Singapore Expats

confinement nanny and new mums advice

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Cathi

confinement nanny and new mums advice

Post by Cathi » Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:26 pm

Hi!

My husband and I are expecting our first child together in July. He was recently told about 'confinement nanny services' here in Singapore. I am not sure if I am comfortable with the idea but as we have no family here and are basically alone I was hoping to get some advice here.
Has anyone used a confinement nanny in Singapore and could share their experience? Or has anybody got recommendations for a good company to use or a good alternative?
My husband will have to go back to work after I give birth and the thought of me being home alone with no time to recover worries us.

Also, is there anyone or anything we should avoid?

I am also looking to meet other new mums or mums to be for a cup of tea and a chat.
Does anybody know of any groups that meet near Orchard or would anybody like to meet up and have a chat?
I am 31 years old, due in July and have been living in Singapore for just over a year now.

Many Thanks,

Cathi

jas603

Post by jas603 » Thu, 16 Feb 2012 8:33 pm

Congrats. I didn't hire one myself but have heard varying reviews based on everyone's own experiences. But one thing that was common is to hire confinement nanny only through reccomendation n not only going by what agent says. Another option is to hire a domestic helper trained in infant care.but that is more permanent option than CN. It boils down to personal choice.

Btw I m mom of 13 month old N happy to meet or coffee n chat.

Take care

Brooklynjenn
Regular
Regular

Post by Brooklynjenn » Fri, 17 Feb 2012 8:07 am

Try the New Mother's Support Group in Tanglin Mall. They are on the top floor. They also publish a book that is a guide to Singapore for new moms that is extremely helpful.

mummy mantras
Regular
Regular

Post by mummy mantras » Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:24 pm

You might want to note that most confinement nannies in Singapore are middle-aged Malaysian-born Chinese-speaking ladies, whose job it is to ensure that both the mother and child follow traditional Chinese confinement practices in the first month after giving birth.

I too looked into getting a confinement nanny while I was pregnant with my twins and I discovered 3 things about traditional confinement nannies:

(1) If you are not comfortable following traditional Chinese confinement practices, it really doesn't make sense hiring a confinement nanny. Such practices include eating special meals (that are collagen-rich and contain 'warming' ingredients, like pig trotters and vinegar), taking special baths (during the confinement period, the new mother is not permitted to bathe or wash her hair too frequently, lest it 'cools' her body down - in fact, a friend of mine was only permitted to bathe once a week and was not permitted to wash her hair at all during the entire month - and when she bathes, she must use a special herbal mixture to do so), and ensuring special living arrangements (a new mother cannot be exposed to any form of moving air as it is traditionally believed that this will rob her of her 'warmth', therefore she must be kept tightly wrapped up at all times in an enclosed room).

(2) In addition to traditional practices regarding the mother, confinement nannies also have their own ways of dealing with newborns. To not follow their advice would mean incurring their distinct displeasure. I have had many friends who have almost come to blows with their confinement nannies (only to have their husbands break it up at the last minute) because they strongly disagreed with what their nannies were doing (e.g. rubbing medicinal oil on the baby's tummy and head to prevent 'coldness', putting the newborn baby to sleep on his tummy, tightly wrapping the baby's arms and legs to ensure that they 'grow straight', etc.).

(3) Confinement nannies typically only speak Chinese. Very few of them speak any English at all (why would they need to after all, since they are supposed to help a new mother follow traditional Chinese confinement practices). So, unless you can speak Mandarin, the chances are that even finding a confinement nanny whom you can communicate with will be a challenge.

For me, I didn't bother with a confinement nanny in the end. After many of my Singaporean friends had shared how much they had suffered during their confinements, there was no way I was going to do the same. :shock:

And the Singapore government wonders why more women won't have more children... :wink:

Dolph
Regular
Regular

Post by Dolph » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:45 am

Consider hiring a maid who has experience with newborns and make sure you meet up with other new mothers (New Mothers' Support Group is a good place to start). What you will need is practical help and someone who can give you a break occasionally so you can catch up on your sleep! Or have a shower.

Also, before baby arrives, consider cooking lots of meals for yourself and freeze them. You will be pleased you did once baby arrives.

That's my input from a European point of view.

Good luck with it all! It's an exciting time.

Jack-Daniels

Re: confinement nanny and new mums advice

Post by Jack-Daniels » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 7:04 pm

Cathi wrote:Hi!

My husband and I are expecting our first child together in July. He was recently told about 'confinement nanny services' here in Singapore. I am not sure if I am comfortable with the idea but as we have no family here and are basically alone I was hoping to get some advice here.
Has anyone used a confinement nanny in Singapore and could share their experience? Or has anybody got recommendations for a good company to use or a good alternative?
My husband will have to go back to work after I give birth and the thought of me being home alone with no time to recover worries us.

Also, is there anyone or anything we should avoid?

I am also looking to meet other new mums or mums to be for a cup of tea and a chat.
Does anybody know of any groups that meet near Orchard or would anybody like to meet up and have a chat?
I am 31 years old, due in July and have been living in Singapore for just over a year now.

