Singapore Expats

Keeping both Australian and Singaporean (dual) citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
cavalier
Regular
Regular

Post by cavalier » Wed, 05 May 2010 4:00 pm

It's easy enough to say "in most situations," and then there is no need to go into details.

Anyways, I'm not trying to start an argument just wanted to point out that your statement is not true all the time.

john_nyc_71

Post by john_nyc_71 » Sat, 08 May 2010 10:57 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Splatted wrote:
john_nyc_71 wrote:If the Singapore government is aware that you have Australian citizenship (and I assume they do), then you have to renounce one, unless the law or the current practice is changed.

As far as I know, there is no law that says you cannot have dual nationality or hold two passports. All the law says is that if you have another nationality or passport, then this gives the Singapore government the right to revoke your Singapore citizenship.
I have a friend in this situation. His wife is a Singapore Citizen by birth, and they both received their Australian citizenships.

I don't recall his story how Sg government actually found out, but they did receive a letter asking his wife to renounce her Singapore citizenship. There was also an additional request (and you'll excuse me if I don't remember), but it essentially involved them spending money first in order to renounce her Singapore citizenship.

The wife wrote back and said something along the lines of "But I don't want to renounce my Singapore citizenship... so how?"

After that.. no reply any more. They figured the sg government put them in the too hard basket, because they have been to Singapore and back numerous times since. Noone stopped them, arrested them, fined them or confiscated passports.... yet.....

But I prefer not to assume anything in these sorts of things. Usually people are in for a nasty surprise if they expect things to turn out a certain way.
Splatted

This was taken out from Attorney General of SG. I think is best to stick to this rather than hearsay as we might leading others to believe it is possible. It is not and never has. Not that I do not believe you but there is no substantial fact to say otherwise.

This was taken out from the Constitution Amendment after chap 133. Please read

* Singapore does not allow its citizen to hold dual nationality. Under the Articles 134 and 135 of the Singapore Constitution, a Singapore citizen may be deprived of his citizenship if he is 18 years old or above and has:

a) voluntarily acquired foreign citizenship, or having acquired such citizenship before the age of 18 years, continues to retain it;

b) voluntarily exercised any of the rights of the citizens of nationals of a foreign country, such as voting in that country’s elections; or

c) applied for the issue or renewal of a foreign passport or used a foreign passport as a travel document.
:)
I've always been bewildered by what this law does and does not say. For example, it does not say that having another citizenship or passport is an offence. It does not say that if you acquire another citizenship, you lose the SG citizenship automatically. In fact, it implies that the government has to explicitly take away your SG citizenship, and even then they can choose not to ("may be deprived" not "will be deprived" or "must be deprived").

Lying on a SG passport renewal about other citizenships, however is clearly an offence. Although I wonder what it means for people who are citizens of SG and another country at birth, since the passport form asks whether you have "acquired" another citizenship, not whether you "have" another citizenship.

As a side note: there are many countries (eg UK) that allow citizens to take up citizenship again after renouncing it.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 08 May 2010 10:59 am

It's starting to sound like a broken record here. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 08 May 2010 4:56 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

geerang
Regular
Regular

Re: Keeping both Australian and Singaporean (dual) citizensh

Post by geerang » Thu, 13 May 2010 5:41 pm

orangepi wrote:Hi,

I am currently a holder of both Australian and Singaporean citizenship. I was born and bred in Australia. I am an Australian citizen by 'birth' and a Singaporean citizen by 'decent' meaning that my parents were Singaporean citizens at the time of my birth.

I have to renounce my citizenship this year when I turn 22. Is there a way I will be able to remain a dual citizen? I am reluctant to give up my Singaporean citizenship as I plan to work in Singapore after I complete my university studies. I am aware that Singapore allows dual citizenship under certain circumstances. Does anyone know what these circumstances are? Will educational background be one?

How else can I retain dual citizenship? I am willing to hear any 'under the table' ways of keeping both.

Cheers
Read the Singapore constitution. They can revoke your Sg citizenship if they know you have another citizenship. Whether they actually do it or not is another matter.

Just be honest and tell them. They might not even revoke your citizenship. If they do, you would have to choose between Aus and Singapore, as simple as that.

Having dual citizenship is not a crime in Singapore. But the government can revoke your Singapore citizenship under the constitution of Singapore, that is all.
Sgporean in France for one year master degree. Back to Spore by 2011!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Keeping both Australian and Singaporean (dual) citizensh

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 14 May 2010 7:46 am

Deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

waz
Regular
Regular

Post by waz » Sun, 16 May 2010 4:33 pm

Guys.

This forum is where we discuss many stuff, especially about the rules etc about citizenship, NS among the hot topics. I myself gained lots of info and guide from many sifus over here. Thanks to that, especially to SMS and MS.

But from my reading of of some of the threads, it is getting a bit heated up.

