Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Moving to Singapore

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Feb 2012 10:55 pm

fizz85 wrote:
JR8 wrote:Fizz85, a free career guidance tip for you :)

In English, this and that are written 'this' and 'that'. Not 'dis' and 'dat'.

U probably don't realise how slovenly UR text-speak comes across as, but I'm assuming you wouldn't use this when dealing with potential employers.
LMAO! HEheheh! Yeah, you are right there. I guess, i got too carried away with using THAT kind of short forms in text messaging. : p
Will surely take your advice on this one! hehe
Yep, you never know who reads these sites and who you might be interviewing with the next day. You wouldn't get very far with that kind of writing sitting across the desk from me I guarantee you. Unless, that is, you are only a PLSE holder applying for the position of a vector control worker. Then, if you are still breathing I'll hire you as long as you can carry 7 kg.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 02 Feb 2012 11:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yep, you never know who reads these sites and who you might be interviewing with the next day. You wouldn't get very far with that kind of writing sitting across the desk from me I guarantee you. Unless, that is, you are only a PLSE holder applying for the position of a vector control worker. Then, if you are still breathing I'll hire you as long as you can carry 7 kg.
Can't help it but to smile at your comment. True indeed.

In fact, from my encounters with those from pest management industry in Singapore, this type of license is now held by mostly foreigners (especially from Myanmar, China, etc). Heck, you don't see much of even Malaysians holding this one.
Last edited by the lynx on Fri, 03 Feb 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 12:11 am

sweetgazebo wrote:BTW, I just realised the LTVP can only be applied for a dependent. So if you are the sole applicant for the LTVP it will not entertained.

I suggest that any advice you give re: visas comes with a bleeding great health-warning in flashing lights upon it.

--- If you're just going to confuse and mislead people, maybe it's better not to bother at all?

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 1:06 am

dis .... dat .... lazy way of speaking / writing m'anglish! but then again, speaking m'anglish sounds so humble. I'd rather say 'solli fren din call u' than 'I am sorry I did not return your call', the latter too long-winded :)

fizz85 wrote: I truly understand where ur coming from. Like what i did, i applied most of the jobs online. You might want to check out dis job search site:
http://myjobstreet.jobstreet.com/home/login.php?site=
http://sg.jobsdb.com/SG
I kept on applying and submitting my resumes. Gladly now i have 3 interviews dat have kindly arrange for me. ....

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 10:46 am

Hey fizz85, got your pm. No probs at all. Do buzz if you need anything else. and all the best in your interviews.

fizz85 wrote:
sweetgazebo wrote:BTW, all the best in your job search!
Hey, thank you so much. You have been a big help for me. Appreciate it so much. :)

Fulvian

Post by Fulvian » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 3:17 pm

Actually I had done what fizz85 suggested. I've been sending application to many Singaporean companies through various job sites every day for the past few months, but none of them ever contacted me, instead I've been hunted down by numerous Malaysian companies and recruiters. I'm guessing either the Singaporean companies realized I'm abroad and must not be ready for interview or I've been simply unlucky, I tend to believe it's the former, that's why I'm considering moving to Singapore first and seek jobs from there instead.

Is it true that LTVP is dependent upon existing visas? I'm a lone ranger and have no relatives/family/spouse in Singapore :lol:

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 3:30 pm

I am guessing fizz85 is able to secure interviews due to her profile. From my experience, the more qualified you are and then again, depending on which field are you applying for jobs, the more difficult it would be to secure interviews from outside of Singapore.

In my case, for eg., I send out like close to 900 apps in the last 2 years I was out of Singapore and only managed to secure 2 interviews, with one of the interviews only reverting back 1.5 years later. On top of this, I have a dual degree from a well-known university in Europe at that! The competition was tough!

Since being in Singapore, I have noticed it's easier for me to secure interviews here. A lot of recruiters have advised that it would be better to secure interviews whilst still in the country becoz it would be easier for them to contact you and have you come for a face-to-face interview with them than for them to fly you out of the country for an interview (which in my case happened for one of my interviews when I was applying for jobs from outside of Singapore).

I know of some of my countrymen who have taken the risk of resigning from their jobs back home, come into Singapore on a visitor's visa, bunk with a friend and secure interviews during their visit here. It's been a higher success rate so far for these people than for those who apply for jobs from outside of Singapore.

Since you don't know anyone in Singapore, then you will have to prepare to spend on accomodation for the time you are allowed in the country to look for jobs. There are places in Singapore, if you searched thoroughly, are going for only $15-20 / night (only room/bed and shared room/bathroom) with internet access (per min charges).

And yes, if you have done your research, the LTVP can only be sponsored by the existing pass holder for his/her dependants.
Fulvian wrote:Actually I had done what fizz85 suggested. I've been sending application to many Singaporean companies through various job sites every day for the past few months, but none of them ever contacted me, instead I've been hunted down by numerous Malaysian companies and recruiters. I'm guessing either the Singaporean companies realized I'm abroad and must not be ready for interview or I've been simply unlucky, I tend to believe it's the former, that's why I'm considering moving to Singapore first and seek jobs from there instead.

Is it true that LTVP is dependent upon existing visas? I'm a lone ranger and have no relatives/family/spouse in Singapore :lol:

Fulvian

Post by Fulvian » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 4:20 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply and sharing your experience.

I don't really mind nor feel worried about the accommodation or cost of living while looking for job there, I've been saving for years for this plan... :wink:

What I'm worried is the visa, in the past I had done numerous visa-runs to enter Malaysia before I got my legit work permit (it might be why the Singaporean immigration already felt suspicious on my second holiday entrance to Singapore last month, they might think "if this guy has been visa-running very often in a neighboring country in the past, he might plan to do it here as well").

Wish I could get a visa that would last a few months that lets me legally seek jobs. In short, an alternative to EPEC which lasts a few months (preferably half a year just to feel safe).

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 10:44 pm

the only other option is the PEP but you would need to prove you were earning at least $8k in your current role. Another barrier with the PEP is getting a local sponsor. Without a local sponsor, chances of getting the PEP is slim.
Fulvian wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply and sharing your experience.

I don't really mind nor feel worried about the accommodation or cost of living while looking for job there, I've been saving for years for this plan... :wink:

What I'm worried is the visa, in the past I had done numerous visa-runs to enter Malaysia before I got my legit work permit (it might be why the Singaporean immigration already felt suspicious on my second holiday entrance to Singapore last month, they might think "if this guy has been visa-running very often in a neighboring country in the past, he might plan to do it here as well").

Wish I could get a visa that would last a few months that lets me legally seek jobs. In short, an alternative to EPEC which lasts a few months (preferably half a year just to feel safe).