Singapore Expats

Transfer from international school into local school

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
alnn

Transfer from international school into local school

Post by alnn » Thu, 09 Feb 2012 4:45 pm

I did a few searches but couldn't find a similar topic - I am wondering whether anyone has transferred their child (primary school years) from an International School into a local school? If so, did it work out?

The background is that I would like to send my child to a local school, but don't like my chances of getting into one while not PR. So my thoughts are to put my child in an international school in the meantime, and look to transfer her to a local school if the PR comes through.

Any views much appreciated..

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 2:02 pm

I know of two families who did that. One went for a very local school (Muslim converts) and the other for SJI. They are both very happy--they took 6 months to research the options and the kids had as much input as the parents.

The stress was really on the parents who lost a community at the International School--and have found it difficult at the local school level to interact with parents. That has not been y personal experience, but just sharing what friends have found. If youre very invested in the international school community it will seem like a big break-up.

Good luck--it can be done and happens more often in this economy!

PlantPeople

Transfer to Haig Girls School

Post by PlantPeople » Fri, 16 Mar 2012 2:09 pm

Hi,

We currently have our 8 year old daughter in an International School, but are considering moving her to Haig Girls School. We visited the campus and were very impressed with their emphasis in the arts, but are slightly concerned that it may be too rigorous for her. Anyone have any experience with this school, or with transferring their children from an international school to a local school?

Thanks in advance!

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 7:30 pm

Hi, I have a friend who moved his daughter from SAS to the Haig school about two years ago. He has said it was the best decision he ever made--especially since they will be here long-term.

From his stories, the school is very warm and nurturing. Plus, they do a lot of arts related intercurricular activities and events. It's the perfect school for his daughter. Not sure how rigorous it is--probably not any more so than a regular SG local school

Good luck!