Singapore Expats

Scoot - SIA new budget airlines :)

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
letsflysoon

Post by letsflysoon » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 1:05 am

redroseycheeks wrote:The lady asked if I was fine with 2.2 to 2.4k as salary. I agreed immediately.
Question: is 2.2-2.4k our basic salary excluding our allowances for non-turn around flights, sales commission onboard (when we sell and promote items) and flying hours?

At the interview, I was doing my sums. If its inclusive, we are definitely earning lesser than SQ and silkair. If excluding, can I safely say our basic salary is higher than SQ ($900 for poly graduates and $1,200 for Uni graduates - correct me if I'm wrong. This is WHAT I've heard from my SQ friends). Typically for SQ, they earn an average of $3,500. Some months they earn $4,000++ to $5,000++ and bad months about $3,000++. All depending on roster but if calculated on pro-rated basis, it's $3,500 on average.

Also, we might earn more or on par with SQ??!!

Just a thought. Did they brief about the allowance for non-turnaround flights? I think SQ pays $300-$400 for Aussie flights... Not many stewardess like Aussie flights and short onground time...
Hi Red, i thoughts the slide show presented during the 1st interview was misleading, i have the same thoughts as you initially.

let me answer your question: $2.2k~$2.4k is everything and subject to cpf. i would not go into detail to keep your motivation going.

so no, we will not be on par with S_q nor S_ilkair, not even close. as s_coot is a budget airline. -.-

redroseycheeks

Post by redroseycheeks » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 1:35 am

letsflysoon: hello! thanks for replying. hope the briefing was fine for you!
better to use abbreviations now lol :P

agree with you the powerpoint slide was misleading, so 2.2-2.4k is excluding CPF deductions? that's slightly a little on the low side but i reckoned, still higher than other friendly competitors like the yellow and orange airlines (you know what i mean). heard from a girl, the friendly competitors earn about 1.6 to 1.8k (take-home salary). no turn-around flights even j_tar i_ter_tional with stayovers earns about 1.8-2k, no meals provided onboard, got to fork out some personal expenses, no transport allowances and sometimes, pay will be delayed.

how long did the medical took and was there any blood test? :( i'm terribly afraid of blood tests....
Last edited by redroseycheeks on Thu, 08 Mar 2012 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

redroseycheeks

Post by redroseycheeks » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 1:41 am

BNE wrote:Hey girls, congrats!

But I'm really getting a bit concerned here because I have not heard of anybody in the 2pm group whom Scoot have contacted to even do the Profile Test. I have been waiting for the email day and night but it seems like nothing is coming up -.- You guys are already signing the contract in a few days. Gosh.... and I cant even contact Scoot in anyway :'( Going crazy soon.
hello!
i reckoned, they are calling girls by interview timings, sending emails according to the results of the final 1-to-1 interview (those who were selected) or probably at random. no one knows how it works but don't give up hope. no news doesn't mean its bad news. stay positive :)

who knows you might receive a call tomorrow or on friday. just make sure your phone is on and on the loudest ringtone possible from 6pm onwards. i'm sure, this is the time they will call as its after office hours.

the rest of the girls who got the call earlier: CONGRATS AND I'M SURE YOU CAN STOP FRETTING NOW! still, another hurdle to go before we are certain we are in: THE MEDICAL TEST!

redroseycheeks

Post by redroseycheeks » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 1:48 am

hello girls,
just to keep your motivated. scoot is definitely flying to more places by end 2012 and i remembered someone in the forum who hopes that the airline goes to japan! there's really japan in the pipeline :) and i think its tokyo and osaka.

The airline is expected to commence operations by April 2012 from Changi Airport's Terminal 2.[8] The new airline will compete with Jetstar Airways and AirAsia X.[9] The airline also announced that Sydney will become the carrier's first destination, which plans to fly daily from Singapore from mid-2012.[10][11] Also, Gold Coast was announced as the carrier's second destination.[12] By the end of the year, the airline intends to serve five cities which would include cities in Australia, China and Japan.

kyumin

Post by kyumin » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 7:48 am

mkisses wrote:
utmostpersonal wrote:agree with mkisses.

those who've signed the agreement, care to share how come you are willing to fly with Scoot? is it truly passion for CS/flying? or better paid than your current job?
For me, it's both.

I think their pay is high enough for a diploma holder. Since I just graduated, I can't possibly be earning anything above $2k yet, unless I go into sales line, which I don't like. To me, cabin crew is probably the one of the higher pay jobs for a fresh diploma holder. Scoot might not have very high pay as compared to SQ, but it's a new airline and thus, no politics YET. And I can be a senior instead of a junior, being a pioneer batch.

Compared to some of you who already might be working and earning >2.5k pay, you will definitely think the pay is not that good. But for me, a fresh dip grad, it's more than what I can ask for in any other jobs.

Also, travelling is definitely one of the best perks. I have never worked as a FA, so I can't just say it's because I have strong passion. But it's the job that I'm most interested in as for now.

YES! I agree with u ^^ That's what I feel too ya!!

kyumin

Post by kyumin » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 7:52 am

redroseycheeks wrote:letsflysoon: hello! thanks for replying. hope the briefing was fine for you!
better to use abbreviations now lol :P

agree with you the powerpoint slide was misleading, so 2.2-2.4k is excluding CPF deductions? that's slightly a little on the low side but i reckoned, still higher than other friendly competitors like the yellow and orange airlines (you know what i mean). heard from a girl, the friendly competitors earn about 1.6 to 1.8k (take-home salary). no turn-around flights even j_tar i_ter_tional with stayovers earns about 1.8-2k, no meals provided onboard, got to fork out some personal expenses, no transport allowances and sometimes, pay will be delayed.

how long did the medical took and was there any blood test? :( i'm terribly afraid of blood tests....
Dont worry there isnt any blood test! Just some simple tests ^^ The medical result will be out in just few days!

Renaslw

Post by Renaslw » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 8:27 am

What I remembered from the assessment centre was $2.2k - $2.4k will be the gross salary before CPF deduction. Don't remember if they mentioned are the allowances, commissions and per hour rates included.
redroseycheeks wrote:The lady asked if I was fine with 2.2 to 2.4k as salary. I agreed immediately.
Question: is 2.2-2.4k our basic salary excluding our allowances for non-turn around flights, sales commission onboard (when we sell and promote items) and flying hours?

At the interview, I was doing my sums. If its inclusive, we are definitely earning lesser than SQ and silkair. If excluding, can I safely say our basic salary is higher than SQ ($900 for poly graduates and $1,200 for Uni graduates - correct me if I'm wrong. This is WHAT I've heard from my SQ friends). Typically for SQ, they earn an average of $3,500. Some months they earn $4,000++ to $5,000++ and bad months about $3,000++. All depending on roster but if calculated on pro-rated basis, it's $3,500 on average.

Just a thought. Did they brief about the allowance for non-turnaround flights? I think SQ pays $300-$400 for Aussie flights... Not many stewardess like Aussie flights and short onground time...

redroseycheeks

Post by redroseycheeks » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:45 am

renaslw: yep. thats what i'm trying to say. which was why i made the assumption we could possibly earn more than SQ or even be on par. anyway, no more assumptions for now as will know more at the contract briefing on saturday.

its the travelling experience which values more.

now, i'm wondering what sort of hotels they will allocate us to. CNA reported its a 2 FAs to 1 room policy
Renaslw wrote:What I remembered from the assessment centre was $2.2k - $2.4k will be the gross salary before CPF deduction. Don't remember if they mentioned are the allowances, commissions and per hour rates included.

letsflysoon

Post by letsflysoon » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:06 am

letsflysoon wrote:

Hi Red, i thoughts the slide show presented during the 1st interview was misleading, i have the same thoughts as you initially.

let me answer your question: $2.2k~$2.4k is everything and subject to cpf. i would not go into detail to keep your motivation going.

so no, we will not be on par with S_q nor S_ilkair, not even close. as s_coot is a budget airline. -.-
hi all again, thou i know the rough figure of the scheme. but still i would like to ask those here who have been or even have not been to the contract briefing.

chances of gross over $3k?
chances of gross over $3.5k?
anything above seem overrated, and lets say we stick at junior FA atm.

colouredcookies

Post by colouredcookies » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:16 am

i guess how much we earn really depend on how hardworking and how good our roster are? cos most of the money come from allowances & flying hours?

yep! 2 CC to 1 bedroom. kinda weird sharing with someone you dk. but also cool la, cos one person like scary also. LOL.

windupbird

Post by windupbird » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:46 pm

letsflysoon wrote:
letsflysoon wrote:

hi all again, thou i know the rough figure of the scheme. but still i would like to ask those here who have been or even have not been to the contract briefing.

Hey there! I was from the first batch of interviewees and have already been to the contract briefing.

If you're looking at a junior FA, your salary will generally be around < 2.2 - 2.4k mark (and btw that is incl everything, allowances, meals, commission, except cpf deduction).

So back to your question, is there any chance of gross over $3k? I'm afraid not.

HR did continually warn us though that the pay might be low at this point in time since this is a low-cost airline that's just starting out.

Hope that answers some of your doubts.

mojoli

Post by mojoli » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 1:13 pm

here are a few point maybe you might want to ask yourself before joining :

(2) can you survive on the basic salary ( deduct 20% for CPF ) they offer for at least 3 month during training ?

(3) are you prepare for the not confirmed $2.2 -2.4k pay after you started to flying or maybe less than that .

(4) do you think that with a one night stay at the hotel after 7 hr flight for example would give you ample time to explore the countries ?

I would say this a good experience for an fresh graduate but for a mid-career switch then is really gonna to depend on your own saving for awhile at start .

Renaslw

Post by Renaslw » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 1:41 pm

yea. what time is your contract briefing on sat?
redroseycheeks wrote:renaslw: yep. thats what i'm trying to say. which was why i made the assumption we could possibly earn more than SQ or even be on par. anyway, no more assumptions for now as will know more at the contract briefing on saturday.

its the travelling experience which values more.

now, i'm wondering what sort of hotels they will allocate us to. CNA reported its a 2 FAs to 1 room policy
Renaslw wrote:What I remembered from the assessment centre was $2.2k - $2.4k will be the gross salary before CPF deduction. Don't remember if they mentioned are the allowances, commissions and per hour rates included.

Renaslw

Post by Renaslw » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 1:44 pm

guess by then we'll all already have built a bond during the training?
colouredcookies wrote:i guess how much we earn really depend on how hardworking and how good our roster are? cos most of the money come from allowances & flying hours?

yep! 2 CC to 1 bedroom. kinda weird sharing with someone you dk. but also cool la, cos one person like scary also. LOL.

Renaslw

Post by Renaslw » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 1:46 pm

that really cleared some of our doubts! did you sign with scoot at the end of the day?
windupbird wrote:
letsflysoon wrote:
letsflysoon wrote: Hi Red, i thoughts the slide show presented during the 1st interview was misleading, i have the same thoughts as you initially.

Hey there! I was from the first batch of interviewees and have already been to the contract briefing.

If you're looking at a junior FA, your salary will generally be around < 2.2 - 2.4k mark (and btw that is incl everything, allowances, meals, commission, except cpf deduction).

So back to your question, is there any chance of gross over $3k? I'm afraid not.

HR did continually warn us though that the pay might be low at this point in time since this is a low-cost airline that's just starting out.

Hope that answers some of your doubts.