Singapore Expats

Police Warning and PR Applicaiton

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
msabd1

Police Warning and PR Applicaiton

Post by msabd1 » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 6:14 pm

I was caught by police officers who acts as if they are waiting for me outside my office , as soon as I stepped out of my office they checked my belongings. Three sticks of cigarettes ( duty unpaid) was given to me by my ex-classmate and I was caught with it. However I was let off with a warning.

When I asked them will it go into their records, they said yes but its nothing to worry about as it is just a "warning record" and not a criminal record.

I am worried since I know that ICA do run background checks for PR Applications and I am afraid this will have serious implications on me no matter what assurance the police gave me.

And for your information it is a MRT police and not a normal policeman. and they seem like they are serving their national service they look so young.

My question is does anyone of you have similar experience ( police warning) and managed to get PR?
Or should I just move on and move to another country?

I see no point staying here if I am never gonna become a PR.

Please advice and thank you so much in advance!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 6:48 pm

What else can you do?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 8:07 pm

[-X :wave:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Police Warning and PR Applicaiton

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 8:34 pm

msabd1 wrote:I was caught by police officers who acts as if they are waiting for me outside my office , as soon as I stepped out of my office they checked my belongings. Three sticks of cigarettes ( duty unpaid) was given to me by my ex-classmate and I was caught with it. However I was let off with a warning.

When I asked them will it go into their records, they said yes but its nothing to worry about as it is just a "warning record" and not a criminal record.

I am worried since I know that ICA do run background checks for PR Applications and I am afraid this will have serious implications on me no matter what assurance the police gave me.

And for your information it is a MRT police and not a normal policeman. and they seem like they are serving their national service they look so young.

My question is does anyone of you have similar experience ( police warning) and managed to get PR?

Three "sticks" of cigarettes? Are those individual cigarettes? or a carton?
(And how do they know duty was unpaid?)

Either way, you probably looked like an undesirable and wouldn't have gotten a PR anyway. I suspect the police don't harrass those that fit MOM's flavor of the year profile. Sorry bud.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 10:47 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
msabd1 wrote:I was caught by police officers who acts as if they are waiting for me outside my office , as soon as I stepped out of my office they checked my belongings. Three sticks of cigarettes ( duty unpaid) was given to me by my ex-classmate and I was caught with it. However I was let off with a warning.

Three "sticks" of cigarettes? Are those individual cigarettes? or a carton?
(And how do they know duty was unpaid?)

Either way, you probably looked like an undesirable and wouldn't have gotten a PR anyway. I suspect the police don't harrass those that fit MOM's flavor of the year profile. Sorry bud.
For the record, all cigarettes in Singapore have SDPC on each cigarette just above the filter.....

http://singapore-the-fine-city.blogspot ... ettes.html

Besides a must law for health warning labels on cigarettes package, Singapore implemented yet another new law, passed down on 1st January 2009. Each individual stick of cigarette will be marked with "SDPC", which is short form for Singapore Duty Paid Cigarettes. Anyone who is caught in possession, buying or selling cigarettes without SDPC mark will be deem as committing an offence under Singapore's Customs and GST Acts.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Sat, 04 Feb 2012 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

msabd1

Post by msabd1 » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 11:35 pm

Well I guess what caught their attention was I was wearing casual clothes ( i changed after work) and it was three sticks that my friend passed to me. Hmm if anyone has experience do post your answers and meanwhile i shall start packing my bags before my contract ends. Thanks for the replies anyway :)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 04 Feb 2012 5:41 am

msabd1 wrote:Well I guess what caught their attention was I was wearing casual clothes ( i changed after work) and it was three sticks that my friend passed to me. Hmm if anyone has experience do post your answers and meanwhile i shall start packing my bags before my contract ends. Thanks for the replies anyway :)
Don't worry about it just apply. You do not know if you didn't apply
Ok you screw up on one sh*t but that is not the end of your life here.
I see nothing major. Relax
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

msabd1

Post by msabd1 » Sat, 04 Feb 2012 12:31 pm

Thanks for the reply Mad Scientist. Finally some optimistic view. I got friends who are police and 80% told me not to worry but I am quite negative thinking to be honest. I dunno where else I can move since I feel so at home here already. And the sad part is those cigarettes are given to me and not as if I smuggled them.

