Singapore Expats

Housing in Singapore

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
lucane

Housing in Singapore

Post by lucane » Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:12 am

Greetings,

I am an American currently living in Shanghai, but I have two older family members that are moving to Hong Kong or Singapore later this year (non-work related).

I have some general questions and would be appreciative of all constructive feedback.

1) Are there places in Singapore where they can rent a decently constructed house without breaking the bank? Preferably places under 4,000 SGD pm. And yes, I do know that housing in SG is very expensive, so 4000 SGD pm is quite low. They need not commute to work so being more isolated is not an issue as long as a supermarket is not too far away.

I am not interested in specific properties for rent, but rather just general areas of Singapore in which to look to find these types of rentals (for example: Northeast Singapore, or ABC District).

2) Same question as #1, but with condos. Once again, decent quality & lower price trump any location considerations (they need not commute).

3) I have seen ads online for villas / condos / HDB for rent in Singapore, but are the ads reliable? I know that in Shanghai most all real estate advertisements are fraudulent (pictures wrong, price wrong, property might not even exist).

Thank you for your assistance!

Search By

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:24 am

Go through this guide and see if some of your concerns are addressed: http://singaporeexpats.com/guides-for-e ... -guide.htm

That said, you can use google maps and gothere.sg to check a location's accessibility by getting transport directions.

Listings--if they have photos--aren't exactly fraudulent but rather, would omit something.

Also please note, our host (singaporeexpats.com) is a real property agency. You can browse their listings to survey the field.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Re: Housing in SG

Post by x9200 » Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:28 pm

lucane wrote:Greetings,

I am an American currently living in Shanghai, but I have two older family members that are moving to Hong Kong or Singapore later this year (non-work related).
Are they aware that they need to have a valid long term pass (LTSVP, DP etc.) to rent anything legally here? If on a short stay pass ("tourist visa") they can only use hotels and such.

nakatago

Re: Housing in SG

Post by nakatago » Tue, 17 Jan 2012 3:28 pm

x9200 wrote:
lucane wrote:Greetings,

Are they aware that they need to have a valid long term pass (LTSVP, DP etc.) to rent anything legally here? If on a short stay pass ("tourist visa") they can only use hotels and such.
Good point! Missed that one.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

lucane

Post by lucane » Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:46 pm

naktago, thanks for the information & the link.

x9200, they are considering residency via the investment route (although no one is thrilled about sinking money into what seems to be government directed investment funds).

Are any parts of Singapore less flood prone than others? Should much consideration even be given towards that?

Thanks everyone.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:32 pm

lucane wrote:Are any parts of Singapore less flood prone than others? Should much consideration even be given towards that?
No.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 3:56 am

lucane wrote:naktago, thanks for the information & the link.

x9200, they are considering residency via the investment route (although no one is thrilled about sinking money into what seems to be government directed investment funds).

Are any parts of Singapore less flood prone than others? Should much consideration even be given towards that?

Thanks everyone.
You cannot gain residency by buying housing in Singapore. I would suggest, if you/they haven't yet done so, have a good read here:

http://www.guidemesingapore.com/relocat ... tor-scheme

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 9:32 am

beppi wrote:
lucane wrote:Are any parts of Singapore less flood prone than others? Should much consideration even be given towards that?
No.
And that would be No to both. :) Flooding shouldn't impact them, unless they're parking an Aston Martin on Orchard Rd.... (joke, don't seriously worry about it)

YML

View houses with reputable agents

Post by YML » Thu, 26 Jan 2012 12:33 pm

Hi there

###No advertisements here please. Use classified for this purpose.###

Cheers
Karen

YML

Re: View houses with reputable agents

Post by YML » Thu, 26 Jan 2012 1:04 pm

Hi Moderator

Unfortunately, your classifieds do not allow me to advertise for rental of the whole house. I posted and paid for an ad but was rejected as you said you guys only allow us to advertise for rooms. But I see many families here looking for whole apts instead of just rooms. I thinnk you should review your classified regulations on this!!
YML wrote:Hi there

###No advertisements here please. Use classified for this purpose.###

Cheers
Karen

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 26 Jan 2012 1:08 pm

The owner of this forum is a property related company so if you want to advertise the whole unit/house just go to the button "post your property" or the link below:
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/housing- ... operty.htm