Singapore Expats

Jobs in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
blogtowkay

Post by blogtowkay » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 10:09 am

Try one of the headcounting/recruitment agencies instead.

atlantiis

Post by atlantiis » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 8:52 pm

Truthfully speaking, are there good jobs in the music industry in Singapore now?

carpuff

Re: Call Centre Jobs

Post by carpuff » Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:04 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
staryalley wrote:There are many major call centres in Singapore and the range of jobs available is quite wide.. From customer service to telesales to technical support to business development to back office support... Industries that engage Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) providers or call centres if you call it also ranges widely.. From banking & finance to business solutions to travel to F&B and many more..
And oddly enough an extremely high percentage of them are mostly from the Philippines. And the rest are from India. But at least having them come here and eventually get PR gives the local gene pool a lift that's badly needed. :P
Having workers from the neighboring country such as the Philippines for our Call Center Industry is highly appreciated. They give us much of the boost for our economy.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Call Centre Jobs

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:25 am

carpuff wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
staryalley wrote:There are many major call centres in Singapore and the range of jobs available is quite wide.. From customer service to telesales to technical support to business development to back office support... Industries that engage Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) providers or call centres if you call it also ranges widely.. From banking & finance to business solutions to travel to F&B and many more..
And oddly enough an extremely high percentage of them are mostly from the Philippines. And the rest are from India. But at least having them come here and eventually get PR gives the local gene pool a lift that's badly needed. :P
Having workers from the neighboring country such as the Philippines for our Call Center Industry is highly appreciated. They give us much of the boost for our economy.
Huh? Call centers are leaving Singapore in droves to India, Malaysia, and the Philippines. Cost of labor is to high here, compared to the other countries.

Jess828

Post by Jess828 » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 10:29 am

What are some recommended jobs for Arts Undergraduates in Singapore? Thanks!

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 10:43 am

Jess828 wrote:What are some recommended jobs for Arts Undergraduates in Singapore? Thanks!
McDonalds Fry Cook?

If you haven't got a degree in Accountancy, Finance, Science or that kind of thing then I don't think there is that much here.

Good luck though.
nutnut

dhiv

hi everyone

Post by dhiv » Sun, 19 Feb 2012 6:57 pm

hey guys,

i am new to this forum and to singapore. Moved in two months ago. Hi to all... :D

noskich
Regular
Regular

Correlation between education and job/salary

Post by noskich » Tue, 28 Feb 2012 2:16 pm

Just wondering is it true what I heard there was a strong correlation in Singapore between person`s education and job and salary?
For example master holders get paid more than undergrads, PhDs more than master people etc. All that in case their work experience is comparable more or less and education is the only difference.
In Australia where I am now only experience counts in IT.
I am working in project management and have a long-term plan to move overthere and just started doing a PhD in IT project management. Would it be benefitial there either in pursuing lecturer jobs or getting a better package as a professional? Thanks.

Strong Eagle

Re: Correlation between education and job/salary

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 28 Feb 2012 7:22 pm

noskich wrote:Just wondering is it true what I heard there was a strong correlation in Singapore between person`s education and job and salary?
For example master holders get paid more than undergrads, PhDs more than master people etc. All that in case their work experience is comparable more or less and education is the only difference.
In Australia where I am now only experience counts in IT.
I am working in project management and have a long-term plan to move overthere and just started doing a PhD in IT project management. Would it be benefitial there either in pursuing lecturer jobs or getting a better package as a professional? Thanks.
Don't know about the lecturer job, but it is your track record in large IT projects that brings the bucks. In theory, project management theory reflects reality but in reality those who know the theory still don't know how to manage a project.

I do large scale infrastructure and managed services implementations. I'd be far more interested in how you manage virtual teams, how you deal with global/regional conflicts, misalignments of goals and processes, failure to handle commercials, putting pressure on recalcitrant suppliers and such. The real world of how ugly projects, poor designs, and people with aggrandized self interest are run as opposed to the textbook frameworks of the ideal project... there are never any ideal IT projects and there never will be.

noskich
Regular
Regular

Thanks

Post by noskich » Tue, 28 Feb 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks for reply eagle. Agreed, for sure experience is a primary prerequisite, though my question was assuming different candidates have comparable experience would educational level make any difference with regards to the package offered and employment opportunities in Singapore? In Australia it doesn`t.

