal to do so). She works through an agency.
If she is on PR or is a citizen, it is LEGAL to live out.

If the WP shows some Mr x, y or z as employer, but working in your house, it is ILLEGAL - 100%

And if you are aware of her WP being under somebody else, you are committing a serious crime

Years ago MOM went around warning such employers who engage such freelancers, and deporting such illegal maids. And they did discover a lot of such freelance maids moonlighting in bars and all, to close the financial gaps (as they tend to pay some massive amount to the illegal sponsors too .. )

Well, I been here for more than 10 years, and ever since I arrived here I was told that the said law had been in place, and just having been here for donkey years and illegally working doesn't make it legal. And there are freelancers ...

Have you seen her work permit ? Who is stated as the employer again ?

PS: re: your statement ..

Hiring a helper, live in or out also requires a one time registration fee with the MOM and yearly medical insurance (which is not a lot).

Since LIVE OUT IS NOT LEGAL, above is NOT PROPER ADVISE TOO ..

marco2002

Post by marco2002 » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 5:01 pm

Please use classified for advertisements

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Thu, 12 Apr 2012 8:16 pm

x9200 wrote:And now you got your account locked.

You would think she would have at least seen this post was months out of date... :?

andysax2003

Post by andysax2003 » Fri, 08 Jun 2012 12:24 pm

movingtospore wrote:I'd rather hire one legit, that's for sure. $2000+ mo is a lot tho! But then again, we spend about $1000/mo now on salary + that stupid levy, have a given up a room we could really use, paid extra for insurance, health care costs, courses...not to mention the never ending requests for extra time off, money in advance, boyfriend issues, on and on.

At the end of the day maybe it isn't really that much more if you find someone good. And fewer headaches.
Well unless you have a really legit reason to, you probably might be over-paying and over-pampering your helper (IMHO).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 15 May 2017 4:33 pm

bernie21 wrote:Hi,, please contact me ..
Are you a live out nanny ??