Singapore Expats

Who makes the best Tailored Suits in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 08 Jan 2012 9:52 pm

Sad to hear it SMS :( Hope you will manage to get the tickets. Take care of yourself and your family.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Sun, 08 Jan 2012 10:43 pm

My condolences to you and your family. Please take care and have a safe journey.

peterch

Post by peterch » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 5:00 pm

JR8 wrote:His ISP is feeding banner/sidebar ads for 'lonely hearts', and he he thinks they're a part of this discussion topic.

p.s. Edit to add. When I use my UK proxy ip I get pop-over banner ads, because it is free and they have to fund themselves. Otherwise in normal use I get no ads... well, apart from spammers!

!! understood. thanks for the helpful advise.

peterch

Post by peterch » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 5:09 pm

so ...
1. my sincere condolences to sms
2. thks to x9200 for clarifying that i am not from china
3. thks to JR8 regarding the adds.

4. now, i still didn't read what i was seeking, which was some guidance or experiences regarding tailor made (bespoke) suits and shirts in singapore.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 5:35 pm

peterch wrote: 4. now, i still didn't read what i was seeking, which was some guidance or experiences regarding tailor made (bespoke) suits and shirts in singapore.
It has been discussed before, so you can use the search function (the one with the button under the Profile button at the top right), and read away to your hearts content.

The teething-difficulties with this topic were that bespoke suits is a subject that probably attracts more spammers than most others (i.e. the subject is a 'spam-magnet'). Couple that together with the fact that most people relocating to SG in a weeks time don't write their first post asking where to have suits made, they usually start by asking about where to live, and what to bring, that kind of thing. Then your wife asking a near duplicate question to your own inadvertently set off just about every alarm-bell going! No hard feelings :) :wink:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 6:34 pm

So yes, please use the search function and secondly I would suggest be a bit more precise - - "the best" is pretty meaningless.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 8:29 pm

peterch wrote:so ...
1. my sincere condolences to sms
2. thks to x9200 for clarifying that i am not from china
3. thks to JR8 regarding the adds.

4. now, i still didn't read what i was seeking, which was some guidance or experiences regarding tailor made (bespoke) suits and shirts in singapore.
There are many, many tailors in Singapore. I have used four. Of the four, I would recommend an outfit called Christian Armani in the Far East shopping center on Scott. Excellent tailoring and you have a thousand options for shirts and twice that many for pants.

As you probably know, two key elements are proper cut of the fabric and the stitching. C A did a great job on both. Expect to pay about $100 up for a shirt using teflon cotton, less for a standard cotton fabric.

logo1234

Post by logo1234 » Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:57 pm

Thank Strong Eagle. Sounds like a good recco. I have been looking for a good tailor for sometime and this sounds like a good lead.

I was looking at shirt prices and Banana Republic and Brook Brothers retail for SGD 130-175. So a tailored and fitted shirt for SGD 100 sounds like a good deal.

Cheers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 8:29 am

SMS, sorry to hear your news; my condolences.

+1 for Christian Armani, as mentioned by SE above. Despite the somewhat 'dodgy' sounding name, I've found them to be very reliable with a good quality / price offering over the years.
Be careful what you wish for

madaboutplastic
Regular
Regular

Post by madaboutplastic » Tue, 06 Mar 2012 11:15 pm

i know of a pretty good one near cityhall area.
duno if should put pm or adv here?

charges around $75 for a tailored shirt. pants and suit cant remember.

however, sgd dont have pple with fantastic workmanship anymore. even cyc has gone down abit.

2 things though.
tailor nowadays will crap that pants do not have double pleats anymore claiming its not fashionable. this is not true. double pleats simply takes up more time n skills.

tailor also will crap breast pocket for shirts are not fashionable anymore. this is also not true. men need breast pockets to throw bar receipts, sweet wrappers and whats not in it.

so, insist on what u realllllly want rather than their bull.

how me knows? cos mi aunt sews for politicians.

Jack-Daniels

Post by Jack-Daniels » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 8:32 am

I had to register just to warn you off wasting your money here... Sorry but Christian Armani DO NOT make good suits. I had a couple of suits made there on a recommendation of a friend and they were I'll fitting, badly constructed and fell apart after 3 months. They were also vastly overpriced. I picked what they were marketing as Zegna fabric, though I am very dubious that it was.

The simple fact is that they are not very good tailors at all. What I failed to appreciate at the time was that my friend didn't know much about what a good suit should be!

In my experience Singapore is a dead zone for good tailors, it's probably the heat - how often do you see people out in suits and ties here anyway?

I would stick to getting your suits made in Hong Kong from a reputed tailor there or better yet get them made in Europe. There is no substitute for quality when it comes to a well constructed suit.

I use Tai Pan Row in Hong Kong - they are in IFC mall and also Galleria. A decent suit will set you back US$1,800 and they go up to about US$3,000.

If you want a very high end tailor you could also look at Kiton in IFC mall, they make beautiful suits, though it will cost you US$7,000+.

For that price you are better buying a Zegna suit off the peg and having a tailor adjust it for you.

- the guy wanted to know about 'the best' suits after all, so this is my 2 cents.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:19 am

madaboutplastic wrote:i know of a pretty good one near cityhall area.
duno if should put pm or adv here?

charges around $75 for a tailored shirt. pants and suit cant remember.

however, sgd dont have pple with fantastic workmanship anymore. even cyc has gone down abit.

2 things though.
tailor nowadays will crap that pants do not have double pleats anymore claiming its not fashionable. this is not true. double pleats simply takes up more time n skills.

tailor also will crap breast pocket for shirts are not fashionable anymore. this is also not true. men need breast pockets to throw bar receipts, sweet wrappers and whats not in it.

so, insist on what u realllllly want rather than their bull.

how me knows? cos mi aunt sews for politicians.
I'll bet her shop is near city hall area innit?.....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:25 am

While Jack-Daniels' post sure reads like sour grapes or shilling for HK tailors, the back end shows that our new friend is probably well positioned to make a judgement call regarding tailors in both countries.

But, like any shop, your individual mileage may vary. This is his experience only.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 4:43 pm

Your mileage may vary indeed, but it's also worth noting that Jack-Daniels is talking about suits in the multi-thousand dollar range. It is surprising to hear that he had two suits made at Christian Armani and both of them 'fell apart after 3 months' - I'd definitely be back in there demanding a refund if that happened to me. And from my experience as a repeat customer I'd expect to get one too. All the items I've bought there over the years (suits, shirts, trousers, etc.) while not in the same price band as Jack-Daniels mentions, have always been of good quality and have lasted well.

To be clear, I have no connection to this company, other than being a satisfied customer.
Be careful what you wish for

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 5:28 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:Your mileage may vary indeed, but it's also worth noting that Jack-Daniels is talking about suits in the multi-thousand dollar range. It is surprising to hear that he had two suits made at Christian Armani and both of them 'fell apart after 3 months' - I'd definitely be back in there demanding a refund if that happened to me. And from my experience as a repeat customer I'd expect to get one too. All the items I've bought there over the years (suits, shirts, trousers, etc.) while not in the same price band as Jack-Daniels mentions, have always been of good quality and have lasted well.

To be clear, I have no connection to this company, other than being a satisfied customer.
Same, same. Jack Daniel's experience is not mine at all.