Singapore Expats

1 year in Singapore....hopefully

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
WP5656

1 year in Singapore....hopefully

Post by WP5656 » Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:35 pm

Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't seem to find.

My girlfriend is moving to Singapore for 1 year for work. My job in the US allows me to work remotely and I'd like to join her. We're not technically domestic partners and I don't have any plans to work for a company based in Singapore.

What are my options? Staying for 90 days and trying to re-enter every few months as a visitor? Any sort of extended short-term visas?

Thanks for any help.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: 1 year in Singapore....hopefully

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 6:38 am

WP5656 wrote:S
What are my options? Staying for 90 days and trying to re-enter every few months as a visitor? Any sort of extended short-term visas?

Thanks for any help.
Yes, basically. The 90 days you get as an American is already the extended version :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 1 year in Singapore....hopefully

Post by JR8 » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 6:44 am

zzm9980 wrote:
WP5656 wrote:S

Thanks for any help.
Yes, basically. The 90 days you get as an American is already the extended version :)
But you can't back-to-back the holiday visa in order to live in SG.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 6:46 am

Yeah, I think someone else said six months between three month visits to not invite further scrutiny from ICA. I'd suspect as an westerner you might be able to squeeze three in within a year... But it's all at your own risk, and there is no official guidance on this.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 6:59 am

zzm9980 wrote:Yeah, I think someone else said six months between three month visits to not invite further scrutiny from ICA.

But that would give you up to 6 months pa, not exactly a holiday...

I'd suspect as an westerner you might be able to squeeze three in within a year...

Up to 9 months!? Nah.... don't see it myself. Even starting with a completely clean immigration sheet and doing all the exits/trips/rentries right I reckon you'd be hard pressed to get over 120 days SVP a year even if they liked the look of you and your passport. But I suppose no one ought to be trying to do this anyway...

But it's all at your own risk, and there is no official guidance on this.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 9:22 am

zzm9980 wrote:Yeah, I think someone else said six months between three month visits to not invite further scrutiny from ICA. I'd suspect as an westerner you might be able to squeeze three in within a year... But it's all at your own risk, and there is no official guidance on this.
I am the person and it is in the ICA guideline book. You have to return back to your country of origin. 6 months after 90 days
OR you are travelling around this region and using SG as a stopover. The proof will be in your itinenary
Another way is to apply for business visa pass. Not sure on the procedure though
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

WP5656

Post by WP5656 » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:37 am

Thanks so much for your insights. Greatly appreciated.