Anymore feedbacks are greatly appreciated :) have a good weekend everyone

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 04 Feb 2012 1:49 pm

msabd1 wrote:Thanks for the reply Mad Scientist. Finally some optimistic view. I got friends who are police and 80% told me not to worry but I am quite negative thinking to be honest. I dunno where else I can move since I feel so at home here already. And the sad part is those cigarettes are given to me and not as if I smuggled them.

Anymore feedbacks are greatly appreciated :) have a good weekend everyone
well, how did you come up with this 80% probability thing ?? :)

Anyway, whether you smuggled them, or picked them up from the street, or found them or a friend gave it .. the law is straightforward.

you were in possession of duty unpaid cigerettes ..

Same like having drugs but saying you didn't smuggle them or buy them ..

Hence, for me, as an occasional smoker, when somebody offers me a cigerette, if the packs doesn't have the warning sign, I plainly refuse with excuses like "don't like that brand" or .. "I only smoke x brand .. " ..

because one too many times, I have seen friends being pulled aside and checked for duty unpaid smokes, and with the new rule that every stick must have the label, when I see guys pulling cigerettes from cigerette cases, rather than risking a fine or more, i just refuse

Oh, MS is right ... and if your crime was as serious as you are worrying, you will be Changi or Kaki Bukit ... !!! and Not posting on this forum ..

msabd1

Post by msabd1 » Sat, 04 Feb 2012 2:39 pm

What I mean by the 80% thing is majority of my friends who are policemen said it wont affect my PR application but still I am worried after the incident whether it is still worth investing on my future here :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Feb 2012 3:45 pm

The only thing wrong with the 80% figure is the fact that the police have absolutely nothing to do with ICA. But ICA can access the Police database to check for behaviour that may not be becoming to a new citizen/PR. Again, it's all a matter of degree. And this degree thing is what the gahmen like to keep close to their collective chests. They can turn up or turn down the temperature as they wish, depending on the wishes of their overlords.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 05 Feb 2012 11:22 am

zzm9980 wrote:Three "sticks" of cigarettes? Are those individual cigarettes? or a carton?
Seems a bit strange to write "three sticks of cigarettes" instead of just "three cigarettes," so I'm still wondering what the OP meant. :)

Three cartons would surely not have been treated just as a warning though, right?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 05 Feb 2012 11:28 am

aster wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Three "sticks" of cigarettes? Are those individual cigarettes? or a carton?
Seems a bit strange to write "three sticks of cigarettes" instead of just "three cigarettes," so I'm still wondering what the OP meant. :)

Three cartons would surely not have been treated just as a warning though, right?

This is what the locals call them, in their fumbling and inarticulate patois.

3 'sticks' = 3 cigarettes

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 06 Feb 2012 9:11 am

JR8 wrote:
aster wrote:

This is what the locals call them, in their fumbling and inarticulate patois.

3 'sticks' = 3 cigarettes
And the outsourced teams doing checking don't differentiate between 1 stick and one box or one carton .. all get fined !!!!

Oh, they removed the 'escape' clause, when coming in from Malaysia via land check point, where they ignored if you have on box, as long as it was opened. Now even one box or less gets confiscated ..

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 06 Feb 2012 11:10 am

ecureilx wrote:Oh, they removed the 'escape' clause, when coming in from Malaysia via land check point, where they ignored if you have on box, as long as it was opened. Now even one box or less gets confiscated ..
Does the ok for an open pack still apply to tourists coming in by plane? I don't smoke, but I recall hearing about how this is ok.

On a side note, they will wave you through if you have an open pack of chewing gum.