Singapore Expats

Converting a UK licence

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
skijock

Converting a UK licence

Post by skijock » Sun, 22 Jan 2012 12:10 am

Hi All

there is a good chance we will relocate to Singapore and will find out for sure next week. From the search function I understand we can convert our UK licence and will keep it, but do we need the photo card as well as the paper licence. We never got around to getting one issued as we spent a lot of time away from the UK.

I have tried the SG police / government site but cannot get it to open.

thanks in advance

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:04 am

I have no idea if SG requires you to have a photo card, just a valid license.

However, on the notion of "valid license", then you are in a catch 22.

When you move to Singapore, the UK requires that you update your address details. Seeing as you have a paper license, they will require you to apply for a photocard license when you update your details. So in that sense, you technically need a photocard license.

Unless you have stayed in the same house for the last 12+ years, you should have already updated your driving license details and already be in posession of a photocard license...and you say you spend a lot of time away from the UK...guess you didn't update details yet?

But really, for the sake of a couple of forms, a few quid and a photo, why not just apply for the photocard now and make life easy for yourself?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 23 Jan 2012 2:03 pm

At the very least, get a certified copy of your driving particulars. In the US, most states offer a notary service that provides you with information such as date of issue, endorsements, limitations, etc. If you're license doesn't have this already printed on it, you'll need to get it anyway.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 23 Jan 2012 3:42 pm

I think it would make sense to apply for the photo card, I think the cost is minimal if you have changed address.
nutnut

skijock

Post by skijock » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 3:08 am

Thanks all,I will get the card before we leave. Now for the small matter of working out how to finance a car.......................