The reason why I am asking is that I heard education is more valued in Singapore than in Australia (both level and prestige of university) plus I keep finding some information online that support the claim like this here:
http://myjobstreet.jobstreet.com/career ... r||190||sg
Thanks again for your help.

Strong Eagle

Re: Thanks

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 28 Feb 2012 8:08 pm

noskich wrote:Thanks for reply eagle. Agreed, for sure experience is a primary prerequisite, though my question was assuming different candidates have comparable experience would educational level make any difference with regards to the package offered and employment opportunities in Singapore? In Australia it doesn`t.

The reason why I am asking is that I heard education is more valued in Singapore than in Australia (both level and prestige of university) plus I keep finding some information online that support the claim like this here:
Interesting link. For technical project managers, I think it's about S$1000 per year of experience... I've hired Singapore locals at S$6K to S$8K per month.

But top project managers make a lot more than that list. If you can mange more than the technicals, and you've been in a global environment, you could expect double what is on that list.

I lost one of my best PM's to a major global company because I was paying him $180K and they offered $240K. I pay people around 35 years of age with 5 to 7 years worth of real experience as much as $10K per month. I make a lot more than any numbers on that chart.

But, these kind of positions are few and far between. You better have some gray hair... you need to be able to build the trust relationship with C level people... a 28 year old guy, even if good, doesn't have the gravitas to talk to a global CIO.

And, you should be prepared for: MNC's only... you'll never get this kind of money out of a Singapore company unless they have so desperately f*cked something up, they need the talent. Witness Starhub for one. Second, you'll need to be on a contract basis to get this kind of money... with some exceptions as a very senior MNC project manager... and third... you know you will work your ass off... you don't get this kind of money for a 9 to 6 job with roses delivered to your desk everyday.

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Wed, 29 Feb 2012 7:51 am

Got it. Thanks eagle. Depending on the opportunities and future circumstances I may opt to either transfer to academia or keep going down the professional track. You cleared things up.

skkamandy

Post by skkamandy » Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:30 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
noskich wrote:Thanks for reply eagle. Agreed, for sure experience is a primary prerequisite, though my question was assuming different candidates have comparable experience would educational level make any difference with regards to the package offered and employment opportunities in Singapore? In Australia it doesn`t.

Interesting link. For technical project managers, I think it's about S$1000 per year of experience... I've hired Singapore locals at S$6K to S$8K per month.

But top project managers make a lot more than that list. If you can mange more than the technicals, and you've been in a global environment, you could expect double what is on that list.

I lost one of my best PM's to a major global company because I was paying him $180K and they offered $240K. I pay people around 35 years of age with 5 to 7 years worth of real experience as much as $10K per month. I make a lot more than any numbers on that chart.

But, these kind of positions are few and far between. You better have some gray hair... you need to be able to build the trust relationship with C level people... a 28 year old guy, even if good, doesn't have the gravitas to talk to a global CIO.

And, you should be prepared for: MNC's only... you'll never get this kind of money out of a Singapore company unless they have so desperately f*cked something up, they need the talent. Witness Starhub for one. Second, you'll need to be on a contract basis to get this kind of money... with some exceptions as a very senior MNC project manager... and third... you know you will work your ass off... you don't get this kind of money for a 9 to 6 job with roses delivered to your desk everyday.

Will SG companies/MNC consider hiring oversea IT project manager (contract basis) who are willing to relocate to Singapore?
Kam

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 12:57 am

skkamandy wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

Will SG companies/MNC consider hiring oversea IT project manager (contract basis) who are willing to relocate to Singapore?
They'll hire anybody... but what recommends you? You've got no network, no history. You are a CV... and unless it is spectacular... well... why you instead of the guy that can come in tomorrow morning for an interview?

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 9:16 am

Strong Eagle wrote: They'll hire anybody... but what recommends you? You've got no network, no history. You are a CV... and unless it is spectacular... well... why you instead of the guy that can come in tomorrow morning for an interview?
True, I was thinking for a person that wants to transfer from another country but prefers not to risk by quitting the job, moving and looking for a new one on the spot it might be useful to first obtain PEP visa and then take as long as possible leave (couple of months) and try to establish some contacts.