Cool down guys.
I work to live and not live to work.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 May 2010 4:48 pm

Waz, if you've been reading you will know that geerang is/was a troll. He has been deleted 2x now. Between geerang and another gentleman in NY who keeps coming back to the same piece of misunderstood language in the constitution, they are starting to sound like a broken records. MS & I do a lot of research and we try to answer everybody who has a question with a reasonable answer, but sometimes there are some who keep clutching at straws. If they insist on questioning the "intent" of the law, they just become tiresome as we do not know the original "intent". But we do know how it's being applied currentlyl and that's all that should matter. Same thing with MOM and ICA on PR and EP's currently.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

orangepi

Post by orangepi » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 7:47 pm

I am following up my previous post from march 2010 in regard to dual nationality.

I have just received a letter from the ICA informing me that I have failed to take the 'oath of renunciation, allegiance and loyalty' by the due date and therefore I have ceased to be a citizen of Singapore as of that date. It also states that I have failed to regularise my stay within 24 hours after the cessation of my Singapore citizenship and therefore I have committed an offence under the Immigration Act. I was not in Singapore during this time. I live in Australia and I am an Australian citizen.

They have also asked me to surrender my Singapore passport and identity card to the ICA.

Can anyone tell me what that exactly means? What offense have I committed? Will this effect my travel to Singapore? Will I be stopped at the checkpoint and charged for not meeting their requirements even if i enter Singapore with my Australian passport? I am concerned as I gather from the tone of the letter....they mean business.

Regards,
Orangepi

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:38 pm

Have you responded with a letter to them indicating that you were out of the country and were not in Singapore when this took place? If not, why are you posting here? ICA is where you need to inform them. After that, if they are still saying so, then would be the time to check with others.

However, in answer to your question, without knowing what their reply is, we cannot begin to guess.

sms

bluemonkey07

Post by bluemonkey07 » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:34 am

Orangepi,

If you are still on this forum, can you please pm me on what happened, and how you responded as i might be in the same situation.

Rgds,
Bluemonkey07

orangepi wrote:I am following up my previous post from march 2010 in regard to dual nationality.

I have just received a letter from the ICA informing me that I have failed to take the 'oath of renunciation, allegiance and loyalty' by the due date and therefore I have ceased to be a citizen of Singapore as of that date. It also states that I have failed to regularise my stay within 24 hours after the cessation of my Singapore citizenship and therefore I have committed an offence under the Immigration Act. I was not in Singapore during this time. I live in Australia and I am an Australian citizen.

They have also asked me to surrender my Singapore passport and identity card to the ICA.

Can anyone tell me what that exactly means? What offense have I committed? Will this effect my travel to Singapore? Will I be stopped at the checkpoint and charged for not meeting their requirements even if i enter Singapore with my Australian passport? I am concerned as I gather from the tone of the letter....they mean business.

Regards,
Orangepi

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Wed, 11 May 2011 5:50 pm

Tau Beta wrote: I still wonder if Aussie are required to leave and enter Australia using only Aussie passport.
Yes they are http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/travel/

atropine

in the same boat

Post by atropine » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 3:24 pm

hi there,
i'm a sg citizen and recently became an australian citizen. i have recently moved to sg temporarily for work. i do not want to get into trouble for breaching laws. i have no qualms about giving up my sg citizenship if i have to but i understand i will have to apply for an employment pass. so much red tape and i want to be careful about this all.
could anyone advise me on where i could go for advice on getting the right passes/permits in place? my singapore passport expires in a few months. so i guess i need to get a resolution soon.

nakatago

Re: in the same boat

Post by nakatago » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 3:48 pm

atropine wrote:hi there,
i'm a sg citizen and recently became an australian citizen. i have recently moved to sg temporarily for work. i do not want to get into trouble for breaching laws. i have no qualms about giving up my sg citizenship if i have to but i understand i will have to apply for an employment pass. so much red tape and i want to be careful about this all.
could anyone advise me on where i could go for advice on getting the right passes/permits in place? my singapore passport expires in a few months. so i guess i need to get a resolution soon.
Ask your employer to apply for the pass. if you'll check MOM, employers apply for them for their would-be employees.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 4:10 pm

Couple of quick questions.....

Are you a male?

If not, That all I need to know. You just need to renounce.

If you are.....

Have you done your NS?

If yes, no problems. You just need to renounce (of course if you are over 22, you might has some problems as you cannot hold two passports and your Singapore Passport hold precedence over your Naturalized Australian one so you could be in some trouble.

If no, did you follow all the proper protocols to be deferred from NS pending renunciation of your Singapore Citizenship? If so, you should have renounced before the age of 22. Again, if you haven't, don't know the ramifications.

If you enter Singapore using your Australian passport and it is found out you are an Singapore citizen, you could also be in even more trouble and the Australian Embassy cannot do anything as you are a citizen by birth of Singapore.

So, the only thing you need to concern yourself with is getting rid of your Singapore citizenship as soon as possible before you get found out during application for an employment pass.