Singapore Expats

the sail, icon, one shenton or mbr?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
flying_carpet

the sail, icon, one shenton or mbr?

Post by flying_carpet » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 9:16 pm

will be working at MBFC and have been viewing lots of apartments but haven't found something i really like but have narrowed it down to the sail, icon, one shenton or marina bay residences? any comments on these few properties?

Search By

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 9:54 pm

They're expensive

flying_carpet

Post by flying_carpet » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:01 pm

zzm9980 wrote:They're expensive
yes thanks. any other (more helpful) comments?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:15 pm

Do you currently live on a building site within 5 minutes walk of work, and if not why are you looking to pay a premium to do so in SG?

There are a lot nicer places you could live than those you have mentioned, if you are willing or able to live an additional 10-15 minutes commute away from the office.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:08 pm

flying_carpet wrote:
I put just as much effort into my answer as you did your question. Try asking something more specific next time :)

flying_carpet

Post by flying_carpet » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:13 pm

JR8 wrote:Do you currently live on a building site within 5 minutes walk of work, and if not why are you looking to pay a premium to do so in SG?

There are a lot nicer places you could live than those you have mentioned, if you are willing or able to live an additional 10-15 minutes commute away from the office.
fair enough; but taxis in singapore are basically non-existent so living near MRTs is critical. i looked at the properties near the "downtown" mrt stations and they are only slightly cheaper (if at all) than the sail, e.g. citylights, newton suites, soleil, parc sophia, etc...so i thought might as well live at the Sail and next to the office.

sail is actually not noisy...the unit i looked at faces the bay (but small) so the night view will be quite amazing and maybe worth a small premium. icon is the noisy one with a construction site next door.

flying_carpet

Post by flying_carpet » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:15 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
flying_carpet wrote:
I put just as much effort into my answer as you did your question. Try asking something more specific next time :)
specifically, is there construction noise at night at the icon? i heard different answers..some agents say no, some say yes; so if someone lives there, let me know.

cobaltblue

Post by cobaltblue » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 9:09 pm

friend of mine lives at the icon, he tells me that the construction noise is ok, but definitely noticeable also during evening/early nights from time to time. I was only there once and didn't notice it much, but I am rather noise resistant :)

If construction noise is a problem, stay away from one shenton, I lived there for a while and you definitely hear it also at night, especially if your unit is not facing shenton way but towards asia square. For me it was not a big problem, but my wife hated it there, so we moved to a smaller condo in novena.

before i moved to singapore, a couple of colleagues of mine lived in the sail, but were really unhappy there. they said it's very loud all the time, the quality of the fixtures and installation was causing them problems all the time and it was rather overpriced in their opinion. This was more than 6 months ago however and I have never been there myself.

hope this helps.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 9:11 am

cobaltblue wrote: before i moved to singapore, a couple of colleagues of mine lived in the sail, but were really unhappy there. they said it's very loud all the time, the quality of the fixtures and installation was causing them problems all the time and it was rather overpriced in their opinion. This was more than 6 months ago however and I have never been there myself.

hope this helps.
A former employer of mine left his studio apartment in the Sail locked for about 3 months, and when he came back, he realised that the kitchen parquet flooring had sort of 'come up' and was up by about 6 inch at the highest point of the bulge, and in the process, blocking the fridge door too.

The property management were not very keen resolve it, He had to engage his own people to fix it.

and his neighbours too had encountered such problems, and that was like a year ago.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 12:30 pm

Step out of the Sail on a Sunday and it'll feel like you're on a zombie movie set minus the zombies. Plus the last time I was there I had to wait quite a bit for an elevator... and this was at an off-peak time. I don't even want to know what it's like in the mornings...

Plus the building itself is very average on the inside. The lifts and the corridors have that "el cheapo" feel about them.

Plenty of other choices available if you don't mind stepping onto the MRT, or if walking is your thing then the Robertson Quay area would be sweet and you can walk there on auto-pilot as it's just down the river.