Singapore Expats

Scoot - SIA new budget airlines :)

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
windupbird

Post by windupbird » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:23 pm

Glad to be of help, Renaslw :D

Yes after much deliberation, I signed on. As what some of the people have mentioned here, how often does one get the chance to be part of the cabin crew experience? I'm still young, I want to see for myself once and for all, what's it like to be a cabin crew and whether I'll enjoy it and hopefully, increase my confidence in meeting people of all nature, yes even the mean ones! What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

So if you want this, go with your heart and soul. Remember, this is not a death sentence. If you don't enjoy it, you can always go and pursue other things. Life is unpredictable, scary, at times unbearable, but as long as we keep a positive outlook, anything is possible :)

Haha, pardon me for the rambling.

Renaslw

Post by Renaslw » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:34 pm

I totally agree with you! I don't know if I can still consider myself young but I think I will still go for it if I passed the medical checkup. I'm just being contradicting with the monetary VS dreams thought -> driving me nuts!
windupbird wrote:Glad to be of help, Renaslw :D

Yes after much deliberation, I signed on. As what some of the people have mentioned here, how often does one get the chance to be part of the cabin crew experience? I'm still young, I want to see for myself once and for all, what's it like to be a cabin crew and whether I'll enjoy it and hopefully, increase my confidence in meeting people of all nature, yes even the mean ones! What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

So if you want this, go with your heart and soul. Remember, this is not a death sentence. If you don't enjoy it, you can always go and pursue other things. Life is unpredictable, scary, at times unbearable, but as long as we keep a positive outlook, anything is possible :)

redroseycheeks

Post by redroseycheeks » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:57 pm

Actually to be really frank, being paid 2.2-2.4k is quite a lot. Considering, FAs don't work everyday and there are layovers. So theoretically, a FA works approx half a month.

I guess, most of us want to pursue our dreams yet be remunerated highly at the end of the day.

I THINK, starting out will be low salary for us but subsequently, the money will come in and being the pioneer batch means, higher and quicker chances for promotion = more money in due time to come.

Its not as if it's miserably paid besides its part of SQ, should have some standard and control. I can safely conclude, scoot pays more than other friendly competitors...

Just a thought.

redroseycheeks

Post by redroseycheeks » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 3:05 pm

Hello letsflysoon,
Did they say/hint there's even a slight chance of hitting 3k per month in future or??!!
Any rough estimation for allowances given?

Opps. Pardon me if I'm asking too much!
It's just the remuneration part is making me confused and contemplative about the job. Really hate the 20% CPF deduction thing. I think it's 17.7% to be exact... Might be wrong unless they increase it..

letsflysoon

Post by letsflysoon » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 3:40 pm

redroseycheeks wrote:Hello letsflysoon,
Did they say/hint there's even a slight chance of hitting 3k per month in future or??!!
Any rough estimation for allowances given?

Opps. Pardon me if I'm asking too much!
It's just the remuneration part is making me confused and contemplative about the job. Really hate the 20% CPF deduction thing. I think it's 17.7% to be exact... Might be wrong unless they increase it..
i personally do feel that the chances of hitting 3k/pm for FA is hard with them, they didnt mention/hint there is a chances as well. they played it safe by saying do not want to give us false hope, so they always choose to pick the worse case scenario.

for allowances, they are paying slightly lower compare to the guideline, thats all i know.

redroseycheeks

Post by redroseycheeks » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 4:28 pm

Hey letsflysoon,
In my opinion, it's good they aren't painting us a rosy picture cos if they under deliver, FAs will be unhappy. Best to give us a worse case scenario.

However, I still feel there might be a slight chance as scoot is new and they will have more flights in and out of SG. More flights means more flying and better rooster for senior girls = more flying hours = more allowances = more commission = more money and thus, basically everything is more. I like to think the company is new thus the structure is pretty fixed, still undeveloped, lesser rules (can tolerate mistakes but not too severe ones) and not too much edgy-ness. Also FAs will have room for promotions and improvements. Compared to joining other established airlines; having said that, you gotta put up with seniority and politics etc. Will be quite a struggle. But we won't know how it will be until we step in. I hope for a good working environment with happy, fair and approachable superiors. Pay wise even if it doesn't equivalents to what I expect, it's still worth it.