Many Thanks,

Cathi
Hi Cathi,

I just hired a English speaking confinement nanny(Mt Alvernia Hospital trained) for 2 months from PEM Confinement agency. I'm a local who recently return back to Singapore after 2 years in Hkg, EDD late April.

The idea of hiring a confinement nanny is to help me cope with newborn(care,feed,bath) since I'm a first time mom. In Hkg, the locals have the same practice. You don't have to follow the traditional confinement practice( no shower/no washing of hair, I believe in science & hygiene). In my personal opinion, it's nice to have some help, let the confinement lady do the cooking and night feeding,concentrate on resting well to boost milk supply.

You can fire the confinement lady or feedback to the agency and get a free replacement if she's not right for you.

stromy

Bad Experience with Confinement Nanny - Be warned...

Post by stromy » Wed, 22 May 2013 11:58 am

Hi Mummies...

I'd like to share my review of my confinement lady - LI HUA
Hygiene level - C (at best)

Singapore HP: 82439296
Malaysia HP: 0127070671

I had a bad experience and hated confinement, largely due to this middle age woman in the house in this month. I will not get any help in the future.

What she did (may be trivial if you don't mind):
-- Washes my clothes and PANTIES, HER clothes and PANTIES together with baby's clothes! (I specifically told her not to mix baby's clothes.)
-- Color from her clothes ran and stained baby's clothes red. All his new rompers are stained red! Proceed to hide stained clothes in the cupboard and say "Baby grows so fast, he outgrew the tiny rompers already." I only found out after she left. Grrr...
-- Took baby's bib and used it as her face towel. When I asked her why is the bib in the toilet, she said "Don't know . Let baby use."
-- Baby threw up all over his cot. I asked her what happened, she said "Don't know. Don't know what happened."
-- Bully my helper - asked my helper to wake up in the middle of the night to help her take care of the baby. And then accused my helper of telling lies because she "had 30 years of experience" and never asked for any help.
-- Bully my helper - made her do all the kitchen cleaning after she made a mess of the kitchen.

Oh yes, she reminded me 1000 times to give her ang pow when she arrives and leaves. :mad:

mummy mantras
Regular
Regular

Re: Bad Experience with Confinement Nanny - Be warned...

Post by mummy mantras » Wed, 29 May 2013 11:03 am

stromy wrote:Oh yes, she reminded me 1000 times to give her ang pow when she arrives and leaves. :mad:
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Though, from what I've heard about other confinement nannies, she certainly isn't the worst of the lot! :roll:

siowling

Confinement Nanny

Post by siowling » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 5:30 pm

Hello mummies!

If you are look for a confinement nanny, you may contact aunty choo at 98476976.

i engaged for my confinement, she is an experienced confinement nanny. she took great care of my baby and cook different nice dishes everyday. most importantly i had learned alot of things from her. in terms of how to take care of newborn and what to look out for.

nothing beats personal experience! you may experience yourself and judge it! :)

good day!

astone

Post by astone » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 6:32 pm

Hi, I just became a father and me being Chinese from the UK we opted not to go with a confinement nanny. Seems to be a bit of a hit and miss affair - language and communication will be the biggest problem. Like you I was concerned with my wife not having the time and strength to cook meals for herself so we opted for home delivery of confinement food - my parents will be happy :-). Tomorrow will be our first day home so will let you know.

This company came as a recommendation from one of my local friends. They have different packages

http://www.natalessentials.com

siowling

Recommendation of Good confinement nanny

Post by siowling » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 11:24 am

Hey mummies!

I would like to recommend my EX CL. Her name is aunty choo. She had more than 10 years of CL experience and had taken care of dozen of babies before, so mummies you can rest assure that she will take good care of your babies!

Not only she is a responsible CL, her cooking is also another thing i want to recommend. I personally like her the food she cook for me, not only does it taste good, it is very nutritious for us as well.

Aunty choo is a non stay, which means she works from 9 to 5, i find it a real advantage if people like me who prefers to have more personal time with my babies and hubby. it also gives a chance to learn how to take care of a newborn during my confinement period. if there is anything i am unsure of, i am still able to consult aunty choo.

Mummies, if you are interested, you may contact her at 98476976 for more infomations! *her charges is reasonable too!*

heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Fri, 15 Nov 2013 2:08 pm

Hi all

My wife and I are expecting our first child next year and I'm just beginning to research topics like 'confinement' - there's so much to learn, where to begin?!

I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience to recommend whether or not a specialized confinement nanny is necessary if you have a grandparent available to look after the mother and child. My mother-in-law is Chinese-Singaporean and semi-retired, and i'm sure she would be more than happy to stay with us during the time following birth, but is that recommended? Any thoughts?

thanks!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 16 Nov 2013 1:05 pm

As unbelievable as it may seem the concept of confinement is confined mainly to this part of the world with the majority of the remaining world managing without. Does this answer your question? If your MiL is around and willing to help and you are willing to allow her to help, it is more than enough. We didn't have anybody to help and still survived without a major sweat.