Singapore Expats

A documentary about Foreign domestic workers

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:12 am

nakatago wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:But, he is a diversion I guess. The only harm he really does is make himself look sillier and sillier with each foray into the bright light of day.
This is also a reason why I didn't, ahem, moderate his post.
*sigh* allow me the ask a "sillier" question:

How does my post serve as diversion with the subject mentioned is relevant to the OP?

In fact, sms himself early on questioned why "we cannot post any photographs.... of ...recently deceased ...Or anybody else who has died? Strange don't you think?"

So is this about "freedom of expression" or are we are seeing selective content management here? :shock:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:21 am

Manthink wrote:
nakatago wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:But, he is a diversion I guess. The only harm he really does is make himself look sillier and sillier with each foray into the bright light of day.
This is also a reason why I didn't, ahem, moderate his post.
*sigh* allow me the ask a "sillier" question:

How does my post serve as diversion with the subject mentioned is relevant to the OP?

In fact, sms himself early on questioned why "we cannot post any photographs.... of ...recently deceased ...Or anybody else who has died? Strange don't you think?"

So is this about "freedom of expression" or are we are seeing selective content management here? :shock:
You're even denser than I thought. You completely miss the point.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:42 am

Let me go down few levels to you here.

SMS said that in direct reference to ecureilx's advice against posting up photographs of dead people and ridiculing them, not the photo itself. Ecureilx was the only one who gets your photo. SMS didn't get it. And so were the rest of us until Barnsley and Nakatago showed the links (do I have to repeat myself here?).

You attempted to contribute to the discussion but, very sadly, you chose to play your sad little game of litmus test by posting one photo (which appeared to be random to most of us until it has been made clear by people other than YOU, sadly). Then you sniggered at absolutely nothing. This whole thing is hence, a diversion (which we can obviously tell by poor zzm's rant).

If you still don't get this, man, you really can't think.

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:43 am

zzm9980 wrote:I'm not sure what the point is here, with that photo... Is there something inherently wrong with a South-east Asian female enjoying a swimming pool with a South-asian male? Or is that something Singaporeans feel those "lesser" people shouldn't be allowed to do?
Ah, thanks for sharing your thought.
But why are you jumping the gun and getting worked up with this relationship? Who's saying these are lesser people?
...we need to remembered that some body just died and some families back home are probably left with many unanswered questions.
Like I mentioned before, this is a sad case...and it is not the first nor the last that we see in Singapore's foreign community.

I was originally going to say: "You do realize that one or two anecdotal cases of "maids gone wild" reported by the media doesn't indicate a quantifiable trend, and that just as many cases of "Singaporeans gone wild" likely occur, but you don't hear about them because they wouldn't be as sensational to report, right?" Then I remembered most Singaporeans can't critically think about what they're told. Those that can have left the country or aren't campaigning against treating their maids like humans.
Correction:

Maids by-and-large are treated well.
Trouble is some of them fail to recognized or forget that Singapore is no Disneyland ...and that's a pity considering some are in pretty well educated like one of the victim in latest case in Geylang.

Another relationship ended just as bad, and this time the b/f may be given the capital punishment for the accused 27-year old Bangladeshi who was involved with a married maid.
While others are forunate for jail time for murder in just yesterday.

URL removed at request of site owner. - moderator

We need to be aware of this under laying issues before toddling down the well-worn maid-is-always-the-victim route.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:59 am

You keep trying, but actually you are just tiring. Give it up.

It's a said state of affairs when Singaporeans cannot give a maid one day off a week until it legislated by law. Why are Singaporeans any different? You don't think other families/women in Hong Kong and Taiwan have the same problems as locals do? You and your ilk are pathetic. Especially when you try to deflect the criticisms and put the blame on those who are generally the victims. The majority of times something happens to the employers is because of the torment received at the hands of those employers. Are the maids less capable here? Yeah, probably, as those who can command to be treated fairly are in Hong Kong & Taiwan. Singapore is known to be the "LAST" Choice as a work destination followed closely by Malaysia. You are a good example as to why..... :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:06 am

the lynx wrote: You attempted to contribute to the discussion but, very sadly, you chose to play your sad little game of litmus test by posting one photo (which appeared to be random to most of us until it has been made clear by people other than YOU, sadly). Then you sniggered at absolutely nothing. This whole thing is hence, a diversion (which we can obviously tell by poor zzm's rant).

If you still don't get this, man, you really can't think.
I am not sure why you need to speak on behalf of sms when all statements are there to read?!