Just rambling. Please take my words with a pinch of salt..
Last edited by redroseycheeks on Thu, 08 Mar 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redroseycheeks

Post by redroseycheeks » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 4:45 pm

Hi to those who attended the briefing:
Is there any standard grooming scoot FAs need to follow? Such as nail polish, wearing skin/nude coloured stockings, bun up hair etc?

Does the airline provide shoes as well? Are they flats or heels?

lesliepolly

Post by lesliepolly » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 6:23 pm

Hey anybody got the email yet? They told me they will send me an email today but not sure what time.. Wondering if it's after office hours again?

redroseycheeks

Post by redroseycheeks » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 6:29 pm

lesliepolly wrote:Hey anybody got the email yet? They told me they will send me an email today but not sure what time.. Wondering if it's after office hours again?
Nope. Received nothing. Noticed they do emails and calls at nights.

windupbird

Post by windupbird » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 6:44 pm

Renaslw: I agree, the salary issue kept me contemplating for hours too! Aside from that, I was so excited and couldn't believe it when they told me I got in. Totally get your 'contradicting' thoughts. Haha.

redroseycheeks: Yep! We'll never know unless we take a risk. About grooming, the HR guy said that it's under the lady who will be training us - so further info will have to come from her when we're training. As you know, guys aren't interested in such stuff like us girls :wink: All I know is, we're allowed to carry our own handbags instead of being provided for by the company.

Renaslw

Post by Renaslw » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 7:43 pm

Whose contract briefing is at 8am on sat?

Renaslw

Post by Renaslw » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 7:45 pm

I just received the email. Have you or anyone did?
lesliepolly wrote:Hey anybody got the email yet? They told me they will send me an email today but not sure what time.. Wondering if it's after office hours again?
:mad:

redroseycheeks

Post by redroseycheeks » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 8:06 pm

Hey!
Are we required to start our training ASAP or we can tell them we wish to defer it due to work or personal reasons as I understand, the next training is expected to start this April. If we wish to defer, what's the max waiting period scoot will wait for us to start training?

I hope grooming will be similar to SQ minus the nail painting (not making it compulsory). Having to fret the painting of nails before flight can be physically and mentally stressful lol

Did you wait long for the call after medical?
windupbird wrote:
redroseycheeks: Yep! We'll never know unless we take a risk. About grooming, the HR guy said that it's under the lady who will be training us - so further info will have to come from her when we're training. As you know, guys aren't interested in such stuff like us girls :wink: All I know is, we're allowed to carry our own handbags instead of being provided for by the company.

hilove

Post by hilove » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 8:15 pm

Hey all! Someone mentioned that since its newly start up airline, we will be the pioneer batch n there will be no politics etc. just to highlight that we must not forget there r actually those experienced crew who hv previously flown w other airlines n now jumped ship to Scoot. Those r considered the most pioneer batch of crew and they will probably be our crew in-charge or team leader on each Flt which will oversee the whole Flt n the rest of the cabin crew (like us who r the newly fresh entry crew w/o exp). So, no guarantee that there wld not be politics.

If they happen to be nice crew who r willing to guide us then we r considered lucky but well I guess there will bound to be those more "bitchy" ones as well.

Not to scare anyone but just hope everyone here dun just paint the gd picture esp when this job is so much ant handling and dealing w people...so hv to be prepared!

We will only be considered the "pioneer" batch among the entry level crew when they subsequently recruit more down the years.

kyumin

Post by kyumin » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 8:23 pm

windupbird wrote:Glad to be of help, Renaslw :D

Agree with u@ windupbird!! ^^ Hope to see u in e training!