Singapore Expats

Health service in Singapore

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Lee54

Health service in Singapore

Post by Lee54 » Tue, 24 Jan 2012 9:57 pm

Hi

I am moving out to Singapore with my wife and son who will be over 14 months when we get out there at the end of March. Can anyone please give me a heads up as to how the health service works out in Singapore. We are currently in the UK where it is fair to say most people rely on the NHS save for certain things which they might go private under say a work private insurance policy. I understand that most expats in Singapore rely on their private insurance which will of course be offered to me through my job. I am in the process of working out what exactly that covers but generally I was looking for guidance on the following:

1. what do private insurance policies typically cover and what do they need to cover, i.e. how much does it cost to go to the GP, the dentist and / or say a paediatrician for my son.

2. private insurance policies often exclude existing conditions. I take medication for a condition which is highly unlikely to ever require hospitalisation but again, what does a prescription cost etc if it is not covered.

I appreciate that the answer to some of this is whatever the terms of my insurance policy says but I am trying to understand generally what the cost of healthcare is in Singapore, how it works and whether private healthcare policies are comparable to what we typically have in the UK which have excesses and exclusions which do not really cater for day-to-day healthcare issues.

thanks

Sir

Post by Sir » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:42 pm

Depending on the type of Pass you gain, your company will be required to provide you a level of health care.

Basicailly, if you're paid more they have to provide you with better care as you're worth more to them and the state.

cant find the page that lists what the cut-off levels are im afraid. its on the Ministry of Manpowers website somewhere

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 1:44 pm

Sir wrote:Depending on the type of Pass you gain, your company will be required to provide you a level of health care.

Basicailly, if you're paid more they have to provide you with better care as you're worth more to them and the state.

cant find the page that lists what the cut-off levels are im afraid. its on the Ministry of Manpowers website somewhere
Would love to see where it is published, at the MOM site ..

In the meantime, I beg to differ ..

Companies can opt to provide medical care or not ..

Most companies provide basic outpatient treatment, tied up with some form of medical plan (Like IHP or such .. ) and a co-sharing for Surgery .. and a few don't provide that even ..

You can always opt for a comprehensive medical plan, when you are here .. doesnt' cost much though ...

For public health systems, foreigners pay more, and are not allowed to avail for the lowest wards - they are restricted to the upper 2 or 3 tier of the hospital wards / suites.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 2:00 pm

And I saw this, on an expat guide for Singapore ...

Hope this clears all ..

Statutory Requirement: There is no statutory requirement to provide private health insurance benefits to employees in Singapore under the Employment Act. Working professionals who are Singapore citizens or Permanent Residents are automatically provided with a low-cost medical insurance called Medishield – a basic tier of insurance protection for all Singaporeans. As part of making contributions to the employee’s retirement fund called CPF, a certain portion of the contribution is automatically allocated to the employer’s Medisave account. Medishield insurance scheme helps Medisave account holders and their dependents meet the cost of treatment during old-age or serious illnesses. Medishield premiums are deducted from the Medisave accounts.

Common Practice: When it comes to healthcare insurance benefits, it really depends on the Singapore employer. Most of the big companies in Singapore offer additional private medical insurance benefits to their employees. Most of the small companies in Singapore however do not offer private medical insurance benefits to their staff. To provide a higher level of healthcare benefits than what is provided under the basic Medshield scheme, as well as to provide medical insurance benefits to Employment Pass holders (foreign employees), employers can offer private healthcare insurance benefits through private insurance companies in Singapore.

Sir

Post by Sir » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:03 am

ok i seem to have been confused, all i can find is regarding a work permit, not an employment pass

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... rview.aspx

see "Employer requirements"

When you employ a Foreign Worker in Singapore, it is your responsibility to:

Pay the medical care and hospitalisation expenses;

- Employers of Foreign Workers are required to purchase and maintain medical insurance for their workers.

- For medical insurance policies taken up or renewed on/or after 1 January 2010, the insurance coverage must be at least $15,000 per year for each worker's inpatient care and day surgery during his/her stay in Singapore.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:15 am

Sir wrote: - Employers of Foreign Workers are required to purchase and maintain medical insurance for their workers....
Again, Foreign worker = work pass .. not EP :) :)

Though I am not sure where S Pass stands now ..

and still doesnt' help the OP much :)

My posting stands .. about the medical benefits .. if employers do decide to provide such :)

I am still amused about your statement "if you're paid more they have to provide you with better care as you're worth more to them and the state."

Did you confuse Singapore with another country ?? :) :)