Singapore Expats

What are Singaporeans

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 29 Feb 2012 10:11 am

Sophiachan wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
the lynx wrote:The Chinese frame really reminds me of a story told by an American acquaintance in Singapore.

He requested for important documents to be mailed using DHL to his regional office in Singapore from the US. Weeks passed by and there was nothing. He checked with his HQ in the US and learned that the package was returned to the US as 'undelivered'.

When he asked to check the address, guess what? The Singapore address was accurate all the way - and they added CHINA at the last line of the address. :P :lol:
I've had more than a few people I know in the US (who are otherwise rather intelligent in their specialties) think that Singapore was in/part of China.
I am so surprised that some people even do not know Singapore and China are two independent countries. I remember that when i was at junior school, our history shows that after World War Two, Singapore and other three countries were called Four Asian Tigers. How they know history so little.
Moderators, how is this person still here? I received PM spam from them the other night; I just assumed they would be auto-banned...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:07 am

Can't ban someone until they are known to be spammers. Mods cannot read other people's PM's so until they let us know........ :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:07 am

Anyway, she's history now.......
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:39 am

aster wrote:
x9200 wrote:I still have some hard drives made by Maxtor or Seagate made in Singapore.
I remember those too.

Bosch used to manufacture fridges here, as when my parents' one finally broke down after 15 years of service I was surprised to find a "Made in Singapore" label on the back.

Nowadays it seems like the gahmen are placing the emphasis on tourism and services. This seems to work out fine, as even a sky-rocketing Sing Dollar - and the largest increase in hotel prices anywhere in the world - have still generated a record number of visitors to Singapore. So much for bowing down to the laws of economics...
Does Tourism and Services generate the "High-Value" jobs that the Gahmen goes on about?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:41 am

Barnsley wrote:Does Tourism and Services generate the "High-Value" jobs that the Gahmen goes on about?
...which are manned by mostly FTs if you'd ask me...

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 2:04 pm

the lynx wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Does Tourism and Services generate the "High-Value" jobs that the Gahmen goes on about?
...which are manned by mostly FTs if you'd ask me...
If these "FT" can provide generate revenues and good services,why not?
And it's probably the $$$ reason that many 1st heard of this place.

And it's probably one reason why it's called

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 2:11 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_red_dot

Then-pres. Habibie was allegedly trying to insult Singapore.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 2:57 pm

nakatago wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_red_dot
then-pres. Habibie was allegedly trying to insult Singapore.
...and that "insult" (or whatever its intend) was pretty well exploited, not just the local authorities, but quite a few local enterprises...till this very day...

If I were Habibie, I could have foresaw this catch phrase and patent it right away in 1998!

From books, to elementary school materials, even to a hostel for backpackers all have inferences to this little island.

"little red dot" n. the country of Singapore. Subjects: English, Singapore
http://www.doubletongued.org/index.php/ ... e_red_dot/

How about size XXXXL ?
Image :wink: