Singapore Expats

A documentary about Foreign domestic workers

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 10:16 am

the lynx wrote: 2. Ecureilx, as much as you're trying to help, you could have included a more useful form of reference since you are the first one who got a clue about the picture. Yes, respecting the dead by not posting photos of them and ridiculing them is a right thing to do and to impose on others. Now everyone (especially zzm) is all over the place about the wrong hem of BOTH issues. And please don't sulk about people not understanding what you're trying to imply about respecting the dead. It could have been appreciated if you made it clear and not cryptic EARLIER ON.
I am Guilty as charged

I just thought that people visit Asia One and Yahoo sg news .. it's been on their front page for the past few days actually ..

PS: Since there is a rumour mill running amok in the internet .. I thought it is not good to add fuel to the fire .. :)

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 10:39 am

Picture does worth a thousand words, doesn't it?

My inclusion of those pics and leaving out the story behind them are intentional...and to serve a few purpose.

It's a litmus test for some folks here if they do keep update of the news...very revealing from some your responses....also the ethnic dimension ..and gaping differences between how local and non-local view such cases...
So this goes beyond just the "maid" thing this thread is about.

But I agree it's kinda tasteless to post those recently deceased pics as part of the thread discussion..and its sad story. Hell...it is all over the internet and media...what's new?

Well...I am a little surprised how un-informed some really are. :wink:

So, do you want me to post the pic of the following maid that also made headlines in Singapore not so long ago? <- yes..this time I provide a link there.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 10:48 am

Manthink wrote:Picture does worth a thousand words, doesn't it?

My inclusion of those pics and leaving out the story behind them are intentional...and to serve a few purpose.

It's a litmus test for some folks here if they do keep update of the news...very revealing from some your responses....also the ethnic dimension ..and gaping differences between how local and non-local view such cases...

But I agree it's kinda tasteless to post those recently deceased pics as part of the thread discussion..and its sad story. Hell...it is all over the internet and media...what's new?

Well...I am a little surprised how un-informed some really are.
Uninformed and ignorance is one thing.

Tasteless and malicious is another. Your post would be considered trolling by other people in this community. As I've said, not everyone subscribes to the same news sources. This is no measure of their alignment--moral, political, ethical, etc. It only means people have varied interests.

I would have deleted your post had it not been for freedom of expression. I strongly advise some discretion next time you find yourself wanting to provoke discussion.

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 10:53 am

nakatago wrote:...I would have deleted your post had it not been for freedom of expression. I strongly advise some discretion next time you find yourself wanting to provoke discussion.
-Moderator [/color]
I am disappointed with your response, mod.

Delete my post(s) as you wish...but please don't lecture me about "freedom of expression"..

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 11:03 am

nakatago wrote:
Tasteless and malicious ... Your post would be considered trolling by other people in this community.
+1

SMH :-|

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 11:04 am

Manthink wrote:
nakatago wrote:...I would have deleted your post had it not been for freedom of expression. I strongly advise some discretion next time you find yourself wanting to provoke discussion.
-Moderator [/color]

Delete my post(s) as you wish...but please don't lecture me about "freedom of expression"..
You're disappointed?! I'M DISAPPOINTED.

I never said your post was to be deleted. I never questioned your goal either.

I did, however, wished that you could have done a better job of making your point. I defend your right to say what you want within limits.

Please try to read people's intentions better next time.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 11:08 am

Well...I am a little surprised how un-informed some really are. :wink:

So, do you want me to post the pic of the following maid that also made headlines in Singapore not so long ago? <- yes..this time I provide a link there.
I will not discount the fact that some of people here do not know certain local news update - but doing a litmus test with a (random) image?

That's low.
(You could chosen to drop other forms of hints - but looks like you had to resort to this instead)

And a picture of dead people and then saying "Hell...it is all over the internet and media...what's new?"

Very low.
(You, my friend, are almost treading down to News-of-The-World standard - lucky you that the photo was purportedly sourced from Facebook, not hacked mobile phones)

And then smirking in your false sense of victory just because some people ruffled few of their feathers? And then trying to play for freedom of expression?

That makes you a troll. Congratulations. Go have a cookie.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 12:09 pm

the lynx wrote:e.

4. ZZM... (face palm) Hold your horses please...
Sorry, I had just spent 20 minutes reading locals opinions on "another forum" about maids getting a day off, then came here. My brain picked and chose Manthink's post which implies maids are going wild by swimming?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 12:11 pm

Manthink wrote:
I try to avoid "local" news sources as they're complete rubbish and make me angry. They make Fox news look more respectable than BBC or NPR.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 12:14 pm

And even AFTER i read the news story, I don't get Manthink's point if he had one. His comments are implying foreign workers are "going wild", and these two were murdered. Implying that's somehow their fault? Really, please elaborate. Do Singaporeans not use hourly hotels in Geylang? I'm really confused as to his point...

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 12:54 pm

It's a litmus test for some folks here if they do keep update of the news...very revealing from some your responses....also the ethnic dimension ..and gaping differences between how local and non-local view such cases...So this goes beyond just the "maid" thing this thread is about.

judging from your post, you were expecting people would understand what you implied but since you didnt get the expected reply, you are trying to turn it around and make it into a litmus test about how informed forumers are about the local news...oh comeon..comeon comeon.. :roll:

Are you trying to point out that having off days will increase the crime rate ?maybe i can also remind you bout that foreign prostitute who fell down from the hdb of a Singaporean guy a couple of months ago. Go back to your cave.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 1:08 pm

Yeah, he does crawl out from under his bridge or out of his cave every now & again. His warped thought processes almost invariably produce the same type of garbage every time. But, he is a diversion I guess. The only harm he really does is make himself look sillier and sillier with each foray into the bright light of day. And yeah, this time he's really crawfishing (backpedaling for those not used to the term) to try to salvage something, but it's just not working as everybody can see through him.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 1:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:But, he is a diversion I guess. The only harm he really does is make himself look sillier and sillier with each foray into the bright light of day.
This is also a reason why I didn't, ahem, moderate his post.

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 9:58 am

nakatago wrote:
Manthink wrote:
-Moderator [/color]

You're disappointed?! I'M DISAPPOINTED.

I never said your post was to be deleted. I never questioned your goal either.

I did, however, wished that you could have done a better job of making your point. I defend your right to say what you want within limits.

Please try to read people's intentions better next time.
Mod,

Again, please read your original statement again. You signal is clear with that "I would have deleted your post" warning and only be held back by the so-called in name of "freedom of expression" with your signoff as "Moderator".

Your message is clear but your intention is confusing.

Hypocrisy at its worst?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:12 am

Manthink wrote: Mod,

Again, please read your original statement again. You signal is clear with that "I would have deleted your post" warning and only be held back by the so-called in name of "freedom of expression" with your signoff as "Moderator".

Your message is clear but your intention is confusing.

Hypocrisy at its worst?
No, it's clear that it's you who don't understand things.

Why is it so difficult to get things through your thick skull? You don't understand contrasting ideas. You don't understand when you're being warned or even when any sort of boundaries are being defined. You don't understand authority. I'm sick of guys like you, constantly misconstruing any sort of criticism.

You clearly lack any comprehension to engage in any sort of discourse or even constructive argument. I'm not even sure if you really understand what hypocrisy means. You probably don't.

Look back to other people's responses. It's clear it's you who's causing the confusion here. Poodlek agrees with me. the lynx and morenangpinoy sense you're being malicious. SMS thinks you're just being aggravating whenever you post here. It's very clear--you are being an irritant in this community.