Singapore Expats

PEP Query - please help

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 4:23 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Trust me on this. I earned Marco Polo Diamond in a year from SFO-HKG-SIN :P I know that schedule.
... isn't SQ21/22/37/38 the only flights doing the Polar route ?

I sit in the tail end, not in the pointy end, so never figured that out though.
I avoid SQ, so I'm not sure. (Yes, I'm a snob. CX Business + First is nicer than SQ, although I haven't tried the A380 yet.) But from SFO, it's SQ1/2 via HKG and SQ16/17 via ICN. Neither are polar.
I know a half dozen guys, who, for the fun of it, took the SIN-EWR flights, on ID Tickets. They were all hyped up, until they came back bored after the extra long non-stop flights.

I was told that SQ has 3 sets of crew for each flight, to meet flight deck time limitations.

I must save up to do the run ! for the fun of it.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: PEP Arrival Process

Post by JR8 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 4:50 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: And actually since he's an American, no health check either. Just a declaration he needs to sign.

As far as I understand it most visas that give residency status, require a medical. The purpose of which is to screen your for TB and HIV.

Self-declaration? I'm not sure where/when that comes into anything, but I'm happy to be proved wrong!
I have not been to a doctor or had any kind of medical exam since before I arrived in Singapore. This is for EP P1 and then PEP. On the PEP, there was a declaration form that had me check a box that said I didn't knowingly have HIV, and that was it. Signed and done. Same thing for my wife (not American) and daughter (American but born in Vietnam).
Well I never, learn something new every day! But you do need a medical for an LTVP or Student Pass. Logic would suggest that they therefore believe the latter applicants to be a higher health risk?? Hmmm...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: PEP Arrival Process

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 4:58 pm

JR8 wrote: .. Well I never, learn something new every day! But you do need a medical for an LTVP or Student Pass. Logic would suggest that they therefore believe the latter applicants to be a higher health risk?? Hmmm...
All my life here, when I was on Pass, P2, once, and only once, I was not subject to Medical when I went for renewal. Though the last medical was 2 years before. I didn't want to tempt my fate and ask MOM why not :)

Oh, you forgot, Female Student pass holders are subject to pregnancy test as well !

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 5:56 pm

I've never be required to get a medical in Singapore either in regard to any EP or PR or renewal. Prior to my first EP however, I had to have a medical every year for the Diving company that I worked for, but that wasn't applicable to the Government here as I was on a tourist visa for the first 11 years here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Travelguy

Post by Travelguy » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 6:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm flying through UK to deliver my handover files to my corporate team. They'll meet me at the airport sit and have a cup of coffee before flying out.

Unfortunately my company policy purchases economy class for relocation / non business related trips. But I've heard SQ economy class is world class as well. So I'm going to grab SQ or Quantas from UK to Singapore. I fly on Quantas 380 London to Singapore in October and it was an amazing trip, very comfy, great service, on time, flights seem to run 60% full. So good chance of getting a row of seats for myself.

From what I've read, the PEP does not require a medical to be done. It does state though if you're found to have HIV, AIDS or TB, you have to leave the state.

I will let you know how things go.
Wen life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Travelguy

Post by Travelguy » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 7:16 pm

I was told that SQ has 3 sets of crew for each flight, to meet flight deck time limitations.
I believe it's actually 2 sets on rotation. I have a relative that flies with SQ; SIN /LAX and it sounds like crew 1 first six hours, crew 2 second six hours, crew 1 third six hours. Then the crew rotates on the return leg to even the work load.

I've heard it's a great experience though, from the cost of the flights I couldn't see myself flying business or first class anytime soon. The extra few thousand I could stay in sentosa for a week!
Wen life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 9:51 pm

Travelguy wrote: I've heard it's a great experience though, from the cost of the flights I couldn't see myself flying business or first class anytime soon. The extra few thousand I could stay in sentosa for a week!
Given the choice between a cross-Pacific flight on CX in First or a week in Sentosa, I'd take the flight. Actually, I'd fly business then spend a week in Thailand :P

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:44 pm

Travelguy wrote:From what I've read, the PEP does not require a medical to be done. It does state though if you're found to have HIV, AIDS or TB, you have to leave the state.
Correct, or at least that certainly was the case when I got my PEP in 2007. The declaration form required to collect the PEP included a statement to that effect, but no medical was needed.

I used to take the SIN-LAX non-stop flight in the days before they made it all business class. Sadly in our company all travel is in roach class (mis-spelling intended) and this (plus the Newark flight) was the only SQ service that had an 'executive economy' class, which made the whole thing more bearable. The A340-500 is a marvellous aircraft, and there was a lot more space available due to the reduced passenger numbers. But I gather it wasn't profitable (or not profitable enough), hence the change to all business class. Ho hum.
Be careful what you wish for

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:18 am

Mi Amigo wrote: I used to take the SIN-LAX non-stop flight in the days before they made it all business class. Sadly in our company all travel is in roach class (mis-spelling intended) and this (plus the Newark flight) was the only SQ service that had an 'executive economy' class, which made the whole thing more bearable. The A340-500 is a marvellous aircraft, and there was a lot more space available due to the reduced passenger numbers. But I gather it wasn't profitable (or not profitable enough), hence the change to all business class. Ho hum.
I was told the 100 Business class seats make more $ than the 180 of mixed EE + Business class. And is back into profitable range ! :)

And so is the seats - as of now, all sold out until next week !

Travelguy: Spend a week in Sentosa ? I would still go with zzm9980's idea of Thailand :D

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:43 am

ecureilx wrote:I was told the 100 Business class seats make more $ than the 180 of mixed EE + Business class. And is back into profitable range ! :)
I'm sure you're right, but it sure as hell disappointed me when they did that.
And so is the seats - as of now, all sold out until next week !
Interesting, obviously the good times are back for some. After GFC1, in ~2008-9 I often saw that the A340-500 flights were being cancelled as they couldn't get enough J class bums on seats back then to make it worth operating the flight.
Be careful what you wish for

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:50 am

Geez I'm really spoiled. I'd refuse to travel if my company stuck me in coach for over 6 hours... and I'm a pretty small guy, so it's not a size thing. I whined and whined when I had to fly coach SFO to JFK! Got them to at least let me book Virgin (50% more) so I could have Wifi :D