Singapore Expats

Turning off Chinese Subtitles

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
stueyhall

Turning off Chinese Subtitles

Post by stueyhall » Sun, 04 Mar 2012 8:05 pm

Just signed up for Starhub Tv and can't get rid of the chinese subtitles all over my tv. I would love to get rid of them but have been advised by the nice folk of starhub they are hard wired in and cannot be turned off... I am sure they weren't included on the starhub I was watching at my old place...

Surely not.. any suggestions on how to ditch them?

Cheers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 04 Mar 2012 8:23 pm

I have Singtel MIO, and my remote control has buttons for "Audio" and "Subtitles". Sometimes the subtitles are burned into the video stream, but other times I can change or disable them with the remote. Same with audio stream; quite a few stations are both english and mandarin. I'd suggest playing with your remote and going through all of the menus in the system.

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Sun, 04 Mar 2012 10:58 pm

i find the subtitles with mandarin track can be useful for further language studies. its good to expose yourself to the local language.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 04 Mar 2012 11:43 pm

If you can read it in the first place.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 8:29 am

sensei_ wrote:i find the subtitles with mandarin track can be useful for further language studies. its good to expose yourself to the local language.
And I thought I was the only one who watched YOYOTV intently listening and reading all of the lyrics in their songs!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 8:41 am

Change the zoom setting of the TV that normally crops it out, though you loose a chunk of the actual image.

stueyhall

Post by stueyhall » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 8:45 am

Have gone through all the settings and the remote gives me nothing...

The old zoom in trick is probably going to work as well as the suggested solution by the starhub guy. "Get a bigger tv and then the subtitles will be smaller..."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 9:16 am

stueyhall wrote:Have gone through all the settings and the remote gives me nothing...

The old zoom in trick is probably going to work as well as the suggested solution by the starhub guy. "Get a bigger tv and then the subtitles will be smaller..."

So I asked someone who would know, and apparently Starhub's whole back-end system is still analog based. You're screwed. Switch to Singtel MIO. But they probably won't have most of the content anyway :(

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 9:18 am

stueyhall wrote:Have gone through all the settings and the remote gives me nothing...

Really? They suggested that?

I guess the only other option would be to use a web based tv service so you don't have to put up with the locally added Chinese subtitles.

To be fair, I don't even notice them anymore anyway, suppose it depends on whether you are bothered by them, I have never really been that bothered.

Good luck with your new telly and zoom in function ;)
nutnut

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 10:04 am

if your TV hasn't got the zoom function then good old fashion black gaffer tape along the bottom would be a cheaper option.

or when really bored you can play sub title Chinese Bingo,

stueyhall

Post by stueyhall » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 3:54 pm

I'll be sure to feed those suggestions back to my 'mate' at starhub...

In the mean time I'll continue watching the subtitle free rugby channel.