But no thanks for your judgement since I can think and do simple litmus test that yield interesting and insight full responses.

The Geylang-couple photo was hardly a random. It only looked "random" or some alleged "diversion" when some don't read "local news" !

Some folks like Barnsley did him or herself a favour knowing that "it was front page of The New Paper but I didnt read the article so I cannot be sure.."

As for other less-informed plpe like zzm, a little daily reading up with different from sources will help.

Afterall, it is far better than relying some "expat" forum like this, as you may had noticed :wink:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:22 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:.... Singapore is known to be the "LAST" Choice as a work destination followed closely by Malaysia. You are a good example as to why..... :roll:
And to chip in, Malaysia being at the bottom has more to do with low wages .. and hence, a lesser attractive destination ..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:28 am

Manthink wrote:We need to be aware of this under laying issues before toddling down the well-worn maid-is-always-the-victim route.
I guess I am probably one of the very very few who openly says on this board that the maids are not angels but your line of defense of the system makes me truly scared that some people may get this idea we have something in common.

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:41 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You keep trying, but actually you are just tiring. Give it up.

It's a said state of affairs when Singaporeans cannot give a maid one day off a week until it legislated by law..... :roll:
sms, I am not even trying make any major statement here nor change anyone's opinion....so why ask me to quit?..(aside from being "moderated" by the moderator) :???:

Side note: In your PA experience + nearly 3 decades in Singapore, were you involved with some domestic-helper or foreign-worker related activities?

Sad state you say? Can you share more?

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:53 am

nakatago wrote:You're even denser than I thought. You completely miss the point.
mod, I would rather believe that I am not a very smart person.

In fact, I pretty sure some maids are more intelligent than me..

okay...so much for my "freedom of expression" in this forum. :P

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:08 pm

Manthink wrote:
nakatago wrote:You're even denser than I thought. You completely miss the point.

It's pointless to discuss things with you.

Talking to you is like arguing with a dining room table.

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:18 pm

nakatago wrote:
Manthink wrote:
It's pointless to discuss things with you.
Talking to you is like arguing with a dining room table.
I can't believe this dining-table is saying it again but here goes!

I was and am disappointed with your response(s) - for the second time! :lol:

But..that doesn't mean I am giving up on you.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:27 pm

Manthink wrote: While others are forunate for jail time for murder in just yesterday.
Fitriah's lawyer, Mr Mohamed Muzammil Mohamed, said his client had an IQ of 63, which made her unable to cope with a demanding and difficult employer. The normal range is between 90 and 110.

The lawyer added that Mdm Sng had hired seven maids between 2003 and 2009.

We need to be aware of this under laying issues before toddling down the well-worn maid-is-always-the-victim route.
The old bat must have been a real piece of work if she went through 7 maids in 6 years. Thank you, Mancan'tthink, you just supported what we have been saying. Most of it is because of the employer's treatment of the FDW - and in this case it would appear that the employer was not a very good employer at all to have gone through 7 maids in 6 years. "demanding and difficult" I believe the phrase was? What was it you were saying about underlying issues?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:44 pm

x9200 wrote:
Manthink wrote:We need to be aware of this under laying issues before toddling down the well-worn maid-is-always-the-victim route.
I guess I am probably one of the very very few who openly says on this board that the maids are not angels but your line of defense of the system makes me truly scared that some people may get this idea we have something in common.
1st, I am not going to convince you anything here.

2nd, let's say I disagree you here...humans aren't angels...so that basically covers not just maids, but FT, locals and priests etc etc.

...and maybe this dining-room-table.. :wink:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Manthink wrote: While others are forunate for jail time for murder in just yesterday.
Fitriah's lawyer, Mr Mohamed Muzammil Mohamed, said his client had an IQ of 63, which made her unable to cope with a demanding and difficult employer. The normal range is between 90 and 110.

The lawyer added that Mdm Sng had hired seven maids between 2003 and 2009.

The old bat must have been a real piece of work if she went through 7 maids in 6 years. Thank you, Mancan'tthink, you just supported what we have been saying. Most of it is because of the employer's treatment of the FDW - and in this case it would appear that the employer was not a very good employer at all to have gone through 7 maids in 6 years. "demanding and difficult" I believe the phrase was? What was it you were saying about underlying issues?
What do you know...Mancantthink was actually able to deliver a point, albeit through serendipity.

If you do throw enough stuff on a wall, eventually something